Dj's United

Here's the latest interview - I give you Reverandfunk!

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

Reverandfunk

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

Karl, 39, Just outside Brum, co-habiting

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

The Usual Suspects

4. How long have you been a DJ?

4 years

5. What inspired you to become a DJ?

Was working in a bar in Gran Canaria and the karaoke DJ hadn't got cover for his night off, so I said show me how it works and I'll do it. I'd never sung before lol

6. Are you a Full/Part Time DJ? If part time what else do you do?

Part time. Work for a Management Consulting Group

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

Probably a 40th and if it's a theme night even better

8. What's the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

Breakdancing (extremely badly) in front of a 100 women

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

No.

I started off with a basic set up up; speakers, lights, amp etc and gradually upgraded when I had the money. I've always used word of mouth to advertise and it works for me, I turn down far more work than I actually do. It's all a learning experience and you learn from your mistakes.

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

I entertain as opposed to just being a DJ. I dress up, have a laugh, so at the end of the night people go away thinking "I've never seen anyone like that before".

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

No. I fully utilise the latest technology i.e. a laptop but am a firm beliver in only buying what is necessary and I know I'm going to use. I know people who've been DJ'ing for donkeys years and probably run at a loss because of the equipment they buy and don't need to. Yes I only DJ part time, and yes I love playing music but bottom line is I want to keep as much money as possible in my back pocket.

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

2 Acme LEd Tango's. Just bought 2 boogies and very impressed so the tango's will replace a couple of old scanners I've been using. Then I don't need anything else.

Ever. lol

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

Technology wise nothing. Time wise, a set up that set itself up and then took itself down again. Plus it had legs so it could walk itself to the van.

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

Never had one (Frantically looks for wood to rub). I keep things simple so less to go wrong.

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJing?

Looking at a packed dancefloor of people having a good time

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJing?

Not that it happens a lot but the rude/nuisance people pestering you for Drum&bass at their nans 80th or just a basic lack of manners

17. What would make you stop DJing (if anything)?

I've cut down recently due to the fact that I want some sort of a social life away from being a DJ so that would be it - the lack of a social life.

18. How do you think DJing will change, in the next 5 years?

I think it's happening already, peoples perceptions towards a DJ is changing in the respect that they think anyone can use a laptop and play songs. I think there are so many DJ's out there now that we are going to constantly get nailed down on price.

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Punter: Can you play "such and such by so and so"

Me: It's playing now......

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Don't listen to other DJ's

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

Don't listen to other DJ's

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

To be honest unless you are a club DJ, I don't think you need to look any further than the Charts and the Radio 1 playlist lol. I know i don't.

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

Dancing Queen

Don't Stop me Now

Man i feel like a woman

God how cheesey do i sound lol

24. One piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out.

Ask a load of questions and then some more questions. You don't have to act on it but just take it on board.

25. What medium format do you mainly use eg vinyl, CD, hard-drive?

95% laptop with cd's for requests/backup

26. Have you embraced/adapted any ideas that you've read about on DJU - if so what?

It's hasn't been one major piece of advice, just a lot of tips. Knowing what other people play is a great insight, along with how they deal with certain situations, or asking someone what they think about a certain light or piece of equipment.

27. What is your best gig ever and your worst?

Best gig probably a Summer Ball in a marquee that held 650 people. They ended up thinking they were in Ibiza!

Worst - Probably an engagement when I was asked to turn the pipe music down. We we kicked off properly none of the lights worked as it so quiet. Having said that the client was happy.

Or any venue with a sound limiter, they are slowly creeping in to more venues....

28. Apart from 'Word of Mouth' what is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

I do most of the work at a couple of venues so mine is the first number that's given out. I'll never pay to advertise, I don't need to plus I'm starting to pick and choose what I do so no 18th's/21st's cant stand the majority of the music.

29. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

No and won't be joining one. I like to think that the only person who knows what is best for me is me. This forum is better that any "association" in my opinion.

30. Add any additional comments which you would like to include here...

DJU has provided me with loads of great tips from great people but I STILL cannot understand the DJ snobbery that goes on. Sometimes I feel like I should be "below stairs".

:rolleyes:

31. How many gigs do you do a year, how many would you like to do?

This year will probably be 50, could have done 100 plus but there you go lol. I think a couple per month would be ideal so 25 a year.

32. What is your average charge for a booking?

£175

33. How many tracks do you have in your music collection?

5000 on laptop

probably the same on CD and it's far too much!!!!!

34. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

No

35. What is your favourite music genre?

Loads

Currently like Soul/Motown/Northern Soul, bit of punk, bit of rock, bit of opera.....

Excellent read

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Punter: Can you play "such and such by so and so"

Me: It's playing now......

I had exactly the same last night!

Good interview

Number 8: Sounds like there's a whole great story to follow behind that one, go on Rev, do tell.

Number 19: :lol: That's happens quite a few times, usually when the amount of alcohol inside the person, equates to more than the amount of alcohol in their glass The parallel occurence is when they request a track, you play it say, 20 minutes later, then a few minutes after you've played it they (come back in and) say "dont forget to play my request for...nnnnn will you..."