Dj's United

End Of The Night Boo's

I have just experienced probably my biggest end of night "booing" session in my 8 year DJ career.

A student club night. Tonight, for the first time in a little while we were at capacity. 1800 students. Absolutely fantastic night, every song received a good reaction all the way through.

Finish time is usually between 2 and 2:30am. I normally finish at around 2:15. Management weren't on hand tonight, just security. At 1:50 the chief of security informs me "lights go on at 2, not a minute later". Not much time for me to plan then.. .

So when it gets to 2:10 the chap comes up to me again and gets rather aggressive with me and tells me to finish. I give him a stare. I do my final bit of mic work and play my last one. It gets to 2:15am. All the house lights go on with 30sec of the song remaining, and 1800 people begin booing - and continue to do so for a good 10 minutes. Chants of "One More Song", "Who are ya" and "Boooo". Security have powered down the stage for me... nice of them. Security then take 30 minutes to clear the venue due to the customers being so annoyed. Fights break out and several people are taken to the floor for charging at security. I have never seen anything like it.

All in a nights work!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Do you "play one more" when asked to? It is faily embarassing being mobbed by such a large number of people when you're powerless to do anything about it.

Edited by JonWhittaker

very annoying but unfortunately people working in security and alot of bar staff dont care about the punters or if they have a good night ! i find more and more of them are more interested in getting home early !!!

but could be worse in northern ireland most places still have the music finished at 1am and are strict about it :angry:

Edited by eazy

No doubt you issue a contract for each event so if you are booked until 2.00am your obligations are legally expended.

Anything after that time is non-contractual and it is likely that the venue would also not want you to work beyond the agreed hours set by the contract. Venues as a rule do not like the mjusic over-running.

The difficulty comes with 'well-oiled' punters who demand 'one more'.

I picked some some good advice on here 2 years ago. I always accounts about 8 mins prior to the end the gig is cominjg to an end. Then I say i can sqeeze in 2 songs before the lights have to go up. The point here is that all the punters will know it's nearly tinme up but DJ will be playing two more tunes to finish the night. It works every time.

I have to officially finish at 12 because one newish neighbour couple (who used to be regulars have had a baby) complains about the noise .

every gig i let people down for karaoke songs and song requests as a packed pub is then stopped i over ran by twenty minutes last night as it was seriously packed in fact the best Friday bar takings they have had.

I love my venue i would work till Two for no extra !!

because we cant open later people move on to the bar that is , i know if i could play later they would stay :(

But the experience you had with the security is stupid if the security had listened to you ,you could have got the audience out of the building in an orderly controlled fashion and it would have been much less hassle for security!!

Bully know it alls do my head in. at least the crowd know it wasn't you and it was security

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

No doubt you issue a contract for each event so if you are booked until 2.00am your obligations are legally expended.

Yeah - I'm actually contracted until 2:30am, by management, and there is an agreement between me and them to finish between 2 and 2:30. Unfortunately they were not on hand last night, simply mob handed security to decided to ruin the night!

Hopefully something like this won't happen again :(

I've noticed this quite a lot with security recently, they just simply wanna get people away out the door so they can go home, not really working in the best interest of the venue.

Ok - you may not like what I'm going to say, but here goes!

How often have you thought about what it would be like to 'remove' individuals from a venue who are young, sozzled and more than 'well over excited' from the occasion, never mind 1800!

If the capacity of the venue is not full one night and the decision is allowed to permit music to continue a little longer, that's a bonus to the punters, not to the DJ, the management or the security. If the venue is 'rammo', then the venue (security's) responsibility and common-sense will kick in. Note, their responsibility.

Legally, time is time and the licence of the premises is paramount - more so since the new regulations (2003) health and safety, etc.

With that amount of 'rowdiness' brewing towards the end of the night, I'm surprised you didn't clock it and wind down yourself with your experience?

As you say, the security did notify you before 2.00am and I'm sure comments will be passed back to management. I personally wouldn't challenge if the management decide to speak to you about it.

