Dj's United

Do You Switch It Off?

During the function...  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I invite requests by SMS, so my mobile stays on, but on Vibrate mode.

It took a little trial and error to work out a really safe place to leave the phone behind the disco. Too near the radio mic, or even the corded mic (both Shure SM-58s), too close to the radio mic receiver, or the one remaining record deck and the phone-to-network registration electronic "gallops" (every 15-20 mins, and every time an incoming text is received) are audible through the disco audio (if the mic channel/record deck channel is on/up etc). So...leaving the phone on the CD/Record cases, normally about 4 or 5 ft away from the audio gear is where I keep my phone during gigs.

I answered NO I dont switch off my mobile.

Have it on to receive texts, I dought I would be able to hear it ringing anyway, and even if I did having a phone convo in a disco enviroment would be near impossible.

I switch mine to silent vibrate and have it in my pocket smile icon

Dito.... Imagine your on the floor doing a speech, presentation etc and your phone rings in yopu pocket :fright: . Proper unprofessional...

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

i never have my phone off

but i must say thats a great idea gary ill need to try this and see if it flies

It took a little trial and error to work out a really safe place to leave the phone behind the disco. Too near the radio mic, or even the corded mic (both Shure SM-58s), too close to the radio mic receiver, or the one remaining record deck and the phone-to-network registration electronic "gallops" (every 15-20 mins, and every time an incoming text is received) are audible through the disco audio (if the mic channel/record deck channel is on/up etc). So...leaving the phone on the CD/Record cases, normally about 4 or 5 ft away from the audio gear is where I keep my phone during gigs.

Hmmm you must have something unscreened somewhere... As I put mine right next to the Domestic laptop that I use and it never makes a sound over my PA.. But it does next to your Professional Denons umm food for thought there I think....

Nik

I switch mine off. When it has been switched on, never had a problem with the radio mic or the kit but understand others have. Saying that, the car radio has been a different matter!

Do you have a sign or something with text the DJ your request and your number? or do you have to mention your number over the mic?

Steve

Do you have a sign or something with text the DJ your request and your number? or do you have to mention your number over the mic?

My text request number is shown on the paper request slips which I place on the tables/bars etc, depending on venue. Also I have an LED moving message sign which displays greetings and various pieces of information including the text request number.

Accepting text requests has the advantage of you then have peoples mobile numbers, as you can't withhold a mobile number from an SMS text message. Good for mailshots by SMS although I've only ever used that idea to blast out a Merry Christmas message to that years requestors 3 or 4 times/years.

Hmmm you must have something unscreened somewhere... As I put mine right next to the Domestic laptop that I use and it never makes a sound over my PA.. But it does next to your Professional Denons umm food for thought there I think....

Nik

Not the Denon (if it's all properly wired) as mine sits about 2 inches from my Denon and picks up nothing, not even a signal in some hotels :rolleyes:

Not the Denon (if it's all properly wired) as mine sits about 2 inches from my Denon and picks up nothing, not even a signal in some hotels :rolleyes:

Nah I know mate just a little jibe for Gary lol. I love him really :dan+ju:

Nik

I invite requests by SMS, so my mobile stays on, but on Vibrate mode

mmmm....Reminds me of a Bar near me that did this and all the DJ got all night was nasty and abusive text messages! :aa

http://thatsentertainment.webeden.co.uk

Dj's and Discos for all your needs

PLI & PAT covered

Est. 1988

I always keep my mobile on because i dont wear a watch, but it never rings as most of my gigs are either on Dartmoor or in a granite built building

But i do find it funny on the way home when you get a couple of missed calls & messages left MY DJ HASENT TURNED UP CAN YOU HELP :D :D

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3831/av4967fb4.jpg

Blimey Kenny!! Are you holding a board with your prisoner number on here?

Steve

• 1 year later...

Always on vibrate, although her indoors I never reply or answer!

lol.

Never had a problem with interferance though :)

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

my mobile is on 24/7 (Doesn't mean that I will answer it) but at a function silent mode until the end of the function.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.