Dj's United

Just got my new powered Mackie set up. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about using them after reading reports of fried amps etc, but after two gigs so far, I wonder what all the fuss was about?

I had them working 6 hours both nights, split half vocals with my band and half playing a rock disco. Kept checking for the well reported 'heatsink' problem, but they were running really cool! My PC runs warmer! And this was a big, sweaty bikers gig, with full stage lights.

If you're thinking of a Mackie rig, then don't worry about all the doom and gloom merchants.

PS And, and I know you aint gonna believe this cos its a bit of a cliche.....somebody did actually come up to me at the end of the night and say it was the best they'd heard me singing.

Chuffed to bits with them. (450s and the 1501 bins)

Yea I agree....

I have been running the good ol 1501 and 450 combo for a number of months now, tend to use both for most gigs as I like my bass to be "thump thump thump" tongue out icon

When running like this I have never had a problem with heat issues, sure the heatsinks get warm on both the bins and the tops, but they are hearsinks thats what they are meant to do.

Even if driven hard for a longish period they still dont get worryingly hot, so they are all fine.

Running the 450s on their own then they get much hotter if driven hard, but still nothing to worry about, sure they get hot, but not in the same league as a george foreman, not even close :Thumbup:

Kept checking for the well reported 'heatsink' problem

Yeah I always wonder what people are on about when they say the Mackie heatsinks get red hot and start shutting down. We often service the SRM450's and run then all day into limit and they just get nicely warm, by the time they're so hot that they trip..well..somethings seriously wrong with the way they're using them! Mackie are and always have been a reputable international brand (their sister companies include Martin Audio and EAW) and they simply wouldn't make a silly mistake like making speakers that will only play if you add your own fans. We're talking the UK climate here..Mackie are an American company and sell alot in America!

While you have the SRM 450's running, I dare you to push the auto power off button in and out a couple of times - right before you start the gig so you have time to swap them for something else. Mind you, all the LED's lit up (except power) with NO signal looks nice :angry: I had 3 out of 4 450's die this way. In the bags you could not help to push the switch in/out during transportation and panic at sound check that there was no power!

That's doom "n" gloom -

Never again. Db or RCF. Full stop.

I'm one for Mackie - I had the subs but personally disliked the sound - so sold those off. :lame:

The SRM450s have been great though - pushed hard on occasions and done a lot of work. Yes, they do get hot, more so if the room is hot too, but so do normal power amps. Never had them cut out and they just keep delivering - everytime. Goodness knows how you can blow them - the processing and limiters inside should protect them from even the most redline-happy users.

Ok, they don't sound the best ever - but they get the job done - nice and easy - better than a lot I've heard too. tongue out icon

Ben

I had one overheat on me after a night of R&B and Dance with the volume way up. I also had my Bass Enhancer a bit high aswell. That combined with the heat of the room threw one into thermal even though the peak lights were not lit at all. The unit came back on in less than 10 minutes once it had cooled.

I think it has taught to exercise a bit of caution with that type of music, plus I now use a sub if there is going to be Dance and RnB a fair bit.

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

I've never had the peak lights lit, ever? Even trying them out - I just couldn't get them to light - Even flat out. :scared: I rang mackie and they told me they are "input peak indicators"...not amplifier clip lights. Aparently the amps never clip because of the processing/limiting done inside. Wierd design... :rolleyes:

A 'bass enhancer' is bound to push any system too much - not suprised problems occured...

Surely if the auto power was out, they'd be on all the time, and if the auto power was in, they'd come on as soon as you did the sound check!?

Yeah thats right. Can't remember the exact routine but it was while pushing the button in/out that the amp died and all the LEDs except "power" were lit.

Yeah thats right. Can't remember the exact routine but it was while pushing the button in/out that the amp died and all the LEDs except "power" were lit.

Moral is 'dont push buttons'

Had it going again tonight..this time450s only...loud...never got beyond warm!

You lot must have been pushin em (or punishing them)

My vocals never sounded as good..and I'm fussy!

:o)

• 2 weeks later...

having worked for a Mackie Main Dealer, i can honestly say over 50% of the SRm 450's were returned with one of either 2 faults

The Bass would be distorting, even at low volumes, it was not the driver, it was the amp

There would be no bass at all, again not the driver, the amp was at fault

Mackie's backup was very good in every instance, providing advanced replacements. However a very high failure rate. The MK2 is out now which has uprated the power supplies for the amp (so we've been told) however the price is 50% more, so thats killed the market!

We've never had a problem with the Bass Cabs though, which is a relief!

Aparently the amps never clip because of the processing/limiting done inside. Wierd design...

Nah its a standard clip-limiter. Gain reduction results from driving them too hard. Most amps and powered speakers have them nowadays..how effective they are varies between makes.

If you drive speakers so hard that the peak lights come on, you're driving them too hard! Back off a bit or buy a bigger system. It's like you're red-lining your car rev counter.

• 9 months later...

Just going for a pair of 450s.

Reading the posts here they seem a safe bet,

providing you're not trying to fill Wembley Stadium with Drum n Bass!!! :lil devil:

:thanks:

why dont you start a poll , "my mackies broke" , "my mackies are fine"

"my mackies are fine" :D

I liked the sound and build quality.

Great build quality and excellent ound. Subs are not needed for small to medium crowds. i think there are great on their own if playing to less han 200 people. If more add 1 or 2 subs.

Don't forget th mackie speker covers.