Dj's United

"now" Boycott?

I read somewhere a while back, it may even have been here on these forums, that there are certain artists who will not license their music for inclusion on the "Now" series.

Does anyone know if this is true and who are the major names who will never grace this CD series?

Just curious as I'm in the process of collecting the series from about 22 upwards.

Thanks

Robbie

:hphone:

I dont recall ever seeing a Madonna track on a Now album.

However, I suspect that the reasons for tracks from particular artists not appearing on a popular compilation album are more likely to be down to which record label an artist is signed with, not wanting to contribute to the success of the label who produces the Now albums. Much in the same way that you wouldn't see a poster for a Big Mac on the front doors of Burgerking.

Also, I would imagine that record labels would rather their artist tracks got purchased as a chart-logged CD-single, or single download, contributing toward the artists chart success, rather than just getting a less visible inclusion on the latest "Now". Once someones got that latest track by their fav artist on a compilation album, they are far less likely to then go out and still buy the artists CD-single etc.

One more vote for Madonna - i remember being astounded when i realised that not one of her singles was on any of the now albums in my collection!!

I can't think of any more recent artists though that i have actually noticed aren't on any of the albums

Between myself and another DJ nor are The Beastie Boys, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Guns n' Roses or Whitney Houston. Both Michael Jackson and Prince have only had one track on a Now! album, and neither of them were big hits.

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

Between myself and another DJ nor are The Beastie Boys, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Guns n' Roses or Whitney Houston. Both Michael Jackson and Prince have only had one track on a Now! album, and neither of them were big hits.

Link

Check out track 1

Link

Check out track 2

Link

Check out Track 1

As for the beastie Boys....this US version is interesting!

Madonna appeared on the original 'hits' series iirc - I know Borderline did, as remember playing it lots on vinyl!

Hits, which became monster hits, then some other silly name, kept getting re-incarnated every so often. I'm sure wikipedia will fill in all the gaps..

In fact on about Now 10, there was some competition that came inside one of the record sleeves asking 'Which of these (3) artists (cant remember teh choices, sorry, it was a LONG time ago) has never featured on a Now Album'. The answer to this was Madonna btw...

Also, I thought Whitney had appeared - but then again may have been on 'Hits' (Track: How Will I Know?).. remember that on vinyl too!

When I were a wee lad, I built disco lights with 12volt scalectrix transform& relays! :dan+ju:

David, may, just maybe showing his age.. a bit

*Apologies if I spelt scalectrix wrong ;)

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Quote:

"When I were a wee lad, I built disco lights with 12volt scalectrix transform& relays!"

I started that way, but quickly progressed to triacs. You must try them some time...

Quote:

"When I were a wee lad, I built disco lights with 12volt scalectrix transform& relays!"

I started that way, but quickly progressed to triacs. You must try them some time...

Inititally it was 3 relays and a few transistors with different RC networks...

.. but I did move to triacs, although they're not so good on smoothed DC 12v (they lock to the on state when triggered afaik), so used 12V DC unregulated. 8 channels wired to a parallel port of a Sinclair ZX Spectrum & Disc interface.. Oh that sounded rather geeky :/

And I wrote a couple of programmes for it too - chase programmer and chase runner program.. which chased to sound... I'll go get my coat now..

Memories...

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I don't think any of 5ive's tracks are on the Now series. Christina Aguilera - Dirrty is another big one they missed as well.

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

Speaking of "Now" CD's - does anyone know when "Now 70" is due out please?

Cheers,

Greg.

Captain of the good ship 'Andromeda' - a bit of a wreck like meself but at least she will look better with time......

PS. 'Pugwash' rules!!!

Mobile DJ based on the Fylde coast and covering Lancashire & the north west,

playing 60's - present day chart music.

Country / Line Dance events catered for with the best in Modern Country music.

George Micheal

Now 23 Disc 1 Too Funky

Now 34 Disc 2 Jesus To A Child

Now 38 Disc 2 You Have Being Loved

Now 52 Disk 1 Freeek!

Now 58 Disk 1 Flawless

Also a few feat. other artists and a few Forthright Edit's aswell

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

George Micheal