Dj's United

i know a little about drm, but exactly how does it affect tracks you download,.i.e if i download a track and obtain the license,i seem tobe able to move that track to another computor and burn it to disc so what is the drm actually doing

DRM (or Digital Rights Management) is a collection of restrictions which are embedded in a music file (or sometimes stored in a tiny associated file which downloads "behind the scenes" with each DRM'd music file that you download from various legitimate sources - eg: most of the 79p per track sites.

The DRM restrictions tycically tell your playback software (for example, little old Windows Media Prayer) what it can, and cant allow you to do. For example, a legit download website might agree that unless otherwise specified you, the user, can listen to a track 1000 times, or perhaps play it an unlimited number of time up until a certain date, can burn the track 3 times onto a CDR, and can sync the file maybe 5 times with a portable device eg: An iPod/MP3 player etc.

Some DRM restrictions can also stipulate that you can do any/all of the above ONLY whilst you remain a member of their monthly subscription service...as customers of Virgin Stores Digital Download service abrubtly found out a few months ago - when Virgin pulled out of that particular market activity and their (then ex-) users could no longer listen to their Virgin DRM'd tracks.

More recently, some legit download services are now offering "DRM Free" files. Theres an interesting twist (not in fact a negative twist) to some, if not all, of these "DRM Free" files. They still have DRM properties embedded into the music file header BUT these are the Account details of the user who originally downloaded the file, rather than any playback restrictions. So really, these should be called "DRM Free-of-anything-that-will-stop-you-from-playing-or-burning-or-syncing-this-music-track" files. Some users have said that they've been able to locate their download account/membership number in the data header of downloaded "DRM-Free" downloaded music tracks.

Identity embedding is a great way of deterring those who previously might have downloaded some tunes from legit music services then tried to illegally share them on Peer-to-Peer and other dodgy file sharing services. Its also a great way for those DJs, fitness instructors and other professional music users being able to prove which tracks they themselves have downloaded directly, rather than format-shifted, as their downloaded files will have their download account identity embedded in them, whereas their format shifted tracks wont.

i know a little about drm, but exactly how does it affect tracks you download,.i.e if i download a track and obtain the license,i seem tobe able to move that track to another computor and burn it to disc so what is the drm actually doing

Gary is correct.

Another way of putting it.....buy a CD for cash as an individual - freedom!

Buy a download....traceability and accountability - control. Big Brother is watching!

tongue out icon

Gary is correct.

Another way of putting it.....buy a CD for cash as an individual - freedom!

Buy a download....traceability and accountability - control. Big Brother is watching!

tongue out icon

the problem with cd's dan,i dont know if you are aware of it but there is a new produb license out now tongue out icon ,so to buy a single at £1.99 with the amount we will be converting will cost us upto £1 to put on the laptop.

Money, money, money

Must be funny

In the rich man's world

Money, money, money

Always sunny

In the rich man's world

Aha-ahaaa

All the things I could do

If I had a little money ....or a £1

Depends if one wishes to copy music to make copies of recordings they own on to various formats of which the requirement of the licence will be that they keep some form of record of the copies made, as the licence issuer *may* request that they send this information to them *or* allow them to verify this list with an unwarranted search of all the licence holders PC and DJ equipment! LOL!

Still, if you do not need a licence....the licence issuer will not be issuing any form of an exemption…….if you contact them with your details…. no doubt! LOL! :rolleyes:

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dcr0176l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have just read sky are going to have a unlimited stream and download of tracks without DRM for a monthly fee

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7519558.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7519558.stm

how much per month is to be announced

interesting if it affordable and the catalogue is large enough

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26