Dj's United

Last weekend i done my big gig of the year, the night itself was a compleat success & already booked for next year

One comment did bother me "your disco is a bit small isn't it"

Now in most venues i dont have this problem as i usally find myself jammed in a corner screaming for space, but space i was not short of at this gig with a 28 foot by 20 foot stage

Although a live 9 peice band was performing in front of me once they had packed away i soon realised how little space i was using on this mammoth stage

My lighting system filled the marque no problem & the sound system only just done the job

But what comes to mind is the old "what if" question....like what if the band did not turn up? (they did leave it late) how would i fill this big stage?

For a one off large event like this is it worth having extra light screens/star clothes for filling gaps?

My mobile unit used to be very large & of course heavy but as the years have gone on you do seen to realise that you dont need all this kit & scale yourself down

The mobile is now about 9 foot across/ 7 foot high & i only need about 5 foot deep

I would like to know if any other djs fill the gaps or how big is yours (mobile disco that is tongue out icon )

My rig is a fixed 12-foot or so width, which has evolved over the years to fit well on the average stage, although this does cause a bit of a problem with small venues - I have to turn them down if I think the rig would not fit or would look silly.

There are some big stages out there though...

I'd suggest that if your layout is a bit short on width, and this is causing a problem on larger stages (and assuming you are asked to venues like this reasonably frequently) buy yourself a couple of light screens - no need to pay the earth for them as you can probably locate a pair for sale somewhere - and use them just for this kind of scenario.

I'd just buy another section of truss and space the lighting out more.. make it bigger/wider than it needs to be, so it'll fill the stage nicely. Do you have any photos of your setup? They might help people offer better advice :)

Edited by Danno13

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263