Dj's United

Mp3 Mixing Software

Hi All....

Not posted for a while but am looking into changing all Cd's over to MP3, have done a couple of gigs using itunes and an ipod to mix / swap between songs until I can find a peice of software that can do it alot easier.

Using a laptop with seperate hard-drive, alot easier than carting flightcases full of CD's around!

Would like one that runs alongside itunes if possible as that is where all my music is currently stored and filed. A piece of free software would be even better!!!!

Just so many around I am after comments or feedback from anyone who is or has been in the same situation that cares to give me the benefit of theor experience.

Thanks in advance................over to you guys!

With Numark Cue/Virtual DJ you can drag music from iTunes onto the deck directly, however I don't think that works with iTunes downloads, only music ripped from CD.

Check out what others use in the DJ & Karaoke section of the forum

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showforum=88

It really depends a lot on what you want from the software. There are some free applications around, though I don't know much about them. Most software will allow you to make folders or playlists to organise your music. Personally I would choose the software that works for me the best, even if it means spending days re-organising all my music. You can get format converting software free off the internet