Dj's United

Another 'would You Walk' Scenario

Cos the TAXMAN Is always right behind you.

And MANCHESTER UNITED normally in front of you (and Chelsea and Arsenal)

NOT AT THE PRESENT

YNWA

Taxi drivers don't give free rides,

In fairness a few people have said this, so DX this isn't getting at you :djuhi: .

Well years ago, I was told that on quiet nights you could negotiate a price with taxi drivers rather than be on the meter. I tried it and it worked several times, so it's not strictly true that taxis don't do freebies.

I'm really interested in this topic though because I've done a few 'favours' and got a lot more back in return. A little when DJing and a lot in other work and businesses.

As well as DJing I also do other work through my own company. My partner has always been an advocate of doing favours for people. It's worked for us and we celebrated 10 years of incorporation yesterday.

It depends on the situation but sometimes it's worth doing a little bit extra for free but not as a permanent arrangement.

Matt

________

Matt McC

Well years ago, I was told that on quiet nights you could negotiate a price with taxi drivers rather than be on the meter. I tried it and it worked several times, so it's not strictly true that taxis don't do freebies.

Cheaper isn't the same as free though. He offered you a cheaper price because at that time business was quiet. At 11pm in a club, business isn't quiet. Get in a taxi at 11pm on a Saturday night, demand a totally free ride then say he's out of order if he refuses.

I can just imagine the response tongue out icon

I'm not saying don't do freebies. I do charity gigs for the children's charity Tommy's and don't charge a penny. That's my choice though. If an agent of the charity rang me up and demanded I do a gig for them for free and said I'm out of order if I say no then I'd tell them to get lost.

And why should anyone work for free, I don't understand it. The club obviously needed a DJ and they would've had to have paid the regular DJ so why not pay someone else. Ask a manager of a club to pay you double for a gig, you know, as a favour like, see what they say.

Ask a manager of a club to pay you double for a gig, you know, as a favour like, see what they say.

lol good point or better still ask the following week if you can leave an hour earlier as a favour but still getpaid the same.... Can any one guess the answer?

Nik

I tend to do freebies if any of the kids football teams at our club (or indeed the club itself) hold a fundraiser. It does come back and bite me on the ar$e now and then, though. Take this Friday, for instance. It's long been taken as read that I will DJ the club Halloween party - a fancy dress do that is a massive hit EVERY year and it enjoyed by the kids and adults alike, plus it provides a great night's takings for the club on what would otherwise be a very quiet night.

I've turned down TWO paid jobs at other clubs in order to fulfil this commitment. I must be mad! :omg: :ouch:

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

It depends on how you look at free....

Rather than working 11-12 free, then 12-2.30 for £xx, look at it as 11-2.30 for £xx.

I used to regularly haggle with taxi drivers for a discount on friday nights at 2am and 9 times out of 10 got a discount.

However I would have only done the 11-12 once without regular pay.

Food for thought, if you had done it that once you may have now had an extra couple of nights a week, but almost certainly an extra hour paid every week.

Jim

I tend to do freebies if any of the kids football teams at our club (or indeed the club itself) hold a fundraiser. It does come back and bite me on the ar$e now and then, though. Take this Friday, for instance. It's long been taken as read that I will DJ the club Halloween party - a fancy dress do that is a massive hit EVERY year and it enjoyed by the kids and adults alike, plus it provides a great night's takings for the club on what would otherwise be a very quiet night.

I've turned down TWO paid jobs at other clubs in order to fulfil this commitment. I must be mad! :omg: :ouch:

I hope you make the most of it - i.e. leaving your cards of tables and plenty of pictures for your website!

If its always a good night, you should be able to pick up from extra work off the back of it.

Jason

The only problem with what you suggest Jason is that being at our own clubhouse, everybody at the party invariably knows me and what I do anyway so advertising my services will be a bit of a fruitless task. I could definitely see the benefits of doing it at any other place, though.

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk