Dj's United

Single Downloads - £0.57 - Top40 Albums - £5.97

Right, to get this you need to get a receipt for any purchase from tesco.

You then take the last 6 digits from your receipt number shown in the bottom left hand corner.

Type this into vouchers section and price of downloads should be reduced down to 57p/single or £5.97/album

I believe that Tesco uses WMA format.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Don't forget your Pro-Dub licence which will allow you to burn to CD and use them.

i thought you only need a dub licence to convert a cd to mp3 etc as wma's licence you to burn upto 3 copys i think then it wont let you burn again ???

Recent information from the MCPS has confirmed that in order to burn to CD-R you will need a valid pro-dub licence, regardless of what it says on the actual download site. The terms stated on the download site are for those using them for PERSONAL use, we are COMMERCIAL and therefore will need to pay up in order to do this. See the Pro-Dub thread for more information on this.

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

ah right the pro - dub scribmantion licence lol

ya can still download it straight to your hard drive for whatever pence and play it for nothing whoo hoo

Actually, no.

All download sites I've seen state, categorically, no commercial use of their files. That means DJs.

The whole thing is illogical in the extreme.

Downloads either as they come or burned to CD are meant as an alternative to a shop bought CD yet DJs have no right to use them in the same way as a shop bought disc.

Pro-Dub will cover burning to CD. This in itself is iniquitous in my opinion, but there is no legal way to use a downloaded file in its original form.

This is a huge anomaly and I'm awaiting a definitive answer on it from MCPS.

Edited by spinner

It really does your head in, I am sure that if somebody had gone out to make music licensing as complicated as possible they could not have done a better job. Just reading on my latest Mastermix Pro Disc 98 - For DJ use Only - Unauthorised hiring lending PUBLIC PERFORMANCE and broadcasting prohibited.

Now there you go I thought DJ's tended to do PUBLIC PERFORMANCES is it me or what :wall:

It really does your head in, I am sure that if somebody had gone out to make music licensing as complicated as possible they could not have done a better job. Just reading on my latest Mastermix Pro Disc 98 - For DJ use Only - Unauthorised hiring lending PUBLIC PERFORMANCE and broadcasting prohibited.

Now there you go I thought DJ's tended to do PUBLIC PERFORMANCES is it me or what :wall:

'Twas ever thus.

The venue's performance licence covers this aspect.

Actually, no.

All download sites I've seen state, categorically, no commercial use of their files. That means DJs.

The whole thing is illogical in the extreme.

Downloads either as they come or burned to CD are meant as an alternative to a shop bought CD yet DJs have no right to use them in the same way as a shop bought disc.

Pro-Dub will cover burning to CD. This in itself is iniquitous in my opinion, but there is no legal way to use a downloaded file in its original form.

This is a huge anomaly and I'm awaiting a definitive answer on it from MCPS.

And I've had one today from Matt in the licensing department at MCPS.

Whether or not you download straight to wherever you will use it from and even if you don't make a copy, you still need the Pro-Dub licence to use it for a commercial purpose.

Whether or not you download straight to wherever you will use it from and even if you don't make a copy, you still need the Pro-Dub licence to use it for a commercial purpose

So if you are deejay and wish to use legal downloads, then you will still need to cough up £250 a year in order to play them in their ORIGINAL downloaded format?. So assuming you only need to download 50 tracks per year, the £250 is still payable from download #1 - which means that in real terms, a £5.00 tax charge is being added to every single one of those 50 downloads which you make, actually making it far more expensive than the CD Single.

I can forsee a time in the near future, when some, if not most new music will be only available and released in download format, which means that ALL deejays will not have an alternative 'no license required' format to buy and will be paying £250 per year, even if they only download 1 track in that 12 month period, in which case £0.99 for the single download + £250 for the license in order to play it, a true bargain!.

According to a recent poll, a lot of deejays are making around £1000 profit a year. Well, if this applies to you, then prepare to lose at least 25% of your profit, just for the right to play legal downloads.

Regardless of the fact that the download could be kept in its original format and so no actual format shifting has taken place, you will have to buy a license marketed for format shifting. Confused yet?, it could only be allowed to happen in the UK

Ever likely other countries frequently refer to the UK as 'Treasure Island'

Edited by McCardle

• 4 weeks later...

Could open a can of worms here.

I have to say that it only right that if some one produces some thing they should get paid for it.

If you write a song and it is recorded then you should get paid for it.

Down loading is not going to stop and is here to say and only going to get better the way I see it it's only right.

How you manage that is some thing different, the rights could be sold with the tune, then there would not be all this How many down load have t you got. etc agrument.

Thats my view

Cheers all

Pete A

Edited by music box

Could open a can of worms here.

I have to say that it only right that if some one produces some thing they should get paid for it.

If you write a song and it is recorded then you should get paid for it.

Down loading is not going to stop and is here to say and only going to get better the way I see it it's only right.

How you manage that is some thing different, the rights could be sold with the tune, then there would not be all this How many down load have t you got. etc agrument.

Thats my view

Cheers all

Pete A

Yes I agree You Pay for it....Once But you wouldent pay twice for a 3 piece suite would you?

They get paid when the track is downloaded. End of story. They think we're fools and know we'll bend over and pay it.

Maybe van manufacturers should start demanding we get licenses to transport our equipment. After all, we're using their vehicle to make money so surely we should give them a cut ?

Come to think of it, I use my computer for my business. Maybe I should start writing a cheque to Apple every year.

Denon, Mackie, QSC, Acme, Shure. Should I start writing cheques for those too ?

These people make me sick.

They get paid when the track is downloaded. End of story. They think we're fools and know we'll bend over and pay it.

Maybe van manufacturers should start demanding we get licenses to transport our equipment. After all, we're using their vehicle to make money so surely we should give them a cut ?

Come to think of it, I use my computer for my business. Maybe I should start writing a cheque to Apple every year.

Denon, Mackie, QSC, Acme, Shure. Should I start writing cheques for those too ?

These people make me sick.

that pretty much sums this on up D.X wel put !!!

the proiblem is there is too many people in the music industry who want to act important and take a wage from siting in a fancy office and doing nothing and living extravagantly on the proceeds

that pretty much sums this on up D.X wel put !!!

the proiblem is there is too many people in the music industry who want to act important and take a wage from siting in a fancy office and doing nothing and living extravagantly on the proceeds

Nail on the head