Dj's United

I am sure this is probably too late for most of you to read now but...

I have just been to set up at my venue for tonight and have been told by them that they have had a call from the PRS today telling them of their intention to make a visit tonight and observe me.

THis is one of three things..

1. The real McCoy

2. A wind up

3. Someone is trying to drop me in the poo!!!

Fortunately, I am fully legal.

Will be interesting to see what the visit involves though.

Just thought it was worth letting people know in case this is a big push by the PRS this evening.

So thurns out, it was the real McCoy.

The man from the PRS was there when I arrived.

Very nice chap who had travelled all the way from Leeds.

I was expecting a thorough search of my CD collection and hard drive, but it was not to be.

He told me that he was there to note down a list of all the tracks I played to make sure that the PRS were distributing royalties out accordingly.

I am not sure how wholly true that is as I did notice he was taking a very keen interest in my CDs and what I was playing from my hard drive throughout the night.

Give him his due though, he was probably the most knowledgeable guy on music and DJing I have ever met and he stayed with me until 5 minutes before I finished at 12.30.

Apparently, this is something that the PRS regularly do. They get a list of venues and they then choose which ones they want to go to.

Allso the venue was a fire station did not know if thay had a licence thay do may be 2 or more a year

djshyboy

A DJ IS NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS HE'S FOR LIFE

www.bpmdiscos.co.uk

we are here only for the music

DJ gets advance warning, same as the venue. Venues generally do know when they are likely to be visited.

PRS don't really give a hoot about what media DJ's are using, and are just there to log the music played.

The PRS know full well that they don't have any powers to inspect the DJ's personal belongings. They know the boundaries and stick by them.

I've never heard of it happening at a private function.

Tip: If content is pasted from elsewhere, please can you add the quotes either side of the content:

[quote][/quote]add the content here

It saves duplicate content being read by the web-bots.

not exactly news, PRS inspectors have been making periodic inspections to venues back even in the days of vinyl. There is a blog somewhere on the internet authored by one such inspector, makes interesting reading, the link was posted here some time ago.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

My mate who has been singing since the mid nineties has only had this happen to him once. Even then they just jotted down what he sang. Nothing to worry about I don't think.

http://davesmusictank.livejournal.com/tag/beer

The actual blog of a real live PRS inspector. Seems they use the services of undercover 'mystery shopper' style inspectors, who just arrive into a venue incognito and monitor the music whether it be DJ or Jukebox.

An interesting read, into the dark underworld!

The PRS are probably just as interested in whether the venue possesses an adequate entertainments license to cover the level of entertainment in use.

I still can't believe the PRS are doing factories and work places for having radios playing on the shopfloor. You wouldn't catch your breath.

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

* Feb. 19th, 2008 at 7:31 AM

beckett thoughts

Yesterday evening a PRS visit to the County Oak Pub in deeepest Patcham to do a jukebox survey - jotting down what is being played on a didital jubebox for 2 hours. Not a bad job and having a pint of Harveys Best at the same time

A nice PRS vist to the Wellington pub this late morning to see what was being played on the jukebox - nowt all 2 hours if it wasn't for me putting on eight tracks from the digital jukebox. Full of old men otherwise! Two pints of Harveys best as well.

to quote his blog comment, "not a bad job" - and it sure isn't. Not many employers would let you have a drink or two whilst carrying out your role.

I still can't believe the PRS are doing factories and work places for having radios playing on the shopfloor. You wouldn't catch your breath.

Well they are. I think even Kwik-Fit got fined for not having a license last year, but its not just the big boys they are targeting but also the small businesses, hairdressers, garage mechanics, even B&B owners if they play a radio in their premises or offer one in guests rooms. The FSB were compaigning about it last summer but don't think they made much ground.

I think a lot of workplaces have paid the £250 or so, however others have issued a no radio rule to their workforce, no doubt making their jobs even more miserable and mundane than normal. As the recession bites and more and more businesses are forced to consider cutting back on needless spending, I wonder how many more businesses will not be renewing their licenses this year and instead opting to remove the radio and all music from their workplaces. Welcome to the Victorian England of 2009.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'