Dj's United

So, as per previous post, you have secured the local hotel for £150 per night, after reducing your fee by £30.

The hotel charge the 'resident' DJ out at £250, hence 'make £100 on your services.

What do you do about it ?

TOPIC MOVED

Edited by Abuse Controller

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

What is there to do about it?. Obviously i'm aware of what they are doing as your post suggests knowledge of the facts. Working for £150 and reducing my fee by £30 were all voluntary actions made by myself and so I must have agreed to it, and be happy with it otherwise i'd have gone my own way and negotiated something better, or indeed refused the work and found something else.

Deejays will probably discuss the ethics of this for the next few decades, but I agree that its pretty much the norm for some hotels to do this, and there is no law against it. If you are happy to work on this basis then great, if not then the onus is on you to better your lot and find something else.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

keep my head down and be happy with the agreed price

bear in mind though that if you are approached directly, you could undercut the hotel? Theres a local hotel that charges clients 350, yet pays the DJ 120. When we get random calls for quotes, anything 300 or below is usually acceptable!

So, as per previous post, you have secured the local hotel for £150 per night, after reducing your fee by £30.

The hotel charge the 'resident' DJ out at £250, hence 'make £100 on your services.

What do you do about it ?

7 nights of work - absolutely nothing. tongue out icon

If I had agreed those terms, then that is it.

HOWEVER: I would not accept those terms. I don't mind anyone making a reasonable mark up on my services, but that is too much. I would have stuck to the (too low) £180 quote and taken the work. What exactly do the hotel do for their £100???

Give them a maximum of 25%, ie £62.50 per booking, you are left with £187.50 Doesn't that sound better??

I would make sure I was made aware of the mark-up before accepting the booking, and in this instance would probably have declined - it would depend on my current rate of work.

The problem I'd have is that I set my price pretty much on what I offer, and I would feel that once the hotel had added such a surcharge the client would not be getting a disco or DJ befitting the price.

If I were to compare two discos, one at £150 and another at £250, I would expect there to be a world of difference.

If I were to compare two discos, one at £150 and another at £250, I would expect there to be a world of difference.

And not just a £100 mark up for the hotel!!! :rolleyes: