Dj's United

hi all. unfortunatly ive broke my laptop. whilst packing up the other night after a gig,

i knocked it my deck stand and cracked all the screen!!

ive got dj gauard so hopefully they might be able to help. ive already sent in the claim for accidentel damage.

i was thinking of getting a pc instead as i am sure this would be more reliable, stronger, less likely to overheat ect. but then theres abit more to carry.

what would you recomend, and does anyone here use a pc instead of a laptop.

any help please. thanks................kev. :shrug:

Hi Kev I have pcs I use a tower with a strap handle on it and a fully enclosed desktop with a screen built in.Its easy to do with wood.Ok its a bit bigger and heveyer than a laptop but i got loada goodies built in like soundblaster x-fi card andradeon graphics card and extra usb2 ports.also this eliminates external hds and you have them internally.my backup machine is an Ebot.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Foxconn_MiniPC_Ebot__6215125

This is a small form factor pc its robust and small.The main drawback is the choice of motherboard and chip nit limeted and you can only use 1 hd internally but I have mine divider into 3 Partitions and works well for disco and karaoke.

paul

hi all. unfortunatly ive broke my laptop. whilst packing up the other night after a gig,

i knocked it my deck stand and cracked all the screen!!

ive got dj gauard so hopefully they might be able to help. ive already sent in the claim for accidentel damage.

i was thinking of getting a pc instead as i am sure this would be more reliable, stronger, less likely to overheat ect. but then theres abit more to carry.

what would you recomend, and does anyone here use a pc instead of a laptop.

any help please. thanks................kev. :shrug:

The Laptop has a few advantages - mainly being compact and self contained..

However, most laptops are designed with keeping battery usage - so cooling is often not good.

If you're tech savy, the Mini ITX format is used for embedded systems, and I've basically used a Mini ITX motherboard, with 80GB HDD. The processor is cooled via a fairly good fan&heatsink, and the case has forced air cooling - a speed controlled fan on the side.

This keeps things nice :-) and I use the same type of set-up for my day job (with instruments shipping worldwide). Glue the connectors in with a glue gun, and it should be solid.

The downside...

-Separate LCD Monitor

-Separate Keyboard & Mouse

-Longer set-up due to the above, and more wear n tear due on connectors.

It is possible to get a "laptop-style" keyboard, with trackball or glidepad as part of the keyboard, and these are pretty good (if you're happy with a glidepad)

Long term, the desktop/mini itx should be better than a Laptop, but at the expense of more hassle.

If you decide to get a replacement laptop, you should be able to get a decent DJ case for it, or even a Laptop stand for DJ's.

My set-up is a custom flightcase, with PC, DJ controller, Audio Mixer and Monitor in one 4' case. Its fairly heavy, but basically I lift up onto my stand, apply power & audio feed to amp, and it boots straight into Virtual DJ in less than 1 min.

Jason

Hi Kev

When I first started using Computers for DJing I had a computer tower a 15" CRT monitor and a mouse and full sized keyboard. This was about 15 years ago... People were amazed that I used a PC for DJing (Funny how times change lol)...

I have since used 3 laptops and am currently using a Dell XPS laptop, it was always my ambition to use a laptop because of size and transportability, Back in those days I did a lot of Yate's and O'neils syle venues and used to just turn up with my tower PC and a case with my headphones mic etc in.. When I got my first laptop an old Dell I got it all in the case so one case into club and I had all my kit.

You say less chance of over heating, Have you ever had a laptop over heat on you?

I have used three now two Dell's and an IBM thinkpad, I also work in the corporate field (Conferences etc) where laptops are used extensivley to power the projectors, powerpoint, music, lighting and auto cue. Not once have I heard of one over heating. I guess it can happen but I would think a tower could overheat given a fault.

Can you not get the screen replaced on your current laptop? We have a computer market near me that sells laptop screens and parts etc...

Good luck with replacing your computer I can only imagine the sick feeling in your stomach when it happened and good job it was at the end of the gig.

Nik

Laptop - portable.

PC - more to carry but could make/buy a special case, better cooling, could get a £2,300 Digigram soundcard (although could get an external one for a laptop), easily upgradable (may not be needed).....you could use a TOUCHSCREEN with it!

Mind you...you could do that with a latop too...gives you a backup screen. Wow.

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

When I started pc dj'ing I had a pc built into a 19in steel server case which was then rackmounted in a flightcase with the screen, mixer , mouse and keyboard all left plugged in. It is just a case of turning up plugging the mains lead in and the signal leads and away you go. I have never had cooling problems and the unit is robust enough to take a few knocks, the only problem is it's heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

For me its all now about portability.

I used to run a huge goal post rig which used to take me an hour and a half to take down at the end of the night, much to the delight of the Peed off bar staff who wanted to go home too !

I use a Laptop, and since downsizing my rig, which also means I have done away with the van ( more money saving !) I can get it all stripped down and ready to load in just 15 minutes !!!!

Edited by urby