Dj's United

Active Speaker Setup?

hi folks, i'd better say hello first as its my first post on the forum!

i'm just looking for a little advice.

having never used a pair of actives, i have just bought a pair of w-audio psr-15as.

on the rear panel, amongst other things are bass and treble and line and master volumes.

what do you reckon is the best way to set them, all on full and then tweak them on the mixer or down a little on all levels and again tweak them on the mixer?

i'm really jujst trying to get the best sound i can out of them and thought that maybe dro[pping the levels on line and master would lessen any background noise.

having done a search of the forum i know there are a few people using the w audio actives so im sure a little advice will be forthcoming!

on a side note, at the minute i am very impressed with them, i was going to spend a fair bit more and go for mackies or rcfs' but the build quality and sound for the price are extremely good.in fact the quality is excellent even forgetting the low price point, i'd definately say these would go for a lot more if they were badged by a better known company!

cheers folks!

I have a Warrior Gig Rig and I set the master volume so that the speaker amp clips at the same time as the level meters on the mixer so I know what level I can push the volume to without keep looking at the speaker amps.

The bass and treble I would set so that it gives the best sound with the mixer EQ set flat and then you can use the mixer EQ to make adjustments for individual tracks that need it.

I like their speakers too smile icon I've got the passive PSR 12's as well as the Gig Rig

I have a Warrior Gig Rig and I set the master volume so that the speaker amp clips at the same time as the level meters on the mixer so I know what level I can push the volume to without keep looking at the speaker amps.

The bass and treble I would set so that it gives the best sound with the mixer EQ set flat and then you can use the mixer EQ to make adjustments for individual tracks that need it.

I like their speakers too smile icon I've got the passive PSR 12's as well as the Gig Rig

cheers tony, will do just that, as soon as the neighbours arent about!

with regards to the psr-15s, i did have a pair of peavey 2rx hooked up to an ep2500, they sounded very muddy in comparison :D

Hi wwfc and welcome to the forum.

the advice i was given when i bought my first pair of actives 4 years ago was to set the bass and treble to 12 oclock and the volume to 1 oclock and then use your mixer to set the required volume.

even though actives cabs volume can go all the way round to roughly 6 oclock its best not to push them this much as it can damage the cones and over power the amp especially if you are playing for 5-6 hours at a gig.

jim

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

ok ,thanks for the advice so far, having a google and reading the mackie user manuals seems to suggest its basically the same setup as a normal passive setup.

the only difference being that there is no equalisation on a normal amp.

so, the way im going to do it at the minute is-

1.presuming that 12 o'clock on the base and treble adjustment is 0db gain will set them to that and eq through the mixer.

2. both line and master set to 0 on the speakers.

3.play a track through the channel on the mixer, set the channel to 0 and up the master till i start to hit 0 on the leds.

4.master on the speakers to 12 o'clock and then adjust the line on the speakers until the speakers start to clip, then back off a little.

in that way i should never have to redline the speakers?

all my karaoke is normalised so within 1db or so i should have no variation! and any background music between singers is always well down anyway(must get round to normailising that too!)

apologies for the slow replies but im still on probation,lol!