I would suggest that you seriously take the hint next time, or you could find yourself on the receiving end of the p45! Regardless of what time you are booked to, if the management or their delegates say finish, you finish. If they have to pull the plug, there is a reason.

Whether the actual management were visible or not, remember, the licence of the venue and health and safety will of course be paramount and in the hands of those delegates responsible with the task - especially in the 'absence' of actual management!

If the management then have an issue with the security, not your worry is it.

Other than that, having a buzz from a 'good' night is of course great and I'm glad you had a good time.

10 minutes warning when you expect to play for 25 more minutes does not give you enough time to wind it up IMHO .

I often can't take any more requests for singers after 10.30 as i already have too many in for a 12 o'clock finish with no music just karaoke

from 10.30 when announcing the singers i have i say over the mic we are on till 12 and how many songs requests we have in and if they can still submit requests or not .

I know karaoke is very different to just music work but if i suddenly cut my night end by 15 minutes i would really pee off some singers who expect to sing and they may not come back in again.

last night i had one guy who came to my show and he never normally does .He normally goes to one particular host and has done for over five years. At the other hosts show that night The Lyrics screen accidentally went off while he was singing as some one pulled the cable out standing on a lead (wouldnt happen with my show as leads for the plasma are well away from big footed drunks) now the host just stopped the track and the host did not re start it for him this meant he sang not even half a song and was told to sit down .

he now after religiously following that host says he wont go back ! these petty little things can mean a quiet night as they wont turn up for you again or a packed night if you get these things right.

Telling people they cant have the last 15 minutes without much warning would cause arguments with even the non drinking singers I have.

Tact is something security should have just turning on the lights while the DJ is doing his stuff then turning the power off shows no tact at all security brought on the chaos from what you have described themselves IMHO

Edited by enquirer
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Security also have many eyes whereas you only have two, they may have seen trouble brewing, the trouble that you saw may not have just been because the music finished 15 minutes early.

I've no idea what amount of mic work you do but I would have thought that anybody could close the night down in 25 minutes (1:50 to 2:15), unlike the karaoke example you haven't got people that will get shirty if you don't plat *their* song at the end of the night.

Tact is something security should have just turning on the lights while the DJ is doing his stuff then turning the power off shows no tact at all security brought on the chaos from what you have described themselves IMHO

Surely a DJ should wind up in the amout of time they gave him, he already carried on 15 minutes longer than he was told to stop, WHO runs the club?

Jim

Edited by JimBoylan

10 minutes warning when you expect to play for 25 more minutes does not give you enough time to wind it up

I disagree. Jon is an experienced residency DJ and in my opinion should also have the professional judgement or tact - to know what to do in such situations or at the very least should ask the venue management for their guidance / common sense policy if he has never experienced this before! LOL!

Thanks everyone for their replies! :D

I wasn't expecting some of them; however I'll try and answer some of the points raised. The point I was really making originally was the sheer amount of chants at the end of the night that occurred, and how that made me feel (crap, to be honest) - the emphasis wasn't that much on the fact that security had told me to finish but it seems to be what people have homed in on. Probably my fault if I haven't explained myself fully earlier.

Just to set the story straight I've done this gig for 5 years. I am on excellent terms with the management who book me to play until 2:30. The venue license is until 3am.

Ok - you may not like what I'm going to say, but here goes!

How often have you thought about what it would be like to 'remove' individuals from a venue who are young, sozzled and more than 'well over excited' from the occasion, never mind 1800!

If the capacity of the venue is not full one night and the decision is allowed to permit music to continue a little longer, that's a bonus to the punters, not to the DJ, the management or the security. If the venue is 'rammo', then the venue (security's) responsibility and common-sense will kick in. Note, their responsibility.

Legally, time is time and the licence of the premises is paramount - more so since the new regulations (2003) health and safety, etc.

With that amount of 'rowdiness' brewing towards the end of the night, I'm surprised you didn't clock it and wind down yourself with your experience?

As you say, the security did notify you before 2.00am and I'm sure comments will be passed back to management. I personally wouldn't challenge if the management decide to speak to you about it.

