Dj's United

Hello

I've been looking at amplifiers to go with 2 subs 300RMS and 2 tops 300RMS form class D and was wondering if Skytec amplifiers sold on ebay are any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKYTEC-PROFESSIONAL-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I would need an amp that could run 1200W -1500W rms at 4 ohms to power all speakers or would it be better to get 2 amp's 600w -700w at 8ohms? Any other suggestions for amps?

Thanks Llyr,

avoid the skytech....

:nono:

i will avoid the skytec amp! The t-amp above is 2x 1200W per side, much better value for money,

It it possible to cap it down so it is not possible for me to blow 4x 300RMS speakers?

These amps are very similar to the DAP Audio 'Vintage' amps and as such aren't too bad, almost certainly made by the same company that makes the T-Amps from Thomann (Shenzhen Bao Ye Heng) or one the other massive OEMS.

But think of all these as budget amps either way.

The earlier Skytec units (with the grey painted front) are at the lower end of the scale, as a former service engineer for a Skytec dealership we saw no end with cracked circuit boards because the mounting screws had been tightened so tight they'd induced hairline cracks in the pcb. I belive this is not the case with the later ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the skytec PRO-1000 amp - its not bad, does the job as a backup (in fact its still operating as the main amp).

The LED Meters aren't exactly correct on it, right channel meter is higher than the left, yet it sounds balanced.. Cheap and err cheerful.

Its lasted longer than the Biema W220 amp !

Any thoughts on the Stageline STA-700 800W Amp? I think this is made by the same chinese company as the Biema Windforce ones (exact same layout on the back panel), and the front panel isnt that much different (same number of LEDs etc).

I only ask as the STA-700 is the replacement for the broken Biema W220 which went missing at the mail order company!

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Ah yes. We had one of these in recently. They certainly sound ok and feel nice enough, I don't remember if I recognised who made them. This one simply had a faulty blue power-on LED which was confusing the customer by going out when it was warm.

They are not an expensive amplifier if you know what I mean!!

If your looking for cost effectiveness, then Citronic, Numark, Gemini are all very similar. I personally like the QSC RMX 2450 - 1250w into 2 ohms, 750w into 4 ohms and 500w into 8 ohms. Now because of the way rateings are done, that means it's more like 1000w into 2 ohms, 600w into 4 ohms and 350w into 8 ohms.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Ah yes. We had one of these in recently. They certainly sound ok and feel nice enough, I don't remember if I recognised who made them. This one simply had a faulty blue power-on LED which was confusing the customer by going out when it was warm.

They are not an expensive amplifier if you know what I mean!!

That's a bizarre issue. What caused it? Dry joint or something more major?

Hopefully I should pick it up tomorrow, and will give it a try a week sunday at a joint 6th Birthday party...

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Personally not a big fan of blue LEDs, they just seem quite intense when there's no need to be. I have a server with a blue power LED on it, and in the dark it lights upt he other wall..

What's wrong with good ole green ? ;)

David

DJ David Graham