Dj's United

Anyone asked to do a Karaoke or Disco in Acton W3 please be prewarned that the venue may try to steal your equipment or try to knock your wages.

my Agent got a booking from them for last Friday which they advised would turn into a regular when I turned up it appeared to be a traditional Irish pub with no parking outside double yellow so the manager told me to up load & there is a carpark a couple of minutes up the road.

I did this as I went back to the venue the landlord was complaining to a customer that I was Early which I found strange I could understand if I was late I got there about 6pm & was due to start at 8pm but thought I would get there early because of parking & also being the first week to check out the venue.

After I had setup the landlord complained that I have no speaker stands with me as I have 4 speakers 2 floor ones & 2 small ones that go on top & that I had better :cense: sort it out with the office as it would sound ****.

I spoke to the office who spoke to the pub & the landlord got the money down with the agent then he started going onto me about starting straight away & that he would knock the agent & just pay me £80 & then £50 although though the agent I earn £120 for that function.

I said to the agent I was not happy & was going to remove the system I lied to the pub & said they were going to send someone with the equipment they wanted but the landlord then went on to say I want you now to do it & I will pay you if you are any good I advised that I was leaving & a replacement was on his way.

As I was packing away the landlord then tried to get one of his customers who was drunk to start a fight with me.

Then when I went to get my van they stole a flightcase which contained my karaoke player & cordless mic unit which is not much use to them as I have the microphones for it.

Reporting to the police is a joke it was reported on friday & you have to say you saw them take it to investigate & even then I got a call today & they have not yet been down to the pub.

Moderator Edit: Sorry, we cannot allow individual premises, venues or businesses to be named and shamed. If anyone is offered a similar gig in the area, they may wish to PM dazzer for more information

Edited by TonyB

Anyone asked to do a Karaoke or Disco in Acton W3 please be prewarned that the venue may try to steal your equipment or try to knock your wages.

my Agent got a booking from them for last Friday which they advised would turn into a regular when I turned up it appeared to be a traditional Irish pub with no parking outside double yellow so the manager told me to up load & there is a carpark a couple of minutes up the road.

I did this as I went back to the venue the landlord was complaining to a customer that I was Early which I found strange I could understand if I was late I got there about 6pm & was due to start at 8pm but thought I would get there early because of parking & also being the first week to check out the venue.

After I had setup the landlord complained that I have no speaker stands with me as I have 4 speakers 2 floor ones & 2 small ones that go on top & that I had better :cense: sort it out with the office as it would sound ****.

I spoke to the office who spoke to the pub & the landlord got the money down with the agent then he started going onto me about starting straight away & that he would knock the agent & just pay me £80 & then £50 although though the agent I earn £120 for that function.

I said to the agent I was not happy & was going to remove the system I lied to the pub & said they were going to send someone with the equipment they wanted but the landlord then went on to say I want you now to do it & I will pay you if you are any good I advised that I was leaving & a replacement was on his way.

As I was packing away the landlord then tried to get one of his customers who was drunk to start a fight with me.

Then when I went to get my van they stole a flightcase which contained my karaoke player & cordless mic unit which is not much use to them as I have the microphones for it.

Reporting to the police is a joke it was reported on friday & you have to say you saw them take it to investigate & even then I got a call today & they have not yet been down to the pub.

Moderator Edit: Sorry, we cannot allow individual premises, venues or businesses to be named and shamed. If anyone is offered a similar gig in the area, they may wish to PM dazzer for more information

I think you did the right thing by leaving.Thats why I like someone with me when performing..To keep an eye on the gear.Theft and drugs are rife in the Middlesborough area and Iv'e heard of DJ's and bands getting done over.

Real sorry you lost some equipment m8,hope their hands fall off.

Paul

Is your equipment covered by insurance, hopefully it is, and so you'll need to contact the police in order to obtain a crime reference / investigation number. Tell them that you need it for insurance purposes and it may encourage them to pull their finger out and complete / or rather start the investigation. Are you a member of the Musicians Union or any other entity offering legal advice / legal cover?. If so, contact them or the local representative for advice.

Is the manager of the venue a tenant or part of a chain. Try and find out the owner / manager / company who owns the pub and write a detailed complaint to them by recorded delivery. Bear in mind that in doing so however you may have to work hard at proving the allegations, and have some proof that you worked there (a booking contract / letter from your agent should suffice). Also contact the brewery, if it is owned / partly owned by them.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Unfortantly I only contents insurance which covers the equipment if it is stolen from my house but never bothered with insurance that covers unattended.

This is the first time in about 10 years of doing Discos & Karaokes that I have had anything taken apart from the odd CD.

I have done the police bit but all the say is they are investigating sorry I did not realise you could not Name pubs or venues here does anyone know of any places you can as I think we should be able to warn fellow colleagues so it does not happen to them.

You mention that you didn't actually see the theft take place?, so how can you know / prove who to accuse of theft?.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

God I know Acton well I was born there and mugged there!!!! and would advice you all to keep away, its a dive of a place these days.

I used to live about 20mins away from Acton and wouldnt take on any gigs in this area personally.

This is the reason I dont take on pub gigs anymore in my opinion they are nothing but hassle, plus some agents dont care where they send you as long as they get a nice little earner out of it.

DJ Frankie Knuckles.

I can't prove it but you have to admit with everything that happened that night & the way they were being everything points towards them stealing the stuff I could not say they were many other viable suspects.

Acton does seem like a unfriendly place but in my agents defence he was not to know the venue was dodgy & even gave me a replacement gig for the same night & spent 45 mins on the phone reporting it to the police for me whist I drove onto the next venue