I would suggest that you seriously take the hint next time, or you could find yourself on the receiving end of the p45! Regardless of what time you are booked to, if the management or their delegates say finish, you finish. If they have to pull the plug, there is a reason.

Whether the actual management were visible or not, remember, the licence of the venue and health and safety will of course be paramount and in the hands of those delegates responsible with the task - especially in the 'absence' of actual management!

If the management then have an issue with the security, not your worry is it.

Other than that, having a buzz from a 'good' night is of course great and I'm glad you had a good time.

Totally agree about how difficult it is to remove punters, and health and safety. I doubt I'll receive a p45 however for not taking the hint from one member of security. :rolleyes: (he wasn't the security manager, simply a member of security, i was mistaken earlier).

10 minutes warning when you expect to play for 25 more minutes does not give you enough time to wind it up IMHO .

I often can't take any more requests for singers after 10.30 as i already have too many in for a 12 o'clock finish with no music just karaoke

from 10.30 when announcing the singers i have i say over the mic we are on till 12 and how many songs requests we have in and if they can still submit requests or not .

I know karaoke is very different to just music work but if i suddenly cut my night end by 15 minutes i would really pee off some singers who expect to sing and they may not come back in again.

last night i had one guy who came to my show and he never normally does .He normally goes to one particular host and has done for over five years. At the other hosts show that night The Lyrics screen accidentally went off while he was singing as some one pulled the cable out standing on a lead (wouldnt happen with my show as leads for the plasma are well away from big footed drunks) now the host just stopped the track and the host did not re start it for him this meant he sang not even half a song and was told to sit down .

he now after religiously following that host says he wont go back ! these petty little things can mean a quiet night as they wont turn up for you again or a packed night if you get these things right.

Telling people they cant have the last 15 minutes without much warning would cause arguments with even the non drinking singers I have.

Thank you :mikee: I suppose with the issue with security, the only thing I would have liked was a little more discussion on the end time. Before I get shot down by people saying they were probably too busy - they were not. They were stood by the stage doing nothing.

Security also have many eyes whereas you only have two, they may have seen trouble brewing, the trouble that you saw may not have just been because the music finished 15 minutes early.

I've no idea what amount of mic work you do but I would have thought that anybody could close the night down in 25 minutes (1:50 to 2:15), unlike the karaoke example you haven't got people that will get shirty if you don't plat *their* song at the end of the night.

Surely a DJ should wind up in the amout of time they gave him, he already carried on 15 minutes longer than he was told to stop, WHO runs the club?

Jim

I did, in fact, close the night down perfectly. I agree - 25 minutes is more than enough to wind down and I did so. The final song was playing at 2:15 and it ended smoothly. My issue was simply the reaction it got when the song ended and the lights came on. 'Normally' I'd play one more song, however security had powered down the stage. I can see why they had their reasons for this and that it was already 15 minutes over the time they wanted to close.

There was pretty much no chance of a 2am finish. When the security chap approached me, it was 1:52 on my watch. Insomnia was playing, and I was expecting to be playing until 2:30 as agreed with management. I think getting from that to the final song by 2:15 was reasonably professional!

The students run the club - it is a students union, run by a president, who is a student.

But like I say - the point of security wanting an earlier close wasn't the main issue. Appologies if it did seem that way. The security chap was particularly aggressive with me, even at 1:52am. As a professional colleague I would have expected a little more. The crowd reaction was the point I was making and I was asking if anyone had experienced similar things.

Thank you. :hphone:

Edited by JonWhittaker

What I try to do is announce that there are only two songs left when I am winding it down, but leave time for 3, that way they think they are getting that extra bit.

I can't say I have ever had boo's though, I'm glad they were aimed at the security :mikee: rather than you though.

Jim

I think thats the difference between residencys and mobile work, when I do my residency occasionally we get this guy in at the end (finish at 1am) and I say 'Right ladies and gents we have 3 more from me tonight' blah blah so he knows that im finishing, and he says after the lights come on 'COME ON DJ PLAY SOME MORE' now the first couple of weeks we just ignored him and packed down because he was out of his head, but the landlord came up to him yesterday and said 'Look at the opening times outside its 1am now, can you not tell the time? The lads pack down at this time so kindly shut yer trap' he did after that..

