Which do you think are the best?

Is there a better alternative?

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/30596_l.jpg

Hercules

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/30004_l.jpg

Beringer

http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/htfrimages/BMR222706.jpg

Numark

They all have the same features, at around the same price.

But I can't decide which one to buy.

Thanks Llyr

Which one do you use?

Hercules

Beringer

Numark

Thanks Llyr

None of them! :D this one ............... http://www.sounds4uentertainment.co.uk/her...e-rmx-244-p.asp It's a very good controller especially with Numark Cue / Virtual dj.

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

I've used the Hercules MK2 and the Behringer BCD3000. I can't comment on others.

The Herc was ok- main problem was build quality and it was very easy to knock the scratch pads.

The BCD3000 is my current tool, main problem is lack of good mic input (mic input switches off deck A - a reported problem and discussed in this forum). I now use a separate audio mixer which also gives me other options for CD/MP3 player input.

I suggest visiting your local DJ store for a possible demo.

Jason

I've used the Hercules MK2 and the Behringer BCD3000. I can't comment on others.

The Herc was ok- main problem was build quality and it was very easy to knock the scratch pads.

The BCD3000 is my current tool, main problem is lack of good mic input (mic input switches off deck A - a reported problem and discussed in this forum). I now use a separate audio mixer which also gives me other options for CD/MP3 player input.

I suggest visiting your local DJ store for a possible demo.

Jason

I'm using VDJ,

I would probably use another mixer too so no problem, What software do you use with it? The only problem I can see with the BCD300 is you can't use it to choose and change tracks like the other two.

There are no local DJ shop's i'n my area and the videos on you tube don't help much!

I'm using VDJ,

I would probably use another mixer too so no problem, What software do you use with it? The only problem I can see with the BCD300 is you can't use it to choose and change tracks like the other two.

There are no local DJ shop's i'n my area and the videos on you tube don't help much!

I'm on VDJ too, but you're right, the BCD doesn't let you select files. You may be able to re-map some of the inputs, but I've not tried as I use a keyboard & glidepad keyboard.

If you're local to Enfield/Waltham Cross, you're welcome to pop over and have a play.

I can't recommend the Hercules, just doesn't feel solid enough. Perhaps if they did the old Amstrad trick of fitting some weights inside it would feel better :joe:

Jason

I'm using VDJ,

Hi

The problem isn't that big as you'd be using a laptop or similar with Traktor LE. TBH the BCD3000 is more a controller for the software package rather than a complete DJ package by itself. I've used it for a year and never felt this to be a problem.

In saying that I'm stopping using it because I can't rely on it. I use it with a Mac Book and as much as I try, I cannot stop it gradually causing problems with the sound. It will play great and then after an hour or two you'll start to get drop outs. Sometimes it can be fixed easily, others you need a whole reboot.

I recently took a couple of days and tracked down as much info as I could on the problem (the native instruments forum is good for this). I really thought I had it sussed and at home I had it running for 8 hours with no problems. However, live it just went back to it's old ways. About a month ago I was doing a gig and had to do a complete reboot 3 times. Thankfully the crowd took it okayish.

The only thing I can think is different is that at home I'm pretty much playing tracks I want, were as live there are requests and I'll do a lot moe searches on the laptop. I think this is chipping away at the available resources in the laptop and this triggers the same old problem.

From what I've read this doesn't effect PC laptops as much but even then it can still happen.

After that I decided to get a more traditional mixer and either use 2 laptops or get a more upmarket ext sound card that has two outputs (any recomendations welcome) and feed this into the new mixer. I'm lucky that I have second laptop and it will give me a backup if something goes wrong with one of them.

I love the BCD3000 and if I could find a fix I would use it but although I have really tried I still can't trust it live. I might still use it now and again, but never without a back up that I can instantly switch in.

HTH

Matt

________

Matt McC

I used the herc Mk2 with VDJ and it was ok. If your hands are bigger than a 5 year olds you will knock the scratch pads. VDJ had a habit of freezing :hurt: no real reason why it just felt like a break sometimes.

lump

I had the same problem with knocking the scratch pads - damm annoying.. It was overwise pretty usable, and was much easier to use than a mouse & keyboard.

