Dj's United

What Type Of Dj Are You?

How do you class yourself  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

D.X

You are a kindred spirit!!

The public can't parody us if we are not saying anything??

Wise words mate, you're not wrong there! Let's rock! Shabba!

:bouncy:

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

Wise words mate, you're not wrong there! Let's rock! Shabba!

:bouncy:

There's a DJ near me who loves going Woop Woop over tracks. It just sounds so cheesy and naff :protest:

Edited by D.X

There's a DJ near me who loves going Woop Woop over tracks. It just sounds so cheesy and naff :protest:

I totally deny the allegation :devil:

I don´t live anywhere near you :bouncy:

Jim

Hi all

The client do not pay for you to talk all the time. My clients pay to injoy themself not listen to talk all the time. I want them on the dance floor all night...........you talk thay go to the bar.

I hate dj that talk all the time drives me nuts> I pay for the music not a dj that likes his / her voice

andy

A DJ IS NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS HE'S FOR LIFE

www.bpmdiscos.co.uk

we are here only for the music

Hi all

The client do not pay for you to talk all the time. My clients pay to injoy themself not listen to talk all the time. I want them on the dance floor all night...........you talk thay go to the bar.

I hate dj that talk all the time drives me nuts> I pay for the music not a dj that likes his / her voice

andy

Then dont you just become a jukebox or an ipod DJ?

Nik

Nik

The jukebox thing has become a bit of a cliché I think. Jukeboxes don't come supplied with a PA and Lighting System and iPods can't react to what's going on on the dance floor, they just play a preselected mix of tracks with no thought to whether the mix sounds good or not. 10 seconds before the end they cross fade whether the track is still in full flow or not.

You don't need to talk to justify your being there. Everything else you did justifies your existence. Travelling, setting up the equipment, conversing with the venue and client, ensuring everyone is hearing the music they want to hear etc etc.

By saying we're just jukeboxes we're playing along with the public perception of DJ work being easy and that we just turn up and hey presto, our equipment is set up and we just press a few buttons all night.

Just my thoughts smile icon

By saying we're just jukeboxes we're playing along with the public perception of DJ work being easy and that we just turn up and hey presto, our equipment is set up and we just press a few buttons all night.

Just my thoughts smile icon

Interesting points and I agree with them.. BUT! it is the public perception we have to deal with day in day out. I know some of us work hard to change this perception but it is an up hill battle and you have to work within your market. Sadly that market for the main is DJs dont do much lol....

Nik

Edited by UKHero

I voted for: Only ever announce the buffet or dedication...

Can't stand talking over the music. Also I'm still not that good at speaking with a mic.

I can't wait till I do the hosting/announcements for a summer fair coming up in July.. :D

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I use the mic whenever I have anything interesting to say, simple as that really. I can't see the point of not using a mic whatsoever, its there to project yourself & your personality. If I booked a DJ for a function and he just stood there playing music I'd be pretty disappointed!!

I like to even get out amongst the audience towards the end of a buffet if they seem an up for it crowd. You can usually judge someone in the crowd who is a bit of a character and have a joke or something with them.

On the otherhand I don't see the point in overdoing things by announcing every track. There is such a thing as overkill.

Hi all

If the public dont know there communards from there pink then thay should get out more. Thay don't need me to tell them. I don't whant hear a dj gabbing on over evary track. I want to dance not to be stopped listening to a dj that likes his/her own voice.... If you whant a dj to gabb on and on than put the radio on

thats all i have to say on it. We are all different

djshyboy

ps forgot to say. I do say things like buffet or dedication... taxi bride & groom. But i stop at saying evary dame track . I don't like the sound of my dame voice

djshyboy

A DJ IS NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS HE'S FOR LIFE

www.bpmdiscos.co.uk

we are here only for the music

• 1 month later...

Nik

One of the places I work has just had a Jukebox instlled.I accidentally unplugged it when I was setting up.When I plugged it again it was obvious it was a computer as it went through the same start routine as my laptop.

Don't panic....I'm known for being behind the times.Isthat how most of them are now??I realise they don't go and grab a record like in the 60's.....but I thought they were still CDS.

I think CDs are limited to the type that has "pages" that flip when you press the buttons, and they just need to replace a little card with the track listing when they put a new CD in.

I'd expect all the touch screen versions to be electronic (mp3, wav, etc..)

Jim

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm litle bit late to this discussion, but for what it's worth.

I went for the middle ground, usually doing a little every few tracks.

I agree with the comments that the younger generation want you to shut up

and play :spin:

I'm not the greatest orator in any case, so this suits me fine.

However, there are times when some encouragement is needed to get bums off seats.

I'm not great at getting into the audience, but my trick is to watch the crowd over the first couple

of hours and you can usually spot to joker, ego maniacs, "chair-dancers", etc. a mile off.

So I usually encourage them to show us all what they can do, which in turn drags others

along with them.

I also do the announcements: buffet open, last orders, etc.

I don't think there is ever a time when you can stay mute for the whole evening????

:dukesy:

Kev

• 1 month later...