Dj's United

well thats it really i can remember a time on the forum when they were talk off the town, hmm what happened there then? dose anyone who forked out thousands on them still use them are they standing the tests of time would be interesting to know?

chris.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have these - original L1s - great speakers when used for the right event. :Thumbup: :Thumbup:

But if I want a good, rich bass sound, I'm conventional all the way! :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup:

It still amazes me when you can use one system in a venue - and no one notices!

Or when a couple of ladies are dancing in front and still having a conversation without shouting at one another!

Biggest downside for the L1s are the venues with the low ceilings.

Other than that, they are very nice and no, I don't sleep with mine! :lol:

Still use them, in fact I have today just brought a flightcase for the poles.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Fantastic speaker.

Have had my model 2s nearly a year and love em. Never before have i had so many comments on a speaker system....or a particular piece of my equipment.

And i think the main reason why people dont "talk" about them, is mainly due to the amount of negative and rude comments about the product from people who just dont understand about it.

Had my L1's for getting on a year and haven't used my conventional speakers since. Every gig still brings positive remarks about them and I reckon I've probably made half the cost back already from people booking me because of them.

Downsides lots of pieces to carry in and low ceilings (I always check a new venues ceiling height before taking them).

One thing that really makes them stand out is the ability to set up your rig in so many different ways to suit your needs or look. I recently tried the old uplighting trick with them - it looked great but was a bit of a magnet for the kids. :(

Educating the young in the ways of the old

well looks like the bose still have it!! they are a crackin bit of kit! i remember when steve just got his and very kindly brought they up to our little northwest meeting for a quick demo! brilliant sound but like Dukesy say hes still got the conventional set up when he needs the power, but don't think i'm ready to make the leap yet.

I don't sleep with mine! :lol:

I do tongue out icon

Had mine for over two years now and don't regret the investment - ideal for Ceremonies, Wedding Breakfast and Evening Disco.

have had mine for 18 months - and i still love them.

The original L1's - would have loved the later version but that was one upgrade tooo far.

Very happy with them - a pair almost filled the grosvenor ballroom (3 would have sufficed)

Low ceilings I hate - but then its almost the same problems with the lights - the overhead and the speaker stand to the same heigh.

I've had one amp fail in the base..... but bose were good - send me packaging, picked it up and dropped it off - all in the 2 year warranty.

There are lots of bits to carry though. And uplit the kids love them too much (but it doesnt stop me)

where is the flightcase coming from Mr Harris - and why are you buying one now?

The flightcases are stand flightcases, from Flightcase Warehouse, the L1's fit perfectly.

I have already damaged mine, as I throw stuff about, I am one of those who believes things you buy are for working with, so flightcase everything so I can chuck it about a bit more !

If you want a link/photo call me on 0797 0717 448

Andy

Your Big Event

I've recently started doing pub quizzes. I currently use my normal speakers Mackie 450's. These are fairly weighty although I do carry the pair in to pubs in one go.

I've looked at getting the Rcf 310's, considerably lighter but in many respects similar to 450's. So I've widened my hunt and have considered the Bose L1's. Currently the coffers do not allow me to go a full set of an L1 plus B1 circa £1700.

So, my question is this..... Could I use the L1 on it's own to do the quiz with the only music being played being very low background tracks plus 3 times a night I play the 'bits and pieces' music quiz, this lasts for about 6 minutes each time. Would it sound tinny alone doing the quiz? How would the music sound with no base unit? Give it a couple of months and I'll have the cash to get the B1. :joe:

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

I have never run one of my L1's without a bass unit - but i would be inclined to say yes....

best way would be to try and listen to one as it is a big investment without being sure.

The B1 is the smallest cost in the setup - really can't wait a bit longer?

Saw a dj using them three weeks ago. Still very un-impressed with these PA speakers. Not very "disco" sounding to me.

Everyone has their own idea of sound........ :(

Saw a dj using them three weeks ago. Still very un-impressed with these PA speakers. Not very "disco" sounding to me.

Everyone has their own idea of sound........ :(

So you are saying they'd be no good for running quizzes?

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

I have done functions with just 1 L1 and no bass speakers before many times due to time and space, and customer wishes.

Your Big Event

I can't see why you can't run 1x L1 for a quiz. After all, a quiz is not a 'disco'.

You'll also find you have more output without the B1, but don't just take my word for it - why not borrow one / see if there is a DJ who can provide one for you one night for a quiz?

Like YBE, I've used one all night quite happily. What you have to remember is that this type of speaker is not a conventional speaker. It uses clever technology (linear array).

