Photo
- - - - -

Music For the whole gig. Order of events.

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#16 ChrisPointon

ChrisPointon

Forum Owner

• Admin
  • 11,466 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:51 AM

....and don't forget the Electric Slide

???????????????

Mikeee have you been drinking the water which contained your Steradent Tablets again ohmy.gif

Why Buy New - New, Ex-Demo and Graded Disco Equipment at below retail prices

The Glow Factory - Bulk Discounts on Glow Sticks

#17 mikeee

mikeee

Mozart Of The Microphone

• Community Leader
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 04:41 PM

It's American thing, like the Funky Chicken biggrin.gif

In the last couple of years, I have had the privilage to do numous american weddings over here and eh one over there.

The girls from Chicago love thing like the Garter throw and the dollar dance, but in Virgina, well a little more reserved shall we say.

Chris if you get the chance and you are look for a bit of sun and a rest, try Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Late september is good, only 78 at night, and a cool 105 during the day. Marinas and golf course every time you turn around, the old steamer to Savannah, Georgia.
And whilst on the subject, Crabby Nicks is great for food.
..playing all the hits for you...
....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

#18 DJTREV

DJTREV

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 598 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 07:52 AM

What track do you play for the Electric Slide Mikeee?
Its not one I have used at a disco but I play it fairly regularly at modern jive nights.
I use a track called -Easy does it . Its on an album called The Big 18
I think they call it a "stroll" in mod. jive.
By the way Chris how do you put a quote on a post
This is not a rehearsal
This is it - grab it while you can.

#19 ChrisPointon

ChrisPointon

Forum Owner

• Admin
  • 11,466 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 08:00 AM

use [*QUOTE] and [*/QUOTE] - missing out the "*" and simply paste in the text between the two commands.

#20 mikeee

mikeee

Mozart Of The Microphone

• Community Leader
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 09:37 AM

Hi DJTREV,
I use Marcia Griffiths - Electric Slide. And it's not in the Library, before you ask.

#21 The Spindoctor

The Spindoctor

THE FORUM SAGE........ apparently!

• Moderated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 01:48 AM

Mikeee
Being an open minded sort of guy, I just downloaded this Electric Slide thingy had a listen and hmmmmm well its different! LOL biggrin.gif
<marquee>I asked God to be surrounded by beautiful women,</marquee>
He made me a DJ gave me a wife
................. and FOUR daughters!!!

#22 DJTREV

DJTREV

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 09:15 AM

On the question of downloading.Which program do you guys use?I used Audiogalaxy when it was around and I thought it was brilliant- never had any problems. Then I used Kazarr or Winmx but it always seemed that you were lucky if you could finish downloading a track all in one go. Since I had a problem with my PC and lost a lot of my programs, I haven't got a download program.Any suggestions.
1106.gif Talking of downloads.I know its a bit niave of me to expect something for nothing but on the Freeserve site it says"download free music from our library of 170,000 tracks".Well!before you can even join their music club you need Windows Media Player 7.1. It took me nearly all day to do that because I kept getting disconnected before I had finished. Then I found out you had to pay a monthly subscription in order to get the tracks.
Dont get me wrong I am not against paying as long as I get what I want,but it says its FREE and it isn't. 279.gif
Rant over - I think I need to go and lay down in a darkened room.

This is not a rehearsal

#23 mikeee

mikeee

Mozart Of The Microphone

• Community Leader
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 10:14 AM

Hi Spin, Yes it's different, you should hear the Kool & The Gang version. Othr tracks I've been asked for: Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island, Bob Carlisle - Butterfly Kisses.

Trev, As a rule I don't down load, but If I'm after a deleted track I use WinMx.

Ah!!! Freeserve, the music is free, it's the service that costs - not one of my favorite companies, for to much "small print", I think they should be called Atapriceserve (lol)

#24 ChrisPointon

ChrisPointon

Forum Owner

• Admin
  • 11,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 10:49 AM

Trev,

If you use Kazaa, then download the Kazaalite version which is available from Here it's less buggy and free from hidden spyware files which infiltrate your p.c and slow down your downloads as well as play havoc with your p.c.

Again, avoid the use of Windows Media Player since this is Bill Gates own Adware, and the latest version gives your p.c a unique identifier and passes on your i.p address to anything that wants it whilst connected to the net - basically your p.c becomes a mass advertising campaign for anything on the net. Result? - all those pop ups increase and the missus thinks you have been surfing busty bab's website again ohmy.gif

If you do download files, then some virus protection on your p.c is a MUST I recommend Norton Anti Virus. As is a firewall (which prevents your p.c from being hacked - especially if you have P2P applications running). Again I recommend "Zone Alarm", its free and I use it myself along with 2 hardware firewalls and I've never had any problems.

