Dj's United

Looking at a set of Active Speakers to purchase, always known Mackie to be pretty decent but havent had a set before.

I am looking at the following...

Mackie SR1521Z Active Speaker

Mackie SRM450 Active Speaker

Want something decent enough to fill a medium sized hall that arent huge and not too heavy to lift, my current speakers are a nuisance!

Or any other speakers I should consider for the £700-800 pair Mark?

Cheers

Liscio

Liscio Discotheques

60s - Current In Surrey & Home Counties

www.liscio.co.uk

Hi

I've used mackie srm 450's for 2 years now. They are an excellent speaker and will cater for small/medium sized venues well. If you are playing in medium venues/larger venues with an audience of more than 150 you will need one sub.

I have S215s and S218s. Even Passive they're quite heavy but they're very big speakers and sound great. And I really do mean great, get lots of comments on the sound.

They do a 15" active cab for around £850 a pair which get a big thumbs up from me.

Edited by D.X

Looking at a set of Active Speakers to purchase, always known Mackie to be pretty decent but havent had a set before.

I am looking at the following...

Mackie SR1521Z Active Speaker

Mackie SRM450 Active Speaker

Want something decent enough to fill a medium sized hall that arent huge and not too heavy to lift, my current speakers are a nuisance!

Or any other speakers I should consider for the £700-800 pair Mark?

Cheers

Liscio

The 1521's are far superior to the 450's in every aspect apart from size / weight, if you don't mind bigger heavier cabs the 1521 is the one to go for, I personally would go for the SA1521 over the SR 1521 and try to get a pair of well looked after Italian made cabs over the Chinese 'z' version. THe last pair of SA1521's I bought cost me aprox £700 (S/H) and were in excellent condition.

New Site Clouds Disco

Personally I don't like Mackey...I know the 450s are the best selling active 12s world wide but I still don't like them. I find the American style harsh and extremely directional top end offensive to the ears.

Slightly more money but if you can manage it listen to the RCF and DAS equivalent...The DAS DA12As are IMO a bit special and the RCF with the uprated larger horns are very nice too.

I used Mackie for 2 years.. They did a job.. Yes there are better about never the less you can do a lot worse.

I also used the bins with the srm450`s. I didn`t like them on there own, however they sounded decent with the bins.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

The Mackie are brilliant build quality, I would say arguably better than the rcf though the rcf sound a little sweeter to the UK ear. The JBL EONS are also great quality but also sound bright and vocal rather than bassy, depends how you like your sound.

Alot of these powered, moulded, highly portable speakers are voiced for musicians and vocalists and no doubt why they're voiced this way. If you're after a nightclub sound then go for nightclub speakers..but some with handles!!

I don't find my S215s harsh at all. They're crystal clear even at high volumes and I never get ear ache. Get lots of positive comments about the sound too.

I've had my Mackie set up 2 x450s and 2 x1501s for a couple of months now. I bought them s/h and was a bit worried about all that thermal stuff you read, but I can honestly say I'm well satisfied with them (in fact last month I bought another pair of s/h 450s and a 1500 sub for a very reasonable price...so I now have 3 subs and 4 450's...not that I expect to ever use em all at once.

I use em for my band, having virtually hung up my turntables, and the compliments I get about the sound are amazing. More or less everytime I use em somebody says they sound good. They may very well sound 'harsh' ...in an empty room, but when the room is full they really cut through...besides which you can use eq...thats what its for. I haven't heard the mk2 versions, but the mk1's seem amazingly good value for money these days.

Just set all the settings as described in the manual, and they rock!

The subs are slightly heavy...a two man lift is required if you're gonna carry them any distance, but they are good. I've had loads of speakers over the years, HZ, JBL Eons, and EV/Dynacord combinations (to name but a few), but the Mackies just seem to have that sparkle...not necessarily the most accurate or audiophile or pro sound, whatever...but that certain something that sounds 'good'.

I've had my Mackie set up 2 x450s and 2 x1501s for a couple of months now. I bought them s/h and was a bit worried about all that thermal stuff you read, but I can honestly say I'm well satisfied with them

Nearly the same as me......I think I have had mine close to 6 months now though, and like you I bought them second hand.

I cant fault them, they have been faultless.

And I get many compliments about the sound quality, from customers.

Personally I don't like Mackey...I know the 450s are the best selling active 12s world wide but I still don't like them. I find the American style harsh and extremely directional top end offensive to the ears.

Probably all down to personal taste then isnt it, but all the DJs who swear by Mackie cant all be wrong can they.