Another incident though is when a group of lads came in at 12:59 and 59 seconds I was playing the last song and said 'Thats it from us, tomorrow night catch your band right here we'll see you next week bye' or something along those lines and they started shouting play some more, and because they wernt here for me to hear me wind down they were getting aggressive, so I just said to the doorman watch these lads and he did, and as soon as my roadie says to them 'we are to finish at 1 sorry mate but we aint playing any more' he picks up a chair! And was about to throw it at Owen, but luckily door staff were ready and clobbered him and threw it out.

But I can honestly say in the years that I have done mobile work ive never been booed. Its normally a clap yeah you get some drunks but I do prefer mobiles IMO.

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

I can safely say that being boo'd by 1800 people is a fantastic feeling - honest. I guess I should be glad they wanted "more" and hadn't all buggered off home before 2am!

The booing was the fact we had finished and they were getting no more songs. I don't think (well, I hope) they weren't booing my overall performance!. But we never know.

The boo's were followed by "ONE MORE SONG". 1800 people in sync. for 10 minutes. Lovely! I should have captured it on video.

Unfortunately I don't think the wasted students made any distinction between security and me and thought I'd packed up and gone home! In hindsight I should have explained on the mic earlier that security are closing us early - and instigated a mass boo-ing directed to security myself :) Maybe next time!

Edited by JonWhittaker

I agree here that you need to judge when to finish particularly if trouble is brewing. Most venues expect us to use some common sense and judgement. Not always easy to do. :dan+ju:

In hindsight I should have explained on the mic earlier that security are closing us early - and instigated a mass boo-ing directed to security myself :) Maybe next time!

Had a student/s tragically lost their life on the night due to the fighting that broke out afterwards, what do you think the security would say? Their fault?

Given the detail and scope of the original post and invitation to respond, naturally, there are going to be answers which may or may not be desired - and I sincerely do not wish to offend with observations or my comments - no offence intended.

Whilst you may indeed have an excellent relationship with the 'management', it appears that the security did not ask but instead, instructed you with notice to cease music.

I'm sure you will agree there are going to be times when the security of a venue requires immediate action, where there is no time for a debate, cup of tea and a discussion! However in this instance, they did offer you the courtesy of notification.

You said you have worked at this place for a while. Whether you know the 'security chief' or not, you was given notice from security, but you took it upon yourself to continue for an extra 18 to 20 minutes beyond the top of the hour.

Then you stared at the security man. In my book, this amounts to taking the instruction lightly, or dare I say with little regard. This is not ideally singing from the same professional page. You both (entertainer and security) have a job and need to look into how you can improve the communication skills - this is how I read into it and is merely my opinion.

At the end of the day, if the management have an issue with the security of the premises in their absence, I'm sure they will take it up with them, no different to enquiring with venue staff if alcoholic drinks sold on premises were served beyond time.

Whilst it may seem absolutely fair to sozzled student/s to have just one more song, I don't believe I would get away with explaining to the Police I just had an extra pint before I took to behind the wheel because friends and I deemed it fair, and the landlord served me anyway! Ok, maybe not the best of analogies but can you see my point? There has to be a common sense approach to all this!

Now, this may be deemed I'm taking things a bit far and to the extreme, but here is a snippet from Norman Cook's response to a death at one of his gigs:

Fatboy Slim, aka Norman Cook has announced he will never stage another Brighton beach party after last year’s event ended in the death of a reveller.

The 39-year-old says: "I don’t want to put anyone’s life at risk. I don’t want to put the city at risk. "I know it’s unlike me to be sensible but in this case I have to be. I’ve lived here for 21 years and I intend to live here for the rest of my life and I’m not prepared to have people hate me for the sake of my ego."

Whilst Cook was not directly responsible for the tragic death of a female reveller at this staged event, even with the considerable level of health and safety and security provided or made available, a death can sometimes result, tragic circumstances indeed can happen. People obviously have to work together when under the same roof whether they like it or not, especially with regard to safety and the general public.

