Dj's United

Hercules Dj Console Rmx

If anyone has encountered the same problem with the combination of equipment i am using i would very much appreciate the solution as this is driving me NUTS :damn:

I purchased the new Hercules Dj Console 2 weeks ago, i have a hp compaq presario laptop.

The main problem is furing playback the tracks jump. Not all the time, maybe once or twice a track but far to often to even consider using the set up in public. I have contacted Hercules and i have the latest drivers, i am using a powered USB hub (also tried without the powered hub) i have changed the ASIO settings, i have tried connecting the USB before switching the unit on and so forth, everything that could potentially be a problem has been done but no, it still jumps, not even for a second but its far too noticeble and the fact that i know its doing it means theres no way i can go out in a relaxed state and use it.

I have tested the console on my desktop and it all works fine with absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Im hoping there is somebody who has the same set up or encountered the same problem and succeeded in solving the mystery.

Also, when the laptop is plugged into the charger, the feedback is also pretty dreadful. Does anybody know how to ground a laptop, its supposed to be the quickest fix but i dont know how this is done.

If anyone has encountered the same problem with the combination of equipment i am using i would very much appreciate the solution as this is driving me NUTS :damn:

I purchased the new Hercules Dj Console 2 weeks ago, i have a hp compaq presario laptop.

The main problem is furing playback the tracks jump. Not all the time, maybe once or twice a track but far to often to even consider using the set up in public. I have contacted Hercules and i have the latest drivers, i am using a powered USB hub (also tried without the powered hub) i have changed the ASIO settings, i have tried connecting the USB before switching the unit on and so forth, everything that could potentially be a problem has been done but no, it still jumps, not even for a second but its far too noticeble and the fact that i know its doing it means theres no way i can go out in a relaxed state and use it.

I have tested the console on my desktop and it all works fine with absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Im hoping there is somebody who has the same set up or encountered the same problem and succeeded in solving the mystery.

Also, when the laptop is plugged into the charger, the feedback is also pretty dreadful. Does anybody know how to ground a laptop, its supposed to be the quickest fix but i dont know how this is done.

Just to confirm, it is the new Hercules DJ RMX Console that was released in March.

The interference problem is usually more to do with the laptop already being grounded (if you have a 3-wire mains lead to the adapter). In which case a ground loop isolator will work..you can get stereo ones from maplin and are sold to help avoid ground loops in car audio and similar.

What's the performance of the laptop compared to the desktop? Sometimes seemingly fast laptops can struggle with DJ software and the result is skipping as the poor thing tries to keep up. Try paring down any background applications on the laptop (there'll be a few running I bet) and see if it improves. Otherwise a memory upgrade may be the answer; does it satisfy the minimum requirements of the software application..? Are you using USB2.0? Open the performance monitor and keep an eye on the bargraph as you 'dj'.

Just to confirm, it is the new Hercules DJ RMX Console that was released in March.

I'll hopefully try to address the "easy" fix first - the Buzzing/Feedback.

If it stops when unplugging the laptop from the mains (ie, on Battery Power), then read Garys reply in this post:

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showto...mp;#entry218145

On the jumping- what DJ software are you using, and what spec is the Laptop (processor and ram?)

I guess things to try are;

-Does it get worse if you're actively mixing/clicking/sliding etc?

-Any software running in the background (AV Scans, Downloads, USB modem etc). If you're using a USB modem, I advise unplugging it. Ethernet/Wifi should be ok though.

-Press ALT-CTRL-DEL to bring up task manager, how high does the CPU usage get whilst playing music? Is it high (60%+) all the time?

You could also try a different USB cable, I've known problems on other devices due to a bad cable.

Sorry I can't offer more help, but you need to provide a bit more info.

Cheers,

Jason

The interference problem is usually more to do with the laptop already being grounded (if you have a 3-wire mains lead to the adapter). In which case a ground loop isolator will work..you can get stereo ones from maplin and are sold to help avoid ground loops in car audio and similar.

What's the performance of the laptop compared to the desktop? Sometimes seemingly fast laptops can struggle with DJ software and the result is skipping as the poor thing tries to keep up. Try paring down any background applications on the laptop (there'll be a few running I bet) and see if it improves. Otherwise a memory upgrade may be the answer; does it satisfy the minimum requirements of the software application..? Are you using USB2.0? Open the performance monitor and keep an eye on the bargraph as you 'dj'.

The laptops performance is the same as the desktop bar the occasional skip. Its an intel core 2 duo, it exceeds the minimum requirements, ive tried to stop programs running in the background and the USB ports ended up not working. I am using USB 2 and the bargraph is generally around 25-50% although it does occasionally rise temporarily to around 75%.

The software is provided with the hercules dj rmx console. The laptops spec is

Compaq Presario c700 notebook pc

2038mb RAM (Which is at least double the required amount)

processor is intel core 2 duo 1.67 ghz

32 bit operating system

it doesnt get any worse when mixing, it generally occurs when a track playing freely.

Pc is wireless, there is no modem.

I have also tried another USB cable without success.

Sounds like a buffer problem to me.. The processor is filling the buffer then going to do other processes but not returning in time to refill the buffer...

Nik

Edited by UKHero

Bet you have done all this but

Power options as Tony says and hibernates , screen savers turn them all off.

Check the windows sound schemes

check the memory page file settings

In display properties look at appearance tab and then effects uncheck show windows content while dragging (this tiny tick made another hosting program i used jump and there was no dragging involved! weird but it must take up some sort of resource)

Basically strip ?turn off everything you don't need

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

This might sound strange but...

have tried playing say a one hour playlist or block of continuous music and timed the skips...

eg:

10:00am - start music

10.04am - skip

10:08am - skip

10:12am - skip... etc,etc,etc

This spacing could suggest something within the laptop settings is "happening" every 4 minutes - even some powered hubs go through a "stock check" of whats plugged into all their ports every X or xx minutes, causing either lock-ups or other wierd, but often repetitively timable (I bet that word doesent exist) glitches whene they cycle/poll their ports.

Also, where is you music library stored ? External hard drive...? if so... is it powered from a proper mains supply, or trying to run from the measely power of the USB port/lead itself? USB only gives 500milliamps, but some drives try to pull 750milliamps or over, during certain tasks - when the drive cant get the power (cap'n), ususual things can happen.

If external drive, does it have any "built-in" functions eg: "Single Push-Button Backup?" which might be getting in the way of smooth operation?

Also, when you do your timings, make sure that first time round, the music is playing a ZERO pitch - not speeded up, or slowed down.

Then re-run the test, with the on-screen player(s) pitched up to max...eg +100% or +50% however high it will go,and time the skips again. Do they differ (from the 0% timings)? to they stay the same?

Also, do you have anything else that's USB plugged in.... anything at all....mobile phone charger lead, digital camera, Media card reader?, pen drives? USB Gooseneck light? USB cooling fan?

If running on battery, you'll find that sometims the laptop slows the CPU down to save battery power..

Does it happen on mains as well as battery?

I know there are a lot of silly programs that latch on to the USB ports, and can cause issues (.e.g my sony erricson phone driver can happen, e.g. itunes / ipod service which seems to wait for an ipod to connect).

run msconfig (Start -> run and then type in 'msconfig' and disable anything that you think shouldn't start...

Laptops seem to have a whole load more drivers running/loaded than the normal desktop - Power Management, plus all the drivers for hot keys / on-screen-displays, which usually you don't get on normal desktops...

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]