Dj's United

Mic Problems - Cutting Out When In Use

Hi guys,

Any advise is appreciated

The problems I am having is my mics (both wireless) keep cutting out and sound liike that dodgy geezer of the telly Op, Ib, ab..... all the time

I am using the following

Citronic Pro Audio Ultima MP216 - Dual UHF

through

Numark 200FX Mixer

I use the Main Mic on the 200FX top left input thru a single Jack plug, I have tried the Silver paper trick around the Jack Plug and putting in to the port, also moving the jack around in the mic port

Any suggestions, would it be the Mic, Cable or Mixer....

Please help..

Cheers in Advance

Jay

Music Entertainment covering London & within the M25 Areas

English & Asian Events catered for

www.skydj.co.uk

Sounds like interference. Is your unit frequency agile? Can you change the frequencies?

Does mic work when only one on at a time - if so they are interfering with each other. if not there may be something in the neighbourhood on the same frequency.

That's my first thought...

Sounds like interference. Is your unit frequency agile? Can you change the frequencies?

Does mic work when only one on at a time - if so they are interfering with each other. if not there may be something in the neighbourhood on the same frequency.

That's my first thought...

WOW, Only minutes and a reply already... Cheers

Frequencies can be changed, and I have put one at one end of the scale and the other at the other end..

They still do it when only one is on, no matter which one is on...

Also this has happened at several different venues, and even in a garden party at the back of someones house, (got a great tan tho)

www.skydj.co.uk

These are nicely featured mics, especially the receiver.

• Label the two mics (A and B for example)
  • Switch one mic completely off - take the battery out if you're not convinced that any on/off switches on the mic are not just switching off the audio, rather than the radio signals too.
  • Test the remaining powered up mic - - does this mic drop out when the other mic is off/powered down?
  • Switch that mic off, then test the other one - does this mic drop out on its own too, or not?
  • Switch both mics on together - drop outs?
  • The mics/receiver have 16 channels - the two mics arent both user-set/defaulted to the same channel are they? (I know its a no-brainer, but I thought I'd ask, just in case) - try different cahnnels on both mics - Try distant channels eg: channel 2 on one mic, channel 15 on the other etc.
  • if both mics are affected, try different cables (the 216 receiver has both an XLR out and a 6.5mm/quarter-inch jack plug - listen to both outputs.
  • try tapping (gently) arounf the output leads/sockets to see if the drop outs can be triggered by the tapping/vibration.
  • are the dropouts very very regular in their length of drop out and also the distance between one dropout and the next? or just random lengths of drop out with random interval?
  • Switch off all other equipment (not while the audeince is there of course) and see if this makes any difference.
  • feed the mics with a constant noise and watch the signals on the receiver - when the noise drops out (judging with your own ears) does the receiver show a droput of the incoming "mic-to-receiver" signal, or does the reciever disply keep showing constant input? (if so, then the mics must be ok, but the receivers output is what is dropping out).

Good luck - let us all know how you get on.

These are nicely featured mics, especially the receiver.

• Label the two mics (A and B for example)
  • Switch one mic completely off - take the battery out if you're not convinced that any on/off switches on the mic are not just switching off the audio, rather than the radio signals too.
  • Test the remaining powered up mic - - does this mic drop out when the other mic is off/powered down?
  • Switch that mic off, then test the other one - does this mic drop out on its own too, or not?
  • Switch both mics on together - drop outs?
  • The mics/receiver have 16 channels - the two mics arent both user-set/defaulted to the same channel are they? (I know its a no-brainer, but I thought I'd ask, just in case) - try different cahnnels on both mics - Try distant channels eg: channel 2 on one mic, channel 15 on the other etc.
  • if both mics are affected, try different cables (the 216 receiver has both an XLR out and a 6.5mm/quarter-inch jack plug - listen to both outputs.
  • try tapping (gently) arounf the output leads/sockets to see if the drop outs can be triggered by the tapping/vibration.
  • are the dropouts very very regular in their length of drop out and also the distance between one dropout and the next? or just random lengths of drop out with random interval?
  • Switch off all other equipment (not while the audeince is there of course) and see if this makes any difference.
  • feed the mics with a constant noise and watch the signals on the receiver - when the noise drops out (judging with your own ears) does the receiver show a droput of the incoming "mic-to-receiver" signal, or does the reciever disply keep showing constant input? (if so, then the mics must be ok, but the receivers output is what is dropping out).

Good luck - let us all know how you get on.

Cheers for that one gary,sounds promising, I have the weekend off (for a change), will set up at home and try you suggestions

Thanks Again

www.skydj.co.uk

Well if both mics have new batteres in and both are doing it there is a good chance its the reciver that is the problem or the lead or even the mixer...

So try another lead, still doing it then its not that, try another mic in the channel your using or another bit of kit if its line level not doing it then its the reciever thats at fault...

Nik