Dj's United

How does vinyl get worn?

I've heard that some audiophiles may buy a record (vinyl) and play it once and then just keep it as a collection piece.

I'd like to find out more about vinyl and how it works so if any of you have any info or links, please share http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Also I've been thinking as I'm buying records now for DJ'ing purposes, I want to take good care of my vinyl , so

How can a needle damage vinyl?

How many plays does the average record get before it's no longer usable?

When scratching how does touching the record (in the middle and not on the sides) damage the record?

- J

I use vinyl a bit so will try and answer a few questions.

How can a needle damage vinyl?

The needle on a turntable is made from diamond (the hardest substance on earth). The sound is reproduced by the needle running through a groove in the vinyl which oscilates from side to side. It is this movement which creates the sound (not 100% sure exactly how, but you get the jist). Because the diamond tip runs through this groove it will slowly wear it out. The easiest way for a needle to damage vinyl is when it is knocked accross the record. This will scratch it and effectivley damage the walls between the grooves on the record. If you are careful with the needle you will be fine.

How many plays does the average record get before it's no longer usable?

It depends on a couple of things, but you should get plenty of plays from one record. There are records in my collection which i must have played a couple of hundred times, and still sound good. The main thing is how well you look after them. Be gentle, dont scratch them, keep the dust off etc. An audiophile may be able to tell if a record has been played once or twice, but the average dj or customer would never be able to. One thing to remember is that alot of djs put weights on the headshells to reduce the chance of the record skipping. Because the needle becomes heavier it will wear out the groove quicker. If you can avoid weighing down the needle then do so (but in clubs and pubs you sometimes dont have a choice!).

When scratching how does touching the record (in the middle and not on the sides) damage the record?

When scratching it is the needle that does the damage. Because the diamond is going back and forth over the same spot, it will wear out quicker. Your hands touching the record will not damage it, especially if you only touch the centre label. If you touch the grooves it will not damage them, but if you leave greasy fingerprints on it, the needle will not be able to follow the groove as easily, therefore reducing quality.

There is not really much different between vinyl and cds. You do the same to take care of them. Dont sratch them, dont get them wet, avoid extreme temperatures, dont bend them etc. Obviously they will eventually wear out, but so does any other form of portable media. They will last as long as you want them to.

Edited by johnnyb

.A comprehensive answer above, to which, I cant add much.

Whilst some record wear will occur every time that you play a record, and much more(in places) when using records for scratching, some long term benefits can be acheived, with only a few minutes "work" and a little extra precautions.

*Ensure that your stylus AND cartridge are installed as per the instructions. Ive known some DJs mount the carts with a noticable inward angle, with some mumbles about "extra grip", but since this is a bit like a boat sailing "sideways" through water, you can imagine what thats ding to the tiny grooves in the record.

Also, a Straight tone arm, rather than s/shaped is supposed to be better for "groove holding" but alas (very) slightly worse for sound quality, and record wear.

Similarly, several styluss(styli?) are available in either "spherical" and "eliptical" versions. Eliptical will offer better audio quality, and ever so slightly less vinyl wear.

Whilst on the subject of styli, a worn stylus will wear out records significantly faster than a newer stylus.

Whilst its fair to say that a mishandled CD and a mishandled record will both wear out, CD decks, including those which offer scratching, dont physically touch the CD surface, so can be played and scratched with almost indefinately.

Thanks for all that info, was very helpful!

Now the question becomes, sine I've been purchasinig vinyl , usually 2/3 records a week I'm building up a collection. Should I learn to beatmatch and mix on 2nd hand records or shouldn't it matter so much if I learn on the stuff I've bought. Also if I want to try scratching should I try it on records I don't value so much http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif?

With the exception of "those little accidents" which can sometime happen during back-cueing a record...EG: That lovely noise of the stylus/cart being machine gunned by the strobe dots on the side of a backspinning platter....gerduggerduggerduggerdugger....)...then beatmixing shouldn't wear your records out much more, if any, than normal play.

Scratching on the other hand...yes use some old slabs of vinyl.

Like Gary said, learning to beatmix should not damage your new records. But with learning to scratch, i would reccomend getting a proper scratch record. Most vinyl stores should do various ones. They all contain small vocal and beat samples which are idel for scratching with. I think they are about £10-£20, so a bit more than a normal record, but worth the investment i think.

I wont post on here where i would reccomend buying from, but if you want the name of a good online vinly store then just pm me.

QUOTE (pulsations @ Nov 26 2003, 05:37 AM)
I want to try scratching

I would advice ya to learn how to beat mix first before you try to learn how to scratch.