Dj's United

Produb Licence - Their Site...

I noticed that the reference page for MCPS/PRS made available for checking if a certain DJ has the ProDub licence doesn't make it very clear that this licence is NOT required by those using original CDs.

Link:

http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/musicfo...produbcust.aspx

Although they do mention it is for those who have copied their music onto different formats, I feel they have an obligation to make it extremely clear that someone using original CDs DOES NOT REQUIRE IT.

Despite the communications by various people concerning this, no real effort has been made to make this point crystal clear, as it should be.

Feelings, anyone?

Do I have a valid reason for getting huffy over this?

I feel that unless the original CD angle is pushed TO THE SAME DEGREE as the need for the ProDub, some of us are going to experience some unwarranted problems.

It must be appreciated that response time will vary from slow to very s-l-o-w when ever a point is made...simply because it has to be "checked out".

By example, when it was pointed out about the abuse of the licence...couple of weeks to address....but they did.

Example:

MCPS Tom Wella Contacts DJ@ 1st Sept about inaccurate info.

DJ@ replies in under 2 hours and makes a point about inaccurate info circulated back.

Reply From Tom Weller to DJ@ - 15th September (14 days later)

Apologies for the delay in responding to your email. If we receive information regarding ProDub licensees deliberately mis-representing the terms of the ProDub licence we will take the appropriate action as advised by our legal department.

I can't say a lot at this precise time regarding your point but I can assure Andy IT IS in hand. smile icon

Neil Jones has already had this brought to his attention 26th August.

He replied 3rd September:

I also agree that it is in everyone's best interests that we quickly and effectively educate venues and licence holders in the UK about the key terms and scope of the ProDub licence. This is process we have already started, for example, articles will be going into pub and licensed premises magazines this week that provide information on the ProDub licence and clearly point out that entertainers who use vinyl or original CDs will not require one.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Hi Andy

My feelings are very well known on this *coughs*

Venues don't know/don't care about it, inspectors aint going to check venues and if they do how are they going to check whats on my laptop?

Best advice is don't lose any sleep over over I know I'm not

Although they do mention it is for those who have copied their music onto different formats, I feel they have an obligation to make it extremely clear that someone using original CDs DOES NOT REQUIRE IT.

I thought you also didn't need a Pro-Dub if you played the tracks in the original format purchased ? e.g. I could use CDs for part of show and use the laptop to play the legally purchased tracks that way...

David

ps: Dan - love the spotbank pic. I've got two of em :)

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I thought you also didn't need a Pro-Dub if you played the tracks in the original format purchased ? e.g. I could use CDs for part of show and use the laptop to play the legally purchased tracks that way...

David

Apparently the terms of all the download sites state that you are not allowed to play the downloads for commercial gain, so you need to burn them to CDR in order to use them commercially, then if you convert them back to MP3 you need the PDL.

Jim

Dan and the rest of you, thanks for the replies, and thanks for taking the initiative of contacting these people.

Reverandfunk, I'll try not to lose too much sleep over this, but whilst I'm feeling a little angry, I'll relate that I was pondering over purchasing new music via downloads rather than compilation CD, but reckon I'd buy perhaps 200 tracks over the course of a year. £250 for this is a hideouls amount of money - more than doubling the cost of the music.

Oh well - that's another topic... :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently the terms of all the download sites state that you are not allowed to play the downloads for commercial gain, so you need to burn them to CDR in order to use them commercially, then if you convert them back to MP3 you need the PDL.

Jim

That really does beggar belief. I'd love to stand face to face with the moron who invented this and ask them to explain their reasoning.

David

According to the PPL website, you don't need a Pro-Dub licence if you don't copy your legal downloads and play them from the place to which you downloaded them originally, nor do you need one for those same files burned to CD-R.