Dj's United

Music Ideas Needed: Rnb, Reggae & Hip Hop

Hi All

Im doing a large wedding function in London this month.

The Bride and Groom have asked for a large chunk of RnB Reggae & Hip Hop.....

They are presently compiling a playlist for use, but Im not too hot on these genres, so what would be your suggestions for playing?

Cheers

Nick

Before we go any further, i would suggest a good talk to the "soon to be happy couple" and explain that its not your classed area,

After that, look at the playlist they provide and also the advise from members here.

Taking on a gig, when your not ofey (sp)with that genre or type of music, can be a bad move, not only for yourself, but for the proffesion in general!

get a playlist and then p.m me i have a load of reggae and play it a lot.

depends on what they want old stuff, dub, ska etc another vast difference in genres.

AU FAIT B.T.W. LOL

Ditto the above, post up what you get and I can definately help with the Rnb/Hip Hop

Liscio Discotheques

60s - Current In Surrey & Home Counties

www.liscio.co.uk

I can help with the HipHop.

Find out if they've got a specific decade and whether they prefer UK/US/Global etc.

:joe:

Can help with reggae.

There are a lot of different interpretations.

Some people just want Bob Marley, UB40, mainstream.

Some will take it as two tone, some as old ska.

Then there is the roots reggae and the new style reggae a mix of hip hop and don't forget your dub.

They will need to be real specific on what they want.

Sounds like a good night

Hip Hop R&B

Be Faithful Fatman Scoop

Whatta Man Salt & Pepper

Jump Around House of Pain

Shackles (Praise You) Mary Mary

Let's Get it Started Blacke Eyed Peas

Push It Salt n Pepa

California Love Dr Dre

Bust a Move Young MC

Reggae

Get the best of

Peter Tosh

Bob Marley

Jimmy Cliff

And throw in some Selector, Madness, Fun Boy 3 British Beat

Wish I got to do more gigs like that!

Sounds like great fun

Before we go any further, i would suggest a good talk to the "soon to be happy couple" and explain that its not your classed area,

After that, look at the playlist they provide and also the advise from members here.

I have had a convosation with the groom on the phone, but I couldnt understand what he was saying half the time with his strong jamacan accent!

But he is going to compile a list of tunes they want, so I will wait and see what comes back from that, it could be stuff Im familier with anyway....

I see your point Matt about not taking on a job if your unfamilier with the music styles and most of the time I agree with you..........but we all have to step out of our comfort zones somtimes, thats how we become more experienced and able to play a wider variety of music.

I have had a convosation with the groom on the phone, but I couldnt understand what he was saying half the time with his strong jamacan accent!

But he is going to compile a list of tunes they want, so I will wait and see what comes back from that, it could be stuff Im familier with anyway....

I see your point Matt about not taking on a job if your unfamilier with the music styles and most of the time I agree with you..........but we all have to step out of our comfort zones somtimes, thats how we become more experienced and able to play a wider variety of music.

Yes true, But as stated by yourself in other threads/posts. Its not worht the risk, as it can taint the proffesion and your business/image.

I understand being able to play a wider variety of music, but you still need to have a firm understanding.

Perhaps I should look at the way I take a booking.....

When giving a quote and then taking the booking, I dont really ask what type of music they require.

A more in depth discussion about requirments only happens after the booking has been taken and confirmed.

So basically its now too late to back out of the job, anyway its a good payer, so Im sure I will cope with the assistance of the forum.

Just waiting to see what comes back on the request list then go from their.

I got "sex rhum and dance hall" and "da biggest ragga dancehall anthems 2007" from a jamacian punter last year who informed me that Titanium Ragga is in at the moment ?!?

I suppose their age is a facter here "titanium riddims" album was popular with the dodgey looking Gangsta Yardies but the oldies still want raggae >>> and nina simone, lots of it !

The albums sounded aweful to me but they loved it Biggish Styley ! iieeii massif ! Word !

big mac :joe:

yep reggae is very very wide genre.

depending on age as well. i remember all the early trojan stuff and bluebeat.

prince buster etc, loved it.

all the tighten up albums.

but as earlier stated there is so much diversity now and sub genres it's hard to please evryone. and is so confusing.

the best you can do is generalise really i suppose dont try to specify music you are not familiar with.

but one thing about reggae it is eminently danceable to. almost any track is a dancer imho. good luck tho .

p.s. listen to dawn penn - you dont love me great reggae tune and a good basis for picking songs i reckon.

a lot of the real old stuff is badly produced,raw,and hollow sounding.

but it is terrific!!!!!!

also it can be extremely rude lol. some of the jamaican slang will make you cringe if you knew what it meant. try listening to wreck a buddy by the soul sisters

Edited by wendyice

Perhaps I should look at the way I take a booking.....

When giving a quote and then taking the booking, I dont really ask what type of music they require.

A more in depth discussion about requirments only happens after the booking has been taken and confirmed.

So basically its now too late to back out of the job, anyway its a good payer, so Im sure I will cope with the assistance of the forum.

Just waiting to see what comes back on the request list then go from their.

Indeed i think you need to look at the way you take a booking.

Not asking the "important" questions at the time of booking, Is not a practical approach.

Good Luck

I think I may be worrying about nothing.....

The requirment says "Set list must include SOME R&B, Reggae and Hip Hop".

I dont think that means all night by anymeans.

So as long as I do provide some of the requirment then they will be happy, like you said Reverand, I could blag any type of music for half an hour, well I think I can do that too.

• 8 months later...

I would agree certainly research the music you are going to play before you take the booking

Check out Greensleeves and VP comps always full of red hot songs, also there's a reggae remix of Alicia Keys you don't know me

Also I would recommend a trip to Dub Vendor in London they also do mail order, their lists are always full of great stuff too!

I have been dealing with them for over 30 years, top tunes and great service as well...