I've left VDJ running for 7 days on autoDJ with no problems, and never had it crash/lockup whilst running a gig or experimenting at home.

I'm on XPpro on a PC (not a laptop), with no other software installed and a few tweaks.

I had the same problem with knocking the scratch pads - damm annoying.. It was overwise pretty usable, and was much easier to use than a mouse & keyboard.

I've left VDJ running for 7 days on autoDJ with no problems, and never had it crash/lockup whilst running a gig or experimenting at home.

I'm on XPpro on a PC (not a laptop), with no other software installed and a few tweaks.

I think thats where I went wrong I'm running vista pro with a few other progs on the laptop. I didn't play out with it anyways it was just messing about at home. I sold my herc mk2 on fleabay last week.

The new herc looks good but if your uping the budget you may aswell IMO go for M-Audio Torq Xponent...that looks lovely :love:

lump

Which one do you use?

Hercules

Beringer

Numark

Thanks Llyr

having retailed all of the above, i came to the conclusion that the Total control by numark is better than the other 2. it comes with specifically engineered software, an option of a DJiO (external sound card) for mic and monitor - but the coll thing is, you dont need the DJiO because the TC has a boat load of inbuilt mixing aid tools to help you create the perfect mix. Also if you want to 'do it properly' you can turn the mixing aid tools off and mix the proper way.

if you want to spend more money and get something a bit more professional, again, its numark gear and check out the DMC2 (which you will need the CM200 USB mixer(4 channel, which helps)) or the NS7.

Edited by x4cs

About a month ago I was doing a gig and had to do a complete reboot 3 times. Thankfully the crowd took it okayish.

The only thing I can think is different is that at home I'm pretty much playing tracks I want, were as live there are requests and I'll do a lot moe searches on the laptop. I think this is chipping away at the available resources in the laptop and this triggers the same old problem.

From what I've read this doesn't effect PC laptops as much but even then it can still happen.

Just out of interest, whats the reboot time like on a Mac? eg: Time to reboot and get the correct track playing again?

Just out of interest, whats the reboot time like on a Mac? eg: Time to reboot and get the correct track playing again?

Now don't get me wrong. I'm notTa Mac zealot. I've got enough PCs to prove that.

The Mac reboot time is pretty fast. Approx 2 minutes on mine. However, with the BCD3000 you have to make sure that you rebooot it in a particular order and then make sure it is set up correctly. This can mean the best part of 4 to 5 minutes to get back to the track you want.

This is why, when possible., I would have something/anything to take over while I restarted it. However in my last gig with it I didn't have this.

Matt

________

Matt McC

• 5 months later...

I have the BCD 3000 & sadly it freezes the laptop every hour or longer but sadly is totally unpredictable so i wouldnt reccomend it. I just got the numark omni control but it was faulty straight out of the box, not only this, but the replacement unit too!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely gutted and wound up. Going to try the RMX console next & if thats no good ill get the VCI 300 or the NS 7 but they are both double the price of the RMX.

All Anthems Disco - Mobile Disco / DJ Hire - Cornwall

I have used the BCD3000 with no lock-ups.

Performance of any hardware will vary from PC to PC, and many factors come into play. Keeping the "DJ PC" clean of non-essential software will help with this, ideally a plain XP install with a clean-up to remove unrequired services.

If you can treat the PC as a standalone tool (so no games/surfing etc), then it will be more reliable when you're DJing.

I did use the Herc Mk2, but didn't like the build quality, and kept knocking the jog wheels - I never used it on a Gig, but other than the jog wheel knocking issue (which is me being clumsy!), it was easy to use.

The BCD3000 is ok, and with the 15 or so gigs I did with it, I didn't have any issues.

You'll need a proper mixer for Mic use (the BCD mic input has a known hardware problem leaving it useless).

The Herc Mk2 has a built in mixer, and you can plug a mic directly into the front - so could save on a separate mixer (although I'd advise getting a small one as a backup)

I can't comment on the NuMark - never used it.

Jason