Dj's United

What Do The Clients Want From A Mobile Disco In The 21st Century?

What do your clients want from your mobile disco these days?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for all of the above. Clients are unique animals, in that every one is different, sometimes often with differing requirements.

In the last few months alone, i've had clients requesting a colour-matched theme, ie pink chaircovers, pink tableware, pink candles, pink marquee interior, pink uplighters and even wanted pink disco lighting. I've had one or two during the last year wanting a lot of lighting, and the majority who don't seem to give a stuff about (disco) lighting at all or put it in any relevant order of importance - the 'just bring what you normally would' devil may care attitude & reply.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

No but they did have a pink fluffy dice in their car. Perhaps I should have heeded the early warning.

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I think what a client is looking for with a disco is a proffessionally run and trusted outfit.Someone who Knows the game and delivers a great night without any worries.the less stress for a punter the better.As they say on Ebay...smooth transaction.

jeezz a serious post from me for a change.

a good time and good service, equipment wise they dont care i could count on one hand the amount of clients who actually ask about the sound and lighting side of things and those who have are usually people who have been in bands or ex dj and i can count on one finger the amount who have asked do you have pli or pat, all they want is for you to turn up and do a good job on the night.

07843106107 mobile

01752-296680 office

equipment wise they dont care i could count on one hand the amount of clients who actually ask about the sound and lighting side of things and those who have are usually people who have been in bands or ex dj and i can count on one finger the amount who have asked do you have pli or pat, all they want is for you to turn up and do a good job on the night.

I agree. Its like asking and taking an interest in what type of wool your Grandmother uses to knit with, where she buys it from and what type and spec of needles she uses. This information may be of great interest to her, and of full scale, and often emotive debate amongst other like minded pensioners down at the W.I knitting circle, and no doubt Doris and Ethel both come to verbal blows now and again because Doris uses one type of wool and Ethel uses another and both think there choice of wool is the better...............

But to any outsider beyond the Doris and Ethel examples its probably of no interest whatseover. As long as the Knitwear is functional, does its job and looks nice to the wearer, that is where the interest in knitting ends....the jumper is probably only going to be worn the once anyway.

Edited by McCardle

I agree with the point that moat are not interested in detailed information about the equipment used and whilst I ticked the not bothered box on lighting, it would be more truthful to say that most of my clients rely on my judgement with regards to lighting and mix of music which would include their playlist, guest requests and my input.

Most of my clients are looking for a DJ that they can trust to do the job and give them peace of mind so that they can have a worry free event.

That said I do take all of their requirements on board and do also have clients that do have a very strong idea of what they want as well as the many that "just want a great party".

Edited by Paul Forsyth

Paul Forsyth

The DJ formally known as Vinnie

The amount of times I read that "people don't care what equipment you have"

Although they are not interested in specific names on kit (joe public as a rule),some corporate clients most certainly will,and all clients will most certainly care if it looks and sounds good.

Wether you use retro or up to date lighting/sound equipment as long as it meets your clients requirements,surely that is the point!!!

Going back a year or so now, another local DJ set his gear up for a private party in the club where I operate. All I heard from him for two hours before he started were "my lightshow" this and "my lightshow" that and "my lightshow is the best set up in the midlands" and "you're lightshow isn't even half as good as mine" - he didn't even know what lights I have. To put it mildly he delighted in being an extremely annoying little [willy waver] who obviously hadn't been DJing long and had built a lightshow to try and detract from the quality of his DJing and his Cd collection which consisted of, errr.....Scooter!

When he actually started playing......well, the less said about that, the better I think.

Needless to say, I would estimate a good 70% of the clientele that night probably couldn't give a stuff about the lightshow because the sound quality was poor, the track were badly mixed (4/5 second gaps between tracks?) and the music selection was so one-dimensional.

The music is everything - that is what DJing is all about in my opinion. The lighting and the equipment you use is of secondary importance to your primary role of choosing and manipulating music to suit the taste of the audience in front of you.

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

Choosing the right music is obviously important.

However my comments were about equipment used and I can again say

that if you turned up to a function room which seated 500 plus for a corporate client where you had to use your own sound/lighting equipment,then using substandard/inappropriate kit would certainly lose you the job next time,irrespective of what music you played.

you only have to branch out into the dry hire business to witness how much (or rather little) clients care about a 'rig' (even when they'll be the ones using it) :(

"They extra lighting will cost me HOWWWWWWW, much??, no we'll just manage with the basic hire package thanks"

but that is not what i was talking about is it!

I don't know, my Crystal Ball was inadequate and has gone back to Argos :aa

Edited by McCardle

I think an option missing from the 1st poll is 'My client wants subtle lighting'.

I'm finding this more and more as a choosen option (when offered). OK I'm talking about weddings only, but I find that clients don't want themselves or their guests to be blinded with flashing lights (or deafened or choked either).

Surely it varies from client to client... Is this not what the pro DJ does? We try to tailor the gig to there requirements, Some want big and brash others want small and subtle.

Nik

True.

And some don't know what they want!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a meeting with a potential client, We spent an hour going through what we had to offer the Bride and her parents chose : -

Marquee 40 x 20 , 12 tables (Excluding Top Table) 130 dressed chairs, Carpet to suit, 24 Uplighters,black and white dance floor 20 x 25, Disco, Band and 80Kva generator.

I stated that I would put the quote together and it would be ready by Tuesday. The Brides dad said that that was too long to wait so i gave them a ball park figure to be told that the budget was £1200 as there was a credit crunch.

So for me they want it all for nothing.

I said sorry that I wouldn't be able to quote with that budget and congratulations and good luck.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

I said sorry that I wouldn't be able to quote with that budget and congratulations and good luck.

unfortunately the 'far east manufactured' mentality is now slowly creeping from the goods market into the service industry as well.

People now seem to shop on price more than they've ever done and simply want the most features at the lowest possible prices and the same principles which apply when shopping for a LCD TV or car insurance is now arriving on our doorstep.

The plague is everywhere - cheap insurance, cheap supermarkets, cheap car finance, cheap laser eye care. Entire programs on prime time TV dedicated to saving money!, ever likely people are getting brainwashed into this way of thinking when every other advert is comparing some service on price.

and it'll get far worse before it gets better.

Edited by McCardle

OK Ray

So the waters are a bit muddy with you.Most of us are not in a position to offer marquuees etc.

Of your quote how much did you factor in for the DJ Services??

£350 + VAT excluding the uplighters. The band that the clients wanted alone were £2500.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

• 1 month later...

Judging by the amount of bookings I currently have I think I am qualified to answer this.

I think they want..... Value....I average out about £30.00 an hour.

Appropiate music....I am 51 and know how to judge an audience.I have a portfolio of about 50 tunes that I use regularly to kick off a reaction.I have also loaded onto my hard the drive 30000 indexed songs that I can get to using the search function.

They want a confident but not over the top DJ.

They want adequate sound and lighting.They cannot tell the difference between Mackies/Skytec....Impossibleds and Par Cans.

They want a big finish to the evening.A chance to show there appreciation for all your hard work in the evening.I have some tried and tested end of evening songs that ensure the people who are principle at the party have some lasting memories.

They want a smartly turned out DJ.I think Bowties and cumberbaunds are a bit over the top.

Please remember.....nobody books you wanting you to fail.It is major embarassment for you all if that happens.

These are my principles....you may of course have yours!!

Please share??