Not everyone will immediately appreciate but be it regular, featured or staged entertainment, it will rigorously be checked, especially more so since the change in regulations and subsequent legislation introduced, all now in the hands of our local authorities! Scrutiny, scrutiny, scrutiny indeed. It would also be daft to think it won't happen to your venue either!

Occasions or events either become closed, revoked and scrapped when the number of reports or incidents increase. Remember this where a concern or objection to a venues licence is raised by locals and residents, or when GPs and stats from health authorities published indicate an increase of alcohol related violence and illness,

Whilst it may not be the responsibility of the working DJ to oversee that measures are taken in the venue to ensure health and safety steps are undertaken before, during and after performance, it is naïve to exclude oneself from the bigger picture of key responsibility and more importantly reliability, should security request cessation of music / entertainment in the future.

Of course when people are having a good time they will want it to continue and when it doesn't they will blame the person who has taken it away from them (the DJ).

I think you need to have definite terms of reference so that, in the absence of management, there is a firm policy of who can make the decision to shut down early. They then become the one who is accountable to the committee for that decision.

I've seen it myself where security act as if they own the place but you do need to work with them - who knows you might just need them yourself one night.

I'm quite surprised that with 1800 people on the premises there was no-one in overall charge of the bar staff, security, DJ etc.

10 mins is plenty of time to conclude a show thats about 3 tracks so I would have played two smoochie tracks then said good night. pause, "do you want one more" loud yells of yes etc then in to a killer uplifing track to end on a high... Any one comes up asking for one more you can legitermatly say that was your one more.. I do this most gigs now and have since never had the one more boo's lol

Nik

• 2 weeks later...

10 mins is plenty of time to conclude a show thats about 3 tracks so I would have played two smoochie tracks then said good night. pause, "do you want one more" loud yells of yes etc then in to a killer uplifing track to end on a high... Any one comes up asking for one more you can legitermatly say that was your one more.. I do this most gigs now and have since never had the one more boo's lol

Nik

But Nik, what if you've planned your last 10 tracks over the course of the night, including a few requests and then with little or no warning u hav 2 abandon that plan and leave out at least half of those songs?

I was discussing this with someone the other day. Bouncers definitely have too much power in bars/clubs and are abusing it. All the care about is getting home ASAP

I'm a DJ based in Northern Ireland with nearly 10 years' experience offering a range of services. Including club residencies, karaoke, pub quizzes, specialised wedding service, Master of Ceremonies, Compere, Night at the Races and much more.

This has happened to me - quite a few times, also at a Student Union venue.

I have worked there for 12 years and noticed a change in the "clientele" over the years, dumbing down Britain I would say!

Some of the attitude of these snotty Uni kids today is shocking, it used to be the rugby club types or similar would cause a bit of high jinks, but the line was never crossed, no problem with a bit of fun and games - all adding to the atmosphere. Nowadays it is binge drink central, fights, attitude etc.

Maybe I didn't notice it so much as I used to get drunk down there myself. At first I tried to face them down like a comic would to a heckler, which could be fun if not a little hazardous.

Now I DJ sober I just politely announce the last song (helps if it is a big singalong like Grease or Don't Stop Me Now) say goodnight afterwards, and then hide, usually by ducking down or pretending to sort my CDs until they notice there is no DJ and start to leave.

So it is interesting to see it happening at another student union, my theory is that it started when our student union began to become more commercialised, trying to compete with the bars and clubs in town. I heard talk of 'wet sales' being down on the last quarter, what are we gonna do etc. I think they lost sight of the fact that it is a place for students to relax, have fun, whatever, not make money out of.

But Nik, what if you've planned your last 10 tracks over the course of the night, including a few requests and then with little or no warning u hav 2 abandon that plan and leave out at least half of those songs?

I was discussing this with someone the other day. Bouncers definitely have too much power in bars/clubs and are abusing it. All the care about is getting home ASAP

fair point what I do in this situation is cut straight to slow ones and tell the folk on the mic I have just been told we have to close down in 10 mins... Then if any one comes up to me I am apologetic but pass them on to security...

Nik