Dj's United

Last night i had my biggest gig off the year, all the kit & 2k of sound

I was working alongside a live band who were fantastic

The band finished & i went straight into b52s love shack, dancefloor was packed so no problem only i was alot quieter than the band even on full volume i was really pushing it

Lots of people asked me to turn it up

What do you do??? as this is not the 1st time for me

It usually always happens. By its very nature, live music is louder than the compressed recorded music that we play.

Plus.. I tend to find bands play as loud as they possibly can no matter how bad it sounds! Friday night was an exception for me though, very good band with a high quality (logic) sound system played at a comfortable volume, and mixed well too!

I actually managed to keep up for once, with my 3.6k!

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

As Danno said about the compression of our music although compression can make music louder....

There are lots of live components to a band and th backline adds to the over all noise from the stage....

Plus you have fold back drums etc so when you then add a PA into the mix it can be quite loud...

The thing to do is make sure you have a quality sound... 2K should be plenty for most gigs. I use 1K most of the time but on big gigs I take the 5K rig in.. Although this is very rare... Dont compete on volume infact dont compete at all just have a good quality sound, and do the best job you can... You may find if the band was very loud most of the audience would be glad your a little quieter....

Nik

I've worked with a few bands over the years and have experienced ear-ache from their PA! Ouch!

Never had any complaints about my systems volume level...apart from the bass, and could I reduce! LOL!

Don't have this problem with the :cense:SE!

Most bands I've worked with have at least 2K put aside just for the kick-drum :fear:

The fact is most guests usually complain that it's to loud or that it's so distorted they can't hear the words. That said very few ever complain to the band, it seems a dj is more approachable or an easier target when it comes to complaining about the noise.

Haven't had a chance to put the :cense:SE (as Dukesy puts it) up against a band yet the next one isn't until September, it'll be interesting to get peoples comments about the differences.

Educating the young in the ways of the old

All that volume is no good for the band if theres a noise limiter in place.

Then who is the best entertainer?

Also I find with noise limiters if you tune your gear and it is a clear sound you can get a good volume.Distortion and Bass usually sends it into the red.Nik did mention this earlier In a Thread.

Paul