Dj's United

Looking To Go Techno

Me and a Mate have been talking about getting into the techno scene

I have been looking at reviews and was thinking about buildng the following set up....

2x Pioneer CDJ-400

(Would Be Interested in up Grading To Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3's)

A Pair Of Skull Candy Ti's Each

1x Behringer DDM4000

2x 500W 15-Inch Loudspeaker

is this a sensible set up?

DJ equipment is oh so personal!

Always try before you buy or you may end up disappointed!

I personally wouldn't use that mixer with those choice of decks. Why not consider the Ecler HAK 380, Pioneer DJM 600, Rane TTM56 or the Denon DNX-900?

Again, speakers are personal -always try to have a listen - have a look at these - including delivery - £329.00!

the weak link there is the mixer, why spend upto £1500 on top of the range Pioneers to use a behringer mixer? Stick to Pioneer, Denon or even a very high end Numark

also would need to know more about the speakers, there are 500w 15" speakers and then there are 500w 15" speakers, see the difference?

I have been looking at reviews and was thinking about buildng the following set up....

2x Pioneer CDJ-400

1x Behringer DDM4000

The mixer is the weakest link - would you buy a Lambourgini and fit an mini engine in it?

Speakers try before you buy - Powered - Unpowered - there is a lot of choice but remember always buy the best you can afford.

As for all equipment you really should try before you buy....would you buy a care before you have had a test drive and also reviews give a good guide but it is all from the person that gave the review.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

On the mixer front, if you're going to splurge a large chunk of cash on a decent mixer then have a look at the offerings from Ecler (Nuo, Evo or if you're feeling very posh the SCLAT) Rane or Formula Sound. Rock solid and reliable although not quite as 'high street' as the other suggestions, they are quality kit. At a price mind.... Allan & Heath may also be worth a look although I'm not a fan of them and the build isn't everything it should be for the money (imo)

edit: just noticed Dukesy mentioned some of them, that'll teach me for skim reading threads....

Edited by norty303

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

2x Pioneer CDJ-400

1x Behringer DDM4000

Hi

Like has already been said equipment is a very personal thing. In my opinion don't rule out the mixer. For the money it's a decent mixer (and there's a lot of snobbery against Behringer mixers). I posted a small review of it compared to a DJM800 here http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showto...&hl=ddm4000

I'm not saying that you should definitely get the DDM4000 but don't rule it out.

Also, check out you tube for examples of it, especially being used for techno.

If you can afford it get something like the DJM800 but if you are interested in a lower priced way in then the DDM4000 is fine.

Cheers

Matt

________

Matt McC

Where exactly do you want to fit into the Techno scene ?

If you want to play in clubs you won't be needing 500w PA speakers just to practice at home. If you want to go mobile then I'm unsure how much call there is for mobile Techno DJs. Not much I would've thought.

Yeah, to echo the above, I'm not sure how the equipment choice has anything to do with the techno scene specifically.

I've been involved in the techno scene since 1992 from free/squat parties to more commercial events providing PA and rider equipment for some of the bigger names on the underground techno scene. From experience I can say that for the most part DJ riders specify a good quality Pioneer CDJ (400's probably come into that category although its mainly CDJ1000's - other brands don't seem to get a look in) and I've still got DJM600's that are accepted, although they now tend to be the 800's specced. Sound guys don't tend to like them, DJ's do....

However a lot of the bigger UK sound sytems that do techno as their staple diet tend to go for the Eclers and Ranes due to their durability and good sound quality. when you're amplifying the signal significantly through a big PA, the mixer is a critical link. But then you're unlikely to be using your own kit in those scenarios.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum