Photo
- - - - -

Music For the whole gig. Order of events.

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#91 Kandi man

Kandi man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:07 AM

Hi,

Just want to say that this thread is bleedin excellant for new djs. Thanks.

#92 bedfordft

bedfordft

Occasional Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(Chris_Pointon @ Feb 4 2003, 09:59 AM) View Post

That comment is so true!. An empty dancefloor often makes the D.J paranoid, thinking that it is something that He / She is doing, or rather not doing, which is keeping the Dancefloor empty!. Experience has taught me that you can play music from every era at a function, and work hard, and still only maintain a hand full of people on the dancefloor at any one time sad.gif some functions are going to be like that, and you just have to get used to it :) .

Having done both resident work in a local club, and run the Gauntlet at all types of Private Functions - I can honestly say that the pub / club work is far more rewarding than Mobile :P . Logically this makes sense, since your "resident" venue will be advertising as a disco and possibly charging an admission fee, and lets face it - you wouldn't go to a club and pay money if you hated music and D.J's!!. So 99% of the punters visiting your club will be out to enjoy themselves.

Private Functions are different - you have Auntie Ethel and Grandma who may not have seen each other for 5 years and all they want to do is gossip. You also have many people who have attended out of politeness or because they have to!. You also have the classic "family war" situtation to contend with also ;), where two or more members of the family do not get on.

Other situations that can also make it difficult to create an atmosphere include the large function room built for 300 people where only 30 guests turn up!, and vice versa - the packed out village hall with 200 people in it - No room to dance - even if they wanted to.

Don't be too surprised if you don't pack the Dancefloor at Private Functions, it does happen, but not very often. At best you can usually expect around 25 - 50% of the Guests on the Dancefloor at any one time.

Just remember that it is still possible for people to enjoy themselves without being on the Dancefloor (I must admit that as a guest I don't dance either!). On a brighter note - some of the gigs that I've thought were a disaster, were rewarded with many guests asking for business cards and a sincere "thank you" from the host or hostess for a "Great Night"!!!. A Strange Business is D.J'ing!!!!!!.

your comment i fear are oh so true i did my own 50th party and could not get many people dancing! it was then pointed out to me that many families only meet at parties so they have a lot to catch up on!!!

as for the dj dancing at parties they attend my word what ever next how would we be able to study the dj his lighting and music, if we were dancing and having a good time. no sorry my bum stays firmly in my seat!!

#93 simonsteph

simonsteph

Occasional Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

All your advice is excellent! I have my first gig at the weekend so i will be reading this thread and looking at all your advice

Thank You
Simon

www.mitchandtitch.co.uk

Like my head hurts but the wife keeps on nagging

#94 Moody Music

Moody Music

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:39 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been a mobile dj for a fair few years, previously with an agency who took far to big a %, and now working and promoting my own set-up. My set-up is digital. Amp, Mixer, Computer, Monitor, Lighting Controller etc is all flight cased in one unit. 3 hard drives currently hold around 45,000 tracks! I carry one cd and here is why:

A few months ago I had the misfortune of setting up my equipment with half an hour to spare. I switched everything on and took ten minutes to deduce that my monitor had completely packed up. Disaster! No spare.

Gig cancelled? No way! I placed one cd into the cd drive, Grandmaster Party 3, it auto played in real player. I then jumped into the car, drove to the nearest 24 hour Asda super store, purchased a 19inch monitor with my credit card and drove back to the venue. I had been gone 45minutes, and I wondered what to expect.

What do you know, the dance floor was packed! I grabbed the mic, did the intoduction bit, and left it playing while I set up the monitor! I was approached by the person who had booked the gig, I think the box and polystyrene, plastic bags etc. was a bit of a giveaway. I explained what had happened.

End result, a fantastic non profit making night, that got me 4 further bookings.

my personal tip for ending the night at any birthday, wedding or family function is to play a 'Dirty Dancing' mix ending with 'I've had the time of my life', a sure fire way to finish on a high and gets all the couples on the dance floor for a slow one.

Andy.

#95 Norfolk DJ

Norfolk DJ

DJU Veteran

• Community Leader
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:55 AM

Hello Andy

I see this is your first posting on here, so welcome to the forum.

It's always a good idea to introduce yourself and tells us a bit about your disco experience. There is an separate introductions thread specificaly for this.

regards

Rob

#96 jukeboxdj

jukeboxdj

Experienced Contributor

• Account Disabled
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(Moody Music @ Mar 16 2008, 04:39 AM) View Post

my personal tip for ending the night at any birthday, wedding or family function is to play a 'Dirty Dancing' mix ending with 'I've had the time of my life', a sure fire way to finish on a high and gets all the couples on the dance floor for a slow one.

Andy.

First hi andy and welcome to dju

i agree with you on the the dirty dancing mix always a floorfiller for me covering all generations

#97 jamesmurphy

jamesmurphy

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 457 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

This is an old thread, going back to 2003 and yets it's very relevant to new djs.

Perhaps we shoould all go back and read some of the old threads as there appears to be some great info in the archives of the site.

#98 dventertainment

dventertainment

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Chris_Pointon @ Feb 4 2003, 09:59 AM) View Post

That comment is so true!. An empty dancefloor often makes the D.J paranoid, thinking that it is something that He / She is doing, or rather not doing, which is keeping the Dancefloor empty!. Experience has taught me that you can play music from every era at a function, and work hard, and still only maintain a hand full of people on the dancefloor at any one time sad.gif some functions are going to be like that, and you just have to get used to it :) .

Having done both resident work in a local club, and run the Gauntlet at all types of Private Functions - I can honestly say that the pub / club work is far more rewarding than Mobile :P . Logically this makes sense, since your "resident" venue will be advertising as a disco and possibly charging an admission fee, and lets face it - you wouldn't go to a club and pay money if you hated music and D.J's!!. So 99% of the punters visiting your club will be out to enjoy themselves.

Private Functions are different - you have Auntie Ethel and Grandma who may not have seen each other for 5 years and all they want to do is gossip. You also have many people who have attended out of politeness or because they have to!. You also have the classic "family war" situtation to contend with also ;), where two or more members of the family do not get on.

Other situations that can also make it difficult to create an atmosphere include the large function room built for 300 people where only 30 guests turn up!, and vice versa - the packed out village hall with 200 people in it - No room to dance - even if they wanted to.

Don't be too surprised if you don't pack the Dancefloor at Private Functions, it does happen, but not very often. At best you can usually expect around 25 - 50% of the Guests on the Dancefloor at any one time.

Just remember that it is still possible for people to enjoy themselves without being on the Dancefloor (I must admit that as a guest I don't dance either!). On a brighter note - some of the gigs that I've thought were a disaster, were rewarded with many guests asking for business cards and a sincere "thank you" from the host or hostess for a "Great Night"!!!. A Strange Business is D.J'ing!!!!!!.

i just want to say that i get this quite a lot, but there isn't any thing more rewarding than at the end of the night when you feel like you should of done a better job than people say things like "that was very good", "i'll have to write you a referance", "i've never seen people on the dance floor all night before". these are just the comments from the last wedding i did which i thought was a flop and just want to pack my stuff away half way through the night!

Peace out
DV Entertainment
35 Hollyford, Billericay, Essex, CM11 1EG

#99 DJTauntonJams

DJTauntonJams

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

this thread has given me so many useful tips!

I have a pretty much infinate data base of music which i update and prune constantly to go with whats currently going on. Also i take time to ask people what they are listening to and lurk on radio websites to get the current vibe.

We're about to do out first gig end of January, for a school reunion! thats been booked and the stuff hasnt got here yet!
Planing plenty of cheese for that night, and reading all these posts have helped immensly!

THHAANNKS!!!
BIG Fish Discos
IPB Image

#100 Lag1Rich

Lag1Rich

Regular Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(jukeboxdj @ Mar 16 2008, 09:36 AM) View Post

First hi andy and welcome to dju

i agree with you on the the dirty dancing mix always a floorfiller for me covering all generations

Ive been after the dirty dancing mix for ages!! Where can I get it from??

Thanks, Rich
Chalet to let - PM me for details!! see here: www.freewebs.com/eastchalet

#101 falcon

falcon

Occasional Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(Lag1Rich @ Jan 7 2009, 09:43 AM) View Post

Ive been after the dirty dancing mix for ages!! Where can I get it from??

Thanks, Rich

Got my copy from Jock in a box set 3 disc 3.
A bit expensive if you only want that track but there are 5 cd's with nearly 300 tracks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users