Dj's United

Has any of you noticed that people are getting married abroard more?

I'm finding that I'm doing more low key gigs in the uk for couples that have thrown an"after the event party" for uk family and friends after getting married abroard.

I think it just goes to show that people are facing facts and finding the UK really expensive and cold.

Paul

I've noticed a rise in this too, over the last 2 or 3 years I'd say. . A couple of these have even been where the B&G had their wedding abroard, then stayed out there for the honeymoon. Which makes perfect sense really - and means that only the closest of their family and friends are there with them, to be catered for. - Saves all the hassle of those awful decisions about seating plans, and other family Vs Family type decisions.

The only negative I think is that the UK reception, sometimes 2 -8 weeks later just doesnt have the same feel to it - and I've tried to assess them with impartiality, rather than any self-forfilling prophesy etc... but the bride lady who got married x weeks ago, popping back into that white flowing dress, and the groom her husband wearing his best lounge suit (not to mention some of their guests turning up in jeans, even at a wedding in quite a classy venue - just all adds up to somewhat less of that usual wedding day atmosphere. A bit like seeing a Christmas tree still up with its lights on in mid January...

Edited by Gary

I agree with Gary's observations (although for me they are still the Bride & Groom). I do a few of these each year and they don't (at least initially) have the same atmosphere as a 'proper' wedding reception. Later on though that normally changes.

The other point worth noting is at least we are not totally losing out on work due to this trend - it's the car hirers, florists, photographers, videographers & vicars who need to be more concerned

The other point worth noting is at least we are not totally losing out on work due to this trend - it's the car hirers, florists, photographers, videographers & vicars who need to be more concerned

Oh yes ,that means that reverend da funk will be feeling The pinch. :hide:

But seriously its good to see that you guys have noiticed this trend.All your points are vallid and I can concur

with them.

Mind you the one i did this Saturday was a blinder.

....... Which makes perfect sense really - and means that only the closest of their family and friends are there with them, to be catered for. - Saves all the hassle of those awful decisions about seating plans, and other family Vs Family type decisions........

Not strictly true Gary.

I have just done 2 weddings here in Portugal and I have been contacted by a wedding organiser here to do one next year.Both weddings were for between 60/120 people so the planning and the problems you mentioned are still there.If anything because the bride is having to rely on somebody organising it all from abroad the hassle could be worse.

Although having said that if the party is only a very small affair then yes the problems are minimalised.Both that I have done were big affairs with all the trimmings,so its not always a case of doing it on the cheap.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

It is changing nowadays because of the costs and the weather!

The best thing for me is getting asked to actually go abroad and DJ at the whole wedding out there. Over the years I have travelled to New York, Barcelona, South of France, Italy and Greece. I have got 3 bookings this year to DJ at weddings in Italy and 2 in France. It can be great fun and the only pain is making sure you get a good constant power supply!!

Here in London we have had a couple now where the wedding was in family area e.g. Yorkshire, Cornwall etc and they have held a second "reception" for their London friends. It was still the same, but with less kids and oldies.

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

There has always been a reasonable amount of "overseas" weddings because it is cost effective for the "new" money brigade. I can say that the "old money" families are still alive and well doing the village church then back to the parents for a bacon butty in the tent. Talking to brides, as I do, they appears to be a tendency of avoiding the "wedding provider" - the local photographer will get the job instead of the "wedding" photographer. The other thing I've heard of, are couples that want to emigrate, get married in that country and then don't come back. We are undergoing a great social change, weddings will always be there, but not as we know them. Time to swat up on East European and Asian traditions :).

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

I reckon 75% of the weddings I do are for couples who tie the knot abroad, then have a reception when they get back and put their wedding clothes back on.

I think it works quite well just having an evening do in effect, nothing worse than turning up at a venue to be told because of the photographer, speeches etc they are running an hour late