I personally like a good bass sound hence, my earlier comment. The only thing I've heard from a modern conventional type speaker to give the Bose a good run for the money is the EVZ5s 15-inch, 2-way speakers. Very impressed. Then again, every bodies hearing is different, so best try before you buy.

smile icon

I frequently use an L1 without bass bins for ceremonies. The frequency starts at 100hz if B1s are not connected.

Cheers, there is a supplier (Absolute Music in Poole) not too far away so I think I'll pop in and have a listen.

Thanks again http://planetsmilies.net/music-smiley-1306.gif

On again horses for courses BUT

In my case I have liked this system ever since I first saw it think it was about 4 years ago and it was goal to ge a pair of them which we did in JUNE this year, have to say it was to best investment we have ever made.

The proof when we got the Bose we were taking bookings at normal pace and ticked over quiet happily but some dates were free and some weekends we were totally blank. If we look at this time last year we were doing some thing like 2-3 bookings a month from September till end of December. In the same period this year we have got 25 bookings, averaging 8 bookings per month and we have put our prices up as I now think we very good value for money. Before we were very under priced in my opinion but again horses for courses etc.

You could argue that maybe our name is getting around etc but the only thing that changed is the Bose and the upsurge was about a Month after putting the Bose on our web site. All I can say is that it has certainly worked for us and we are very pleased with it.

To add also we did a gig last night in a marque. 18th. Birthday party playing mainly on the club drum and bass and the Birthday boy was very impressed and could stop thanking us.

This was a last minute booking as the original DJ was a club DJ with no equipment and he was going to charge in excess of £700 and wanted the client to hire the equipment, This meant it would take the cost of the night to over £1000 which she was not prepared to do.

Not only was the client very happy we got tipped as well.

I owned the PAS for over a year and completed well over 200 jobs with them. They aren't an all-round speaker system, even with 8 B1s I found it struggled with over 350 people especially if they were a noisey or young crowd. The problem is the bass, it is very good bass at close quarters but it doesn't travel and its not sub. Another issue I found was the excessive noise when working behind, I got a reading of 109db in front and 103db behind which is unacceptable to me. The L1 does not go down to 100hz either, its 120 raising to 180 when a B1 is detected.

The PAS is a Personal Amplification System, it was never intended to be used by DJs, the idea being that each band member would turn up with their own PAS and depending on the range of their voice and/or the frequency response of their particular instrument is how many B1s they would use. The advantages being that each band member could hear each other, they can achieve a good mix resonably easily using the R1 thus doing away with a big system and monitors. There are curves pre-loaded on pre-sets for most common instruments and its pretty simple to write ones own and load it onto the PAS.

I often find myself doing a Wedding in a nice venue for 100 people and the next night doing a student night for 1,600 at MMU. I don't have room in my van to carry 2 systems and am often too knackered or don't have time to load up something different so I sold mine and bought a lightweight JBL PRX system which is a genuine tool for all jobs.

The PAS is a Personal Amplification System, it was never intended to be used by DJs, the idea being that each band member would turn up with their own PAS and depending on the range of their voice and/or the frequency response of their particular instrument is how many B1s they would use. The advantages being that each band member could hear each other, they can achieve a good mix resonably easily using the R1 thus doing away with a big system and monitors. There are curves pre-loaded on pre-sets for most common instruments and its pretty simple to write ones own and load it onto the PAS.

OOH!! You be careful there, I made this exact point two years ago and was almost cremated for saying such a thing!!! tongue out icon

And I agreed with you, the fact is, it is not a good all-round speaker, ideal for conferences and weddings, which is all I do.

Your Big Event

I hope anyone doesn't misunderstand...I wasn't Bose Bashing, it does have its uses apart from a hat stand :D

If I could afford to keep the PAS as well or had enough room in my van or could be bothered to keep swapping and changing what I carry I would have the PAS for smaller Weddings and seramonies and the JBLs for the larger functions that need more of a thump.

I know lots of DJs witht the PAS but very few with no other PA system or at least some decent bins they can add to it.

well looks like the bose still have it!! they are a crackin bit of kit! i remember when steve just got his and very kindly brought they up to our little northwest meeting for a quick demo! brilliant sound but like Dukesy say hes still got the conventional set up when he needs the power, but don't think i'm ready to make the leap yet.

And now I have sold them! I hated them! I now use Martin Audio Blackline plus.. Well better sound IMO.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

And now I have sold them! I hated them! I now use Martin Audio Blackline plus.. Well better sound IMO.

:ads: Didn't we chat about this when you were considering buying them???? :ads:

:ads: Didn't we chat about this when you were considering buying them???? :ads:

A "told you so" is in the air.

I wasnt impressed with the power of them in the demo room but clarity was good,funny how they always put ambient music on the demo,s so it sounds clear.Love to hear a rock demo with lots of different things going on.

Paul