Dj's United

Best Usb Controller For A Starting Bedroom Dj?

Hey, I just found this forum and thought this would be the best place to get advice on where to start with DJ-ing.

At first I considered USB controllers then upgrade to turntables but I think if I got a decent USB controller to begin with I would stick with that as it seems more cost effective.

Since there are experienced people here I was wondering which is best for me. I've been using Virtual DJ and want a controller for it. I've looked at Hercules MK2 and Torq Xponent. I'm basically looking for a controller to start me off and that i can keep using for parties or gigs when i develop my skills.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I currently use the Behringer BCD3000 - but have used the Herc MK2. Both have their flaws.

I'm mainly happy with the BCD3000, it feels fairly well made. Both products are about £140, but ebay may have some cheaper. The Herc didn't feel right to me, the wheels were too easy to knock, and it just felt a bit of a toy.

The BCD is heavier, mains powered, and feels much more rugged. The main drawback is the Mic inputs are unusable, so I use an external 6 channel mixer which provides mic inputs.

No experience on the Torq.

You'll almost certainly need a Mixer if you wish to use a Mic with most of these (although the Herc has a working Mic input, and could go straight into the amp).

Most of these controllers have a built-in soundcard, and some kind of monitor set-up so you can use headphones.

My advice... Visit your local DJ store and ask for a demo - or if you're local to me, I'll be happy to meet up and let you test the BCD.

Some DJ's don't use a controller, so its not essential. Also, forget trying to scratch with any wheels on these things... The wheels are useful for cueing tracks up, but not much else.

Bear in mind, that in addition to the cost of the controller+mixer+music, (and possibly DJ software) you may need to purchase the "pro-dub" license, if you're ripping CD's to MP3/WAV etc.

This is discussed in detail in other threads- so I won't bog this one down with it! :rolleyes:

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quickie about the Xponent. My friend had one and it has major incompatability issues with Vista, so you'll need to use XP (if windows based) for the operating system.

But other than that its pretty good tbh, i've not had time to really have aplay with it, and being a vinyl junkie i found it hard to use, cause you just cant get that "vinyl" feel without something like Serato.

J

IF MODS SPOT THIS : PLEASE CAN YOU DELETE MY ACCOUNT AND POSTS.