Dj's United

Djs With Children...are The Kids Interested?

The question is orientated towards the DJs with kids. Have the kids expressed an interest in DJ'ing? Do you encourage them to take an interest? How do the kids respond to their friends about you being a DJ? Do the kids find you a 'hero' or a bit of an embarrassment! Will you want the kids to take an interest when they are older?

The question is orientated towards the DJs with kids. Have the kids expressed an interest in DJ'ing? Do you encourage them to take an interest? How do the kids respond to their friends about you being a DJ? Do the kids find you a 'hero' or a bit of an embarrassment! Will you want the kids to take an interest when they are older?

Too early to tell. She's only just 12 months. She does like the flashing lights and buttons though, and loves music.

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

as the child of a d.j. i grew up with my dad being a d.j. i loved everything about it.. but i think mostly as a young lad it was how BIG & loud the speakers were!! - brilliant!! "i gotta get some of them" That was it for me! interested!

It was my uncle who got me in to it, and I loved the flashy lights that done it for me but now my uncles daughter (my cousin) has just started mixing and shes 15 so yeah I think they do take an interest.

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

I have a 19yr old daughter with absolutely no interest but my 10yr old son sees dad as a superstar dj and still doesnt want to become one but my 14yr old nephew showed interest until those pesky things called girls distracted him :dan+ju:

so its back to just me, myself and i

I have a 19yr old daughter with absolutely no interest but my 10yr old son sees dad as a superstar dj and still doesnt want to become one but my 14yr old nephew showed interest until those pesky things called girls distracted him :dan+ju:

so its back to just me, myself and i

did you not point out to your nephew the advantages of being a dj with the ladies lol you might be able to regain his intrest :dan+ju:

did you not point out to your nephew the advantages of being a dj with the ladies lol you might be able to regain his intrest :dan+ju:

only being 15 he sees anything over 21 as old and wrinkly :hurt:

Ill give him another couple of years and he'll be back tongue out icon

I have 2 daughters- They are 14 and 10

Tanya, my 14 year old, comes with us to kids gigs and seems to enjoy herself.

With regards to embarrassment, I thought that parents were put on this earth to embarrass their kids. tongue out icon

They don't call me Krazy for nothing! Krazy by name - Krazy by nature !!!

Age doesn't matter, unless you're a cabinet!

K K Disco

I have 3 boys - 2 @ 5 and 1 @ 2

They love the lights and music

Jake has expressed his feelings to other DJ's @ the club my mum works at when they have kids parties

His comment was "My daddies disco is better than yours", that makes you so proud

My 8yr old lad has been playing with my setup. Once I showed him how to cue things up and basic cross fading, he had a great time. He managed to dip into the 70's - started playing Jacksons, then found T-Rex.. Quite a good little set :-)

He now keeps asking to have a go everytime he comes over. I just need to hide the "High School Musical" tracks....

I think my two love the lights, but not sure if they think its "cool" - my daughter is 12 but less musically inclined.

When they turn teenagers, I'm sure they will have more of an opinion!

Jason

With regards to embarrassment, I thought that parents were put on this earth to embarrass their kids. tongue out icon

I see this as my mission now that mine have grown up and I think I do a pretty good job tongue out icon

As for being interested in DJing - nope - they all have degrees and probably regard what I do as manual labour!!

I have two boys, ona aged 21 the other 17.

Although they don't mind coming to help me set up load out, they generally disapppear for the other bit as they find it boring sitting around.

With regard to wanting to DJ, I think it's a resounding 'no'

My youngest son would rather be out with his mates, and me eldest would rather watch MTV as he says the women are better looking on the videos the the real life ones throwing themselves about on my dance floors!

My son (11) is more interested in his guitar (cooler than being a dj !!) but my daughter (8) likes to have a go at mixing until it just descends into "lets push every slider up to the top" !!

His comment was "My daddies disco is better than yours", that makes you so proud

Ha ha my daughter went up to the DJ at the wedding we went to last week and said "My daddy is a dj" to him.. and kept saying that to him about 5/6 times..

She seems quite impressed and the other day didn't want me to DJ last night so I could be on the other side of the mixer.. Can't win! :rolleyes:

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Samuel, my boy is 12 this year. He regularly helps his mom with the kids disco's and has been to a few of my gigs with me... We are giving him a health dose of quality music injections at the moment. So he will have the grounding to be a good alround DJ and not think if it aint in the charts or dont do a constant 150 BPM it aint music bregade.

He loves T Rex, Queen, The Beatles & The Beach Boys just to name a few.

I think he will be out doing some school functions in the next few years lol

Nik

My eldest son, 20, is now my roadie and he enjoys coming along and seems generally interested, although I don't think he would ever run his own show - but you never know.

My eldest daughter (16) is quite keen and I now take her along to all teenage & chldrens' discos where she pretty much runs the show music-wise, although using the mic is still a lifetime away for her!

Interesting to note that she has become critical of other discos, now that she's run some shows herself: One event (obviously I can't say which) she commented on the tiny rig the guy turned up with - a laptop on a small table and two tiny lights, one on either side, and a couple of smallish speakers which apparently "sounded crap". I know for a fact this guy got paid a lot of money, yet the equipment was woefully inadequate for the venue and the audience, according to her. He alledgedly kept dissappearing for a fag leaving the disco to run unattended for up to 10 minutes at a time which she considered was very poor, he refused to play requests for some of the more obvious tracks for that agegroup, and helped himself to the buffet. Now - I know this buffet thing gets discussed from time to time, but I was interested to hear how it looked to one of the the audience, and to hear from her that it seemed very out of place for the DJ to be there in the queue with them.

My younger daughter (14) thinks it's cool to have a dad who's a DJ, but isn't really interested in the work itself.

The two younger lads haven't really shown much of an opinion yet.

My 4 year old son loves to help me pack the car for gigs and given half a chance would come with me.

A few months ago, well after his bedtime, I was playing around, mixing a few things and he woke up and came downstairs. Just to keep him quiet and then get him back to bed I thought I'd let him try mixing. He loved it. A few nights later he told his Mum that he would be waking up that night to help daddy DJ.

He's also played around with the mixer and loops and got some pretty decent beats going.

Proud Dad or what.

________

Matt McC

My Son is 18 and he didn't show any interest until last weekend when he asked me what a DJ could earn in a night. All of a sudden he is offering to help me and learn the ropes. He's got a good knowledge of music and I can see him doing it one day, but who knows.

My son Murray is 20 now, and has followed in his old mans footsteps, been working as a full time DJ for 3 years now,

last year just over 100 gigs, should me more this year.

he is earning a nice little income,

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

My seven year old came to help me set up in the day once for the night do.. He`s always asking when he can come next...

Tomorrow (sat) an doing the pa for my 4 yrs play school fun day. My seven yr old is looking forward to it..

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

My 14 year old son although when I first started thought I was a 'Geek' (given the prep and kit research), now he helps at some of the gigs and weve found another common interest.

Its often really funny to bring home a new CD which he gets to like then introduces it to all his friends, strange thing is he never tells them it was his dad that discovered it!!!

Oh well

My 10 year old daughter always helps me with the kids disco's & pretty much does everything

Hopefully by November she will be djing my 11,12 & 13 year old night whilst the old man goes & does his residency :D