Dj's United

Complete Systems - Any Good?

Hi guys.

I have been looking around for a while at all sorts of options for setting up a decent rig to enable me to start paid work as a mobile disco. (18th's, 21st's etc)

I have seen lots of examples of complete systems available and I would like your advice as to whether these job lots are any good.

A couple of the examples I am considering are here:

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=4107&cat=294

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=4101&cat=294

The only kit I currently have is years worth of CD's so I need everything else to create a set up.

If you don't think that these are suitable systems, do you have any other suggestions. My budget is about £2000

Thanks for all of your help so far.

John

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I have to be honest, The 2nd link I wouldnt touch with a barge pole. The Numark iDJ2 is more of a toy than a serious piece of DJ kit. I would question its reliability & robustness and personally would not use it.

The speakers (Tapco Thump) I have never heard but have been warned away from by people who have bought them. I would get a 2nd opinion on them first.

SOUND EQUIPMENT: Audiences up to 250 People

>>1 x KAM KCDMP5000 MP3 / CD Package

>>2 x Celestion 15" 300WRMS Speakers

>>2 x Celestion 15" 400WRMS Bass Speakers

>>1 x C-Mark 1400W Amplifier

>>1 x Numark HF125 Headphones

>>1 x Cable Microphone

>>All connecting cables.

LIGHTING:

>>2 x Acme Light Splashes

>>1 x Acme ImpossiLED

>>1 x Acme MiracLED

>>1 x Ultimax 1.2m Pro DJ Stand

>>1 x Soundlab Smoke Machine

>>1 x 5Ltrs Smoke Fluid

>>4 x Clamps

Hi John, All depends on your budjet, the first link sounds ok, however kam and celestion are very much the lower end of the scale with DJ equipment.

Having said this, the set up will obviously start you off. If you over drive the celestion speakers, they tend to get damaged easily. The kam cd/mp3 players are really starting off stuff.

I personally would look on ebay for a second hand set up, like this one for example...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/complete-peavey-pa-s...id=p3286.c0.m14

The peavy stuff will be ten times better, all you gotta do is find the lights.

Lighting is a personal choice.. some love the impossibles... I had 2 at one point, but sold them on within 2 weeks.. tacky imo. They were looking good at first, but in the last 6 months LED lighting has really took off, and you can get lots more lighting that does more than the impossibles do.

For example, you could spend 1k on this lot, and still have £650 to buy lights.. impossibles are only 100 quid now, the other lights they mention are cheaper still.

smoke macine - 30 quid

Fluid - fiver

So yes, its a decent all in one package, but not the best quality in sound to be dead honest.

You get what you pay for very much in the DJ field

Just food for thought anyway mate

PS you mention that 21st's and 18ths ... they couldnt give a toss about the lights, (few will do most venues)

In my experience, they want a thumping bassy sound, therefore speakers is number one to get right.

give me 3.4 K and you can have my OHM set up worth 5.5 K

But they'll love it!! haha

Edited by jeffwall

Here's my take on your situation for what it's worth, others opinions may differ. Firstly I wouldn't touch either of the systems with someone else's barge, pole let alone my own. They are at the very bottom end of what could be thought of as a pro set up, if you buy these you will find out in 6 months time when you want to upgrade, nobody will pay you anywhere near what you paid for your now s/h kit. IMO buying good 'professional standard' s/h gear is the way to go, if of course, you are confident in your ability to spot the crap and con men out there. People call ebay, but Personally, I've had some fantastic deals off ebay over the years, including new kit. The last 'super deal' being a new Denon DN-X900 digital mixer for £332 bought 2 weeks ago, (brand new, factory sealed UK model, serial numbers, no con whatsoever) and when I took my ebay 10% discount voucher off, it was only £311 inc postage, and that is very very Cheap! for this standard of mixer.

If I were you, here's how I'd spend the £2k: All s/h items are in good condition, and bought off ebay for prices that are genuinly acheivable.

Firstly I would invest in a quality sound system, anyone who tells you the sound doesn't matter is talking rubbish.

I would look out for a pair of good s/h Mackie 450's (£450 - 500), and a single Mackie 1501 sub (£350 - 400) and a pair of well built aluminum speaker stands (around £25) to put them on. These are real pro quality kit and 'Active' so no amps to buy, no speaker cables all over the place, no crossovers needed and a quick set - up / take down and will play easily to 200 folks.

For the CD player I'd go for a Numark CDN88, you can find very good ones for £150, and for that, they're a lot of player, IMO they're one of the best players Numark's ever made. Mixer, I'd get a CM200 or similar (£70 - 100) but make sure it's OK, a new cross fader can set you back £50! even in a Numark. I would probably go for a new case to put it in, £60 buys a nice one, and your kit will look the business.

Lights, I'm a Martin fan, the lights are good and s/h spares are readily available, (new cost a fortune).

I'd look out for 2 Martin Acrobats in vgc and expect to get them for around £175 for the pair. I would also look out for a pair of Abstract Twister 4 HP's you can get these for the same sort of price (£175)

I'd buy a 4' DJ stand and a 3 colour star-cloth which would give you somewhere to hang your lights and put your decks, expect to pay £220 new (less s/h) but watch out for high postage on the stand and there's not many s/h star-cloths on ebay (people must like them) try 'why buy new .com'

I've not made any allowance for cables and interconnects, since if you collect the stuff you buy, they normally get chucked in, along with a surprising amount of other stuff if you're lucky.

By my reckoning you should have a kit to be proud of and £400 left in the bank for when one of those 'too good to be true bargains' crops up like this one, Denon DN-D9000 plus DN-X800 Mixer in SKB ABS Case for £367!!! don't believe me? take a look HERE I just missed it by a bid. :damn: If you go down the s/h route give me a ring before you start spending your hard earned money, I can give you a few priceless tips on buying on ebay, most of them learned the hard way LOL

Edited by disco4hire

New Site Clouds Disco

Thanks for the advice gents.

John

John

Not read the rest of this thread but have seen you are trying to get into the game.

How would I spend £2k

CD player - twin deck stanton with anti shock is my weapon of choice. Basic with anti shock does a job no toys - do you need drum loops? £175 - Hard to find records - new and warranted.

Amp - get yourself a nice new one fro £250 - Crown XLS 602 is a gem. You can get them that cheep

Speakers - Nice set of second hand ones not worked hard. You can pick up OHM RW3's 300 watt full range for £100 - I await abuse on this one - I have 4 - 2 go out 2 as spare. I like the sound.

Mixer will set you back around £200 for a nice new one of good quality

Radio mics - another £200 for a nice one. I have Sennheisers for my mates vocal work Ew 100 and Ew 300 - a pretty penny, but others about. Avoid cheap radio mics

Lighting

Wind up system £125 - I got one off ebay - is fine.

You can pick up NJD Choas's in various guises from people upgrading from as cheap as £50 a pair. They aren't exciting but do a good job. Four 100 watt and 2 250's on a rig is going to cost you £350 even if couple are new.

Stagelight show director £100 run all your lights IEC.

Relevant good qualitu cables £100.

Nice box to put it all in £100 at a maximum

Whats that - give me a second. £1,700 and you are live with a sound set of kit. £2k if you buy new cabs.

Build it yourself brother - any help needed and you can get up to Lancs give me a shout - I will take you out with my rig and give a run down on it. Always keen to help.

If the numbers are movin', the decks a runnin'

John

Not read the rest of this thread but have seen you are trying to get into the game.

How would I spend £2k

CD player - twin deck stanton with anti shock is my weapon of choice. Basic with anti shock does a job no toys - do you need drum loops? £175 - Hard to find records - new and warranted.

Amp - get yourself a nice new one fro £250 - Crown XLS 602 is a gem. You can get them that cheep

Speakers - Nice set of second hand ones not worked hard. You can pick up OHM RW3's 300 watt full range for £100 - I await abuse on this one - I have 4 - 2 go out 2 as spare. I like the sound.

Mixer will set you back around £200 for a nice new one of good quality

Radio mics - another £200 for a nice one. I have Sennheisers for my mates vocal work Ew 100 and Ew 300 - a pretty penny, but others about. Avoid cheap radio mics

Lighting

Wind up system £125 - I got one off ebay - is fine.

You can pick up NJD Choas's in various guises from people upgrading from as cheap as £50 a pair. They aren't exciting but do a good job. Four 100 watt and 2 250's on a rig is going to cost you £350 even if couple are new.

Stagelight show director £100 run all your lights IEC.

Relevant good qualitu cables £100.

Nice box to put it all in £100 at a maximum

Whats that - give me a second. £1,700 and you are live with a sound set of kit. £2k if you buy new cabs.

Build it yourself brother - any help needed and you can get up to Lancs give me a shout - I will take you out with my rig and give a run down on it. Always keen to help.

there are some great deals om ebay at the moment especially some good deals on Ev speakers and amps, you can get yourself a good pa for about a grand plenty of scanner lights and gobo moons like falcons and winners etc along with a dj table and mixers for well within your 2k ahatnd whats more most of it is named kit t would cost a fortune to buy new.

www.devonmobiledisco.co.uk