Dj's United

Dynacord Question

I've just got a new Mackie powred system, which I am well pleased with, but the mixer that came with it (the DF6) has poor effects. I have a Dynacord Powermate which I was gonna sell, but somebody has said these can run without speakers connected, purely as a mixer (I really like the pre amp, eq and effects on the Dynacord).

Is this true?

I know they have some kind of protection circuit, but just wondered if thats all I need...just plug the Dynacord in, speakerless, and use the pre amp part via the EQ out, or main out sockets (obviously not the speaker out part).

Anybody know if its possible?

Was gonna sell the Dynacord and get an Allen and Heath Wizard, but if its ok to use the Powermate purely as a mixer, then I'll stick with it.

I've just got a new Mackie powred system, which I am well pleased with, but the mixer that came with it (the DF6) has poor effects. I have a Dynacord Powermate which I was gonna sell, but somebody has said these can run without speakers connected, purely as a mixer (I really like the pre amp, eq and effects on the Dynacord).

Is this true?

I know they have some kind of protection circuit, but just wondered if thats all I need...just plug the Dynacord in, speakerless, and use the pre amp part via the EQ out, or main out sockets (obviously not the speaker out part).

Anybody know if its possible?

Was gonna sell the Dynacord and get an Allen and Heath Wizard, but if its ok to use the Powermate purely as a mixer, then I'll stick with it.

In the PDf manual on the dynacord web site for the powermate 1000 and 1600 it says

58. MAIN OUTPUTS

The signals at the MAIN OUTPUTS are post master fader and mainly meant to

feed additional, external power amplifiers. Through these outputs it is also possible

to establish two-way active system set-ups. In this case the active crossovers

– respectively the active subwoofers – have to be connected to the MAIN OUTPUTS.

If you want to use the internal power amplifier to drive the high frequency cabinets,

the treble signal coming from the crossover has to be fed back into the PowerMate

via the Power Amp In connectors.

so yes you use the main outs to the speakers

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

In the PDf manual on the dynacord web site for the powermate 1000 and 1600 it says

58. MAIN OUTPUTS

The signals at the MAIN OUTPUTS are post master fader and mainly meant to

feed additional, external power amplifiers. Through these outputs it is also possible

to establish two-way active system set-ups. In this case the active crossovers

– respectively the active subwoofers – have to be connected to the MAIN OUTPUTS.

If you want to use the internal power amplifier to drive the high frequency cabinets,

the treble signal coming from the crossover has to be fed back into the PowerMate

via the Power Amp In connectors.

so yes you use the main outs to the speakers

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply...I'm pretty sure its right, just that it goes against everything I've learned over the years. How do the amps not blow?Is there a protection circuit or something? I know there is one if speaker impedence goes below 2.something ohms. Presumably it operates if there are no speakers and impedence is therefore 0. Going to give it a go, but just curious as,like I said, not connecting speakers to an amp, then switching amp on, I always thought meant goodbye output transistors!

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply...I'm pretty sure its right, just that it goes against everything I've learned over the years. How do the amps not blow?Is there a protection circuit or something? I know there is one if speaker impedence goes below 2.something ohms. Presumably it operates if there are no speakers and impedence is therefore 0. Going to give it a go, but just curious as,like I said, not connecting speakers to an amp, then switching amp on, I always thought meant goodbye output transistors!

no it just a pre output not amplified enough to drive speakers so its just like the line level output on a cd player you do not connect it to the amplified outputs designed to actually drive speakers if in doubt read the manual on the website . if still in doubt do not try connecting it up .

most powered mixers have pre outputs which are at line level these are NOT the same as the speaker outputs

Edited by enquirer
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

no it just a pre output not amplified enough to drive speakers so its just like the line level output on a cd player you do not connect it to the amplified outputs designed to actually drive speakers if in doubt read the manual on the website . if still in doubt do not try connecting it up .

most powered mixers have pre outputs which are at line level these are NOT the same as the speaker outputs

yeh I know about those outs...but are not the power amps...erm powered up? If so. how come they don't need a 4 or 8 ohm load?

How do the amps not blow

Lol The question should be, How Could the Amps Blow..??

If there's no load connected then they're doing no work.

Just go ahead and use it as already described via the main mix outputs.

A tube amp will be damaged if run with no load

Most solid state amps i have used will run fine with no load

The theory as I've heard it is that a solid state amp can take resistance down to a particular level (for example 8ohm, 4ohm etc.) but not lower. Higher is not a problem at all. Not having a speaker plugged in is infinite resistance

Edited by enquirer
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

Most solid state amps i have used will run fine with no load

The theory as I've heard it is that a solid state amp can take resistance down to a particular level (for example 8ohm, 4ohm etc.) but not lower. Higher is not a problem at all. Not having a speaker plugged in is infinite resistance

Ah..right!

I was assuming no speakers meant 0 ohms, and 0 ohms is less than 4ohms, but in fact its millions of ohms...well ..infinite ohms?

So I can do it...in that case the Dynacord mentioned in the FS section is not for sale :joe:

Many thanks everybody...complicated innit :rolleyes:

Yes because 'tube amps' (valve amps in the UK) do have a load even with no speakers connected..the output transformers. Solid state power amps of the DJ world don't use output transformers.