Dj's United

Charging To Compere An Event

Hi there, I would like a bit of advice regarding how much extra to charge a client to compere an event.

It is an all dayer and they are paying me to be there from start to finish, and DJ inbetween bands and at the end.

Originally they were going to pay for a compere but then asked if I would do it. So bearing in mind I will be there anyway, what you you charge?

And out of interest, how much does a compere usually command - per hour/or for say, 6 hours.

As my quote would be for time on site, not time playing music, I wouldn't add any charge.

I find most djs usually compere at events where there is no MC. I would expect it myself. This week I am doing a funday in a park. I do this every year for the local council and quote for disco and PA services.

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

Good point, I was going to charge less for my 'downtime' i.e. not DJing when the bands are on, but I think a flat hourly rate no matter what is a better idea and I will do the compering for free.

More chance of securing the gig that way as well, as they will probably be inclined to book a DJ who could do the compering.

On a separate point, what is a fair price for 1 days radio mic hire, as I may hire one in so I am not stuck behind the decks waiting for the bands to start and finish.

I need to hire one, not charge the client. I have only got a wired mic.

Then you should pass this charge on to your client.

I would act as compere without any extra fee as I see it as being part of my overall package. Any personality style DJ would probably do the same, perhaps not the mix only guys.

On a separate point, what is a fair price for 1 days radio mic hire, as I may hire one in so I am not stuck behind the decks waiting for the bands to start and finish.

You're probably better off buying one. I find mine gets used quite a lot for speeches and if i want to interact with the crowd, welcome the birthday person onto the floor for a speech etc.

I have a Senheiser UHF Freeport. About £140 as i recall. It has a decent sound (needs a bit of eq) and the range is good.

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

• 3 weeks later...

our hire company charges just £18 for a night for a Shure SM58 radio mic, however ive seen companies charge upto £25 for the same item. Personally id add this to your quote, you are merely passing the charge on and theyd probably respect you for taking the Compere role seriously enough to warrant a little extra piece of equipment.