#25 The Spindoctor

The Spindoctor

THE FORUM SAGE........ apparently!

• Moderated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 11:05 AM

I agree with Chris about Kazaa Lite I used to use Napster, then Audiogalaxy cos you could leave it running overnight till you got what you wanted, now i have a 1 Meg Broadband connection courtesy of Blueyonder I use KazaaaLite and it is awesome to download tracks in a couple of minutes.

Ok off to search for the Kool & the Gang version now lol
<marquee>I asked God to be surrounded by beautiful women,</marquee>
He made me a DJ gave me a wife
................. and FOUR daughters!!!

#26 Rushton50

Rushton50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:59 AM

1092.gif I must admit in the 18 years of doing roadshows. I find them still as much a challenge as day 1 and have to say that i prefer the wedding function to most, but if i had a choice of the type i would do. I would choose a pub without a dince floor as it makes it more of a challenge to read the crowd from 1 track to the next.

Weddings i find are a good mix of the ages and taste of music and on very rare occasions you will find that nothing works to get them dancing unless it is modern stuff, but as i said it is very rare.

With refrence to 25 / 50 % of the crowd will dance at a function. I would have to agree, but get the bride and groom on your side and increase the % because they want value for money and you know you are playing good stuff and they will try and get their friends up as well.

Anyway. This site is excellent. Have added to my faves and will come back again later.

#27 jjacob

jjacob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:28 PM

On the subject of audio downloaders..

I have always used WINmx, I couldn't work with Kazzalite/Kazza.

It's so annoying and slow on a 56k, but you can't get everything! huh.gif

#28 kazzachi

kazzachi

Moderating Witch

• Community Leader
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:08 PM

Sorry - but have to disagreewith those who say that club DJ-ing is better paid and more rewarding than mobile - Unless you are of superstar status, most clubs will pay a very paltry sum to resident Jocks - yes there are the benefits that you have not got to set up and pack down heavy gear - but you have to remember, most club DJs will be playing a 9-2am set and apart from the fact that you can be a really good mixer, I dont believe that there is much job satisfaction. Most people who go to clubs actually go to dance anyway - so its not really that challenging. Mobile may be more hard work but is definitely more challenging and a lot more rewarding - both financially and personally.
Having worked professionally (yes - I do this to learn my living and not as a hobby) for 12 years, the advice I would give to anybody starting out is not to expect a booking every week for the first couple of years. Breaking into this business is not easy and it will take time - Remember though - PERSISTANCE PAYS - learn from mistakes in the early days. As long as you have the right attitude and a good knowledge and collection of music, knowing how and when to play - this will get you on the first step. Dont worry if you make mistakes - who hasnt accidentally turned the wrong cd player off! As long as you are polite and enthusiatic people will remember you - they might not ring you straight away, but once people ask for your card they generally keep them - you might not hear from them for two years but you made an impression!
Also never get into the trap that bigger is better - as long as your sound system is adequate for the number of people attending the function and you have a few good light effects you will be ok. I have never got a booking because people remembered what fantastic lights I put in - I get work because they remember the ambience I created and the music I played. It is really worth investing in a good clean sound system - forget spending tons on lights first of all - a crisp clear sound is far more important -
Well I could waffle on all night - but I guess by now you may be bored with reading all this!!
I love my job - when I dont I will get out - but at the moment I am averaging two adult bookings each and every week with 2-3 kids parties - My advice is free and hope it is useful for some of you
WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#29 DJTREV

DJTREV

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:22 PM

Welcome Kazzachi.
I found your advice quite interesting and helpful but I must disagree on one point.
I judge my night on the floor,I cant honestly say I am looking for a challenge.If the floor is busy you must be doing something right.I am afraid I have had too many challenges and lost a few.You just end up driving home feeling thoroughly dejected,wondering if its really worth it and trying to pick yourself up ready for the next one
This is not a rehearsal

#30 mikeee

mikeee

Mozart Of The Microphone

• Community Leader
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:20 AM

Kazzachi, I must agree that being a mobile offers more of a challenge. I did club work during the late 70's early 80's and with in a month I was bored, the same style of music, drop a couple of tracks and add a couple. I found club work very easy, I actually start to sleep on the job. At least with the mobile you get a different type of audience all the time. I lot of DJ's hate wedding's, because with a wedding you have to use your brain. I love them, one minute it's all 60's and 70's the next one, 70's and 80's. You just don't know whats coming next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users