Dj's United

Police Warn Of Catalytic Converter Thefts

Police have warned car owners to be vigilant following a spate of catalytic converter thefts in Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire.

Leicestershire has seen about 60 of the thefts in the last year. Car parks in Loughborough and Market Harborough have also been targeted by gangs.

Derbyshire Police said vehicles in retail parks around Derby had been struck recently.

In Nottinghamshire, the Newark area has been a particular target.

'Tremendous audacity'

Car owner Dave Bull said his converter was stolen in broad daylight while he visited a supermarket in Derby.

"They've just got a tremendous amount of audacity... to feel as though they just wouldn't be questioned.

"When I reported it to the police, they told me I was the second person that day who had reported the same thing," he said.

Pc Steve Day of Leicestershire Police said: "They [thieves] come along with implements to cut the catalytic converters off cars.

"They are conducting the removal within a few seconds and then they're taking them and trading the metals in, which contain precious metals such as platinum, for a quick return of cash."

Police say 4x4 vehicles and vans are particular targets.

Sourced

How do they manage to do it so quick?

Even with burning gear it must take a couple of minutes.

I'd love to see the expression on the face of the victims when they've just nipped into Tesco and come out to find half their exhaust has gone missing :dan+ju:

No doubt when they complain to the police they will get a ticket for the exhaust being too loud :bouncy:

Jim

I'd love to see the expression on the face of the victims when they've just nipped into Tesco and come out to find half their exhaust has gone missing :dan+ju:

No doubt when they complain to the police they will get a ticket for the exhaust being too loud :bouncy:

Jim

lmfao!

DJ Jenx

www.JenxDisco.co.uk -

Many a true word spoken in jest...

Unfortunately, that's the way our legal system seems to be going these days.

If it happened to me, I'd be fumin'

Jim

they would use either a recipitating metal saw (a bit noisey but with logoed overalls as a cover)

or industrial pipe cutters that you run round and twist in to cut deeper.

Usta be a welder fabricator and a car mechanic.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Stolen metal find 'biggest in UK'

Scrap valued at £700,000 has been recovered in what police have hailed as Britain's biggest find of suspected stolen metal.

Among the haul found during a search of the yard at New Halden Metals, Cheadle, Staffordshire, was 200 tonnes of rail track, along with beer kegs and cables.

A 43-year-old man who was questioned on suspicion of theft and of handling stolen goods was released on bail.

Police said the amount of metal seized could rise after further checks.

Pc Dave Stubbs, of Staffordshire Police, said officers came across the "huge haul of property" after visiting the scrap yard on Wednesday.

Officers searched the yard with British Transport Police (BTP) as part of Operation Amalgam until late on Thursday night.

Chief Inspector Simon Tweats, of Staffordshire Police, said: "Recovering stolen metal is an ongoing goal for the team.

"We have recovered a significant amount of stolen property, and efforts will now be made to reunite the property with its owners.

"Metal theft is an international problem with local consequences and Operation Amalgam is determined to address local issues by targeting those involved in metal theft - including people who receive stolen goods."

'Theft problem'

Det Supt Tony Nugent, from the BTP Organised Crime Unit, who led the operation, said: "With the high price of metals on world commodity markets, metal and cable theft has become a significant problem for the rail industry, utilities and telecommunications providers.

"On the railways, theft of cable and other metals causes massive disruption to services. Thieves are risking their lives as well as prison.

"Only this month a man from Stockport was jailed for three years.

"This has been a major seizure and scrap dealers need to be aware that police forces across the country are co-operating in a crackdown on metal theft."

One of my brothers recently took over another pub, the previous landlord had been "buying in" and the brewery wouldn't take kegs that didn't belong to them. He contacted quite a few scrap dealers and none of them wanted the kegs, there were over 100 of them and he couldn't even give them away.

In the end he had to pay somebody to remove them.

Jim