Dj's United

South east

Moneyfields football club in portsmouth has a real low sound limiter you can bypass it with a long power lead to the kitchen.

Hey Kray - Is this legal? Didn't another member mention a while back, that doing this could cost the DJ a heavy fine if 'caught' by-passing the 'limiter'?

Sorry mate - if it's 'ilegal', I wouldn't want a fellow DJ getting into trouble. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Its not illegal to bypass a limiter.... In fact, its not a compulsory thing for limiters to be installed... it just makes life easier for the license applicant to get the license especially if they live in a residential area. Village Halls are terrible for limiters - they are there in the main to appease residents - not as a legal requirement. I will always by pass a limiter if I can.

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What if the 'limiter' has been installed by the local council, in a council public hire venue?

Sorry to ask this, just need to be 100% legit!!!!!!

It really doesnt matter who installs it.... the council are likely to get complaints by neighbours if you play too loud - that is probably the reason they fit them in the first place... but it is not illegal to by pass... it could come under the stipulations of the by-laws pertaining to the hire of the venue... but that is something your client should be able to advise you about. I have never seen any rules posted at halls by the council saying that you are not allowed to by pass the limiter.... and if like me, your voice is enough to set them off, then just make sure you have enough cable to find a different ring circuit - but dont go playing too loud... or the environmental health could come out and convisgate your gear!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

QUOTE (discodirect @ Nov 26 2003, 05:58 PM)

Sorry mate - if it's 'ilegal', I wouldn't want a fellow DJ getting into trouble. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Dan i really don't kowthe ins and outs of this but as a extra note to my above post.

If you do bypass the sound limiter you do so at your own risk but the limiter is very very sensitive as the mic is positioned above the bar so you get the volume of everybody speaking before you even turn your gear on.

Edited by Dj_Kray
  • 1 month later...

I better learn quick what these 'limiters' involve, I used to DJ abroad and we never

had such problems, what aload of hogs warts...

Can the enviromental agency really just confiscate equipment, I was under the

impressin they had to take readings and warn you before even thinking about

going any further and if its a hobby the law has another effect to the actions

but if its your main source of income there's no way in hell they can touch your

equipment. FACT...

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience limiters are usually installed to passify the local residents, if you bypass them and don't play excessivly loud I can't see a problem. I've never had my sound set one off , it's always the crowd. All you need is a few kids shouting and you lights and sound are off in a second, how annoying is that. So in my opinion bypass if you can.

Hayd

Starmix Disco Website

Theres a local council run hall near me which i did a few gigs in but refuse to do so now - the limiter is set ridiculously low and only a tiny yellow ball above the djs head sinals htat the power is about to cut. Play anything like brown eyed girl/buttercup and the singing is bound to set the limiter off.

Drives me insane

Dynamite, can you let us know the name of this venue so that we can also avoid it or at least be forewarned if going in there..

Cheers http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Ive been trying to think of the name all day - its Burchatt's Farm Barn, and the address is Stoke Park, Guildford.

Its tucked away behind a regular venue of mine - Old Guildfordians Rugby Club - which is Always a real easy gig to do - just watch out for the fire escape if its been raining as the function room is upstairs.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Funny you should mention Burchetts Farm, When I work there, the caretaker shakes my hand, and say's i'll go and turn the limiter off - go figure.

Have you moved yet, you were going to let me know.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

What anoys me about sound limiters is the damage they potentially can do to amplifiers.....switching off the power when on a transient can blow output devices. I always by pass them too!!

Funny you should mention Burchetts Farm, When I work there, the caretaker shakes my hand, and say's i'll go and turn the limiter off - go figure.

He's a really decent bloke the caretaker there - only trouble is he won't stop talking to you while you're trying to set up http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif. i havnt worked there for a couple of years but the times i did after the initial time he had a long extension from the kitchen ready for me to use as this wasn't affected by the limiter. Apparently they only have trouble in the summer when the marquee thing is out the back - then the neighbours start to complain.

Have you moved yet, you were going to let me know.

Not yet - really no idea what's going on in that department atm. Im at uni at the moment so completly detached from whats going on at home - ill get those forms back to you one day tho! They're at home and im at uni but im popping back to do a couple of gigd in a few weeks so ill try and fill them out then. sorry for the disorganization http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/oops.gif

Another Venue around here to watch out for is Bisley Pavillion - its fine just dont bother taking any pa (obviously check first) - i dont know if Mikeee has found the same - but they have installed their own sound system and wont let DJ's use their own as they "always play too loud" - dont see why they cant just ask them to keep to a sensible volume!

Steve

they probably have a sneaky limiter incorporated in their set up!..... I HATE LIMITERS!!!! I wish some people would give us a bit of credit that if we are asked to play "not tooo loudly" then some of us actually dont!

• 1 month later...

Had a great night in Crawley some time ago now. I had almost set up when a young girl asked to make an anouncement before the evening began, ... you guessed it the limiter did it's job. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/oops.gif

The staff at the council run leisure centre were more than helpful. The manager suggested I hook up behind the bar. The bar was so far away that even my long extension lead wouldn't get there so the manager went off and found one for me. As if they hadn't done enough already, the security made regular patrols outside and let me know if the volume was too loud. As it happened they said I was able to lift the volume each time.

Makes you wonder if the limiter is really necesary!.

Oh! and in case you're wondering, It was a 6th form collage xmas party ... it was LOUD!!