Dj's United

hi all hope you are all well.

Im after some advice about what you think is best pro's/con's etc...... of a passive system and an active system.

i am in two minds what to get.

i am thinking passive as you can add to it for different function sizes but then i think well i could just get an active system and add to that for bigger functions?

opinions please also systems you may think are worth a look at.

i have between 1.5k/2k to spend.

Personally I have all active systems. I have a total of 24 cabs and would not go back. I like the fact that I can add extra sound on without having to worry about matching impedances.

My tip, avoid cheaper speakers and save for the better stuff, worth it in terms of sound and reliability.

What are you currently using and what are you thinking of buying?

Active all the way, I only have 5 active set up, but am looking at some 8" re-inforcemnent speaker, again active.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Ime thinking of going down the active route in january currently looking at LD Systems as ive heard them at bpm and they sound pretty good. Loaded with eminence drivers and B & O amplifiers so will have my behringer tops and bins for sale and also my behringer and ecler amps for sale, as well as a behringer crossover and enhancer.

Alan

STROBE DISCO SHOW

01782 713277

07802 489555

So you liked Behringer Alan ?

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

i am using a combination of active and passive. i have a waudio gig rig 1000 and a 1000w speaker and amp set. they sound nice together but i am finding it hard to get the very best out of the system as the passive tops put out more bass than the tops on the active system. so i am going to stick with one or the other.

So you liked Behringer Alan ?

Ive used them for about 18months and found them to be excellent value for money with good sound quality and very punchy bass. Ime not getting any younger so want to get rid of the heavy amp racks.

Alan

STROBE DISCO SHOW

01782 713277

07802 489555

For £2k you can get the new Active JBL PRX535s. They're 650w per cab and are 3 way with a 15" sub, 6.5" mid and 1.5" high. They amazingly light as well for what you get. They're only 3kg heavier than my passive Mackie S215s. Had a good look round them last week but didn't get to hear them though reviews say they're very good.

Will definitely be checking them out more when I come to upgrade. And as a passive system user my advice would be to go active but that's just my personal opinion.

Edited by D.X

I've always been a passive man but will probably be going active in the future.

There used to be reliability problems with actives and they were heavier than passives but thats not the case anymore.

Actives take up less room than passives and means less trips to carry gear in because you don't have to worry about amp racks.

They often sound better than the equivalent passive because they don't have a passive crossover in them. Passive crossovers can absorb up to 20% of the power as well as change their characteristics under load (the actual crossover point can change under load).

Its true that if one fails, you effectively loose the amp and speaker but you could get a spare one for back up just like you would carry a spare amp/passive speaker.

The funny thing is, I don't know how you would class mine! I've got Bose and the speaker sections fit into a base that houses the amp. You cannot use the speakers without the base but the speakers are not powered! D'OH my brain hurts!

One thing is though I love them.

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

I went over to actives a year or so ago and I would never go back, I started off with Wharfedale 15'' upgraded to JBL's and then on up to Ohm BR series pro kit (which I thought was fantastic) and then on to Mackie 'Super Actives', they're big and they're heavy but they do sound absolutley awesome. It all depends on the size and type of gigs you do really and if you have a roadie or not tongue out icon If I was starting again I'd get a pair of sa1530's, a pair of swa1801 Subs plus a pair of 450's for the little gigs and those up fire exits :D you could take on pretty much anything up to a 6-700 dance event or even bigger for a general party. You could get very good S/H ones for £2000 - £2300 for the lot, if you have time to watch and wait for them to come along.

New Site Clouds Disco

I've always used active.....purely because i didn't want the extra weight of an amp in my rack (its heavy enough as it is). I use LEM D400 tops and bass bins. For a small room the tops sound sweet on their own (they have a setting for using without subs). For a big venue the full set of 4 can really cut the mustard. They are heavier than passive speakers....but if i can lift them (5'6 tall and 8 1/2 stone) any one can!

Sandy

Blonde dizzy and no longer available

For £2k you can get the new Active JBL PRX535s

If you go for JBL its best to listen to them first as they have a rather particular sound..ie bright and brassy. Some people love them and they're certainly powerful, be prepared to EQ them if you like a warmer sound!

Active .. was in the same situaion a while ago looking to spend around about the same - went for the mackie SA1521 and never looked back. Bought four tops placeded them on top of each other - savage. Also have the bass bin's so you can make a serious stack. The great thing if one speaker goes your still left with another - this did happen to me once and some music is better than no music. The only down size is that their heavy.