Dj's United

Moving Heads And Little Fingers

I am thinking about some moving heads but have some concerns.

If I get some I would probably place them on flight cases at the side of the booth and speaker stands.

I am wary though about children being fascinated with them and trying to touch them!

Has anybody had problems like that? Also is there a PLI issue?

Jim

Little fingers are probably the only issue, they're unlikely to inflict lasting injuries over and above any other type of light that gets hot.

I once had to repair a rotating mirror-ball type effect that a small child had attempted to 'ride'.

The only other issue you might have is kids trying to stop them from moving by grabbing on to them. A kid ripped the mirror assembly clean off a friend's scanner only the other week. As you can guess he wasnt best pleased. Other than that there shouldnt be any major problems.

I am thinking about some moving heads but have some concerns.

If I get some I would probably place them on flight cases at the side of the booth and speaker stands.

I am wary though about children being fascinated with them and trying to touch them!

Has anybody had problems like that? Also is there a PLI issue?

Jim

As far as I'm aware, there has never been a liability claim on a DJ and I hope there never is.

With PLI in mind, the DJ@ members are expected to have a duty of care, to take all reasonable precautions to prevent damage or injury to third parties and/or property. Members are expected to comply with health and safety / statutory requirements and legislation.

I guess the same concerns could be raised about Kids standing / crawling / sitting in front of speakers.

Sometimes, a friendly shake of the parents neck can sort this out! LOL! :lol: :bouncy:

Only joking of course, after all, we can't expect the kiddies to read signs can we!? LOL!

Can't pick the kids up and move them away with Health and Safety in mind because that action can be construed in all sorts of different ways....and saying anything on a mic doesn't always generate interest, and can again be construed in a different / wrong way!

Personally, if I can, I'll set the lights overhead on a rig or mount on a T Bar stand, and try my best to make the lights in-accessible to the ankle biters....but sometimes, this is never enough!

Years ago, when I was first doing kids parties, one little angel decided to come behind the rig and dump. Yes dump!

Fortunately for the kid, and for me and the roadie at the time, the kid had a nappy on, but this turned out to be loose. :yuck:

The only major discomfort the roadie and I experienced was to the nose, but the poor kid, who'd progressed from bouncy-squatting behind a speaker to rolling around the floor in front of the disco-set-up (moments later) must have had nightmares for a LONG time!

Funny, in a certain yellowish light, dark wood (parke) flooring can look just like quicksand.

Cue Bachman-Turner Overdrive....

for this purpose i always keep them nice and high

if im using a Sub + Top combo, providing they arent on poles, its quite sturdy to sit them on top. (and looks good)

lately ive attached a couple of G Clamps on the base and hung them upside down from a T-Bar, make sure the T Bar is sturdy enough though as they weigh quite a bit, ive used this with the Prolight Imove 5S and 6S

if you put them on flightcases, as soon as the dancefloor is busy, they will be blocked out, so rendered useless

have to say i do use some LED Pars at a low level - and they always attract alot of little fingers.... but they run cold so I have no concerns..... heat would be my biggest worry.

Gentle shoo-ing seems to work.

I would put them up on a overhead personally as they will get blocked out (and therefore rendered in-effective) by anyone dancing right in front of them.

Since more and more parents seem to regard the Deejay as a free creche' facility, and let their offspring toddle / walk / run around the venue unsupervised, and with disregard to any dangers posed by this strange new environment, I would be extremely careful about any hot / moving parts within easy reach of any children or indeed drunk adult for that matter. It does alarm me, the number of toddlers who are left to wonder around a venue which may have hot buffet serving facilities, ornamental ponds / fountains, steep steps, glass patio style doors and a Deejay with all of that expensive equipment and wires and flashing lights. No doubt an incident will occur which directly affects an MP or their family and some weird and wonderful new EU directive will come into play, requiring us and the venues to part with more dosh to cover up for the lack of parental duties and common sense shown by some. God forbid we ever reach a time where parents are actually held responsible and accountable for their kids and their safety. its far easier to sit right at the other end of the room, in denial.

Then again, where there is blame, there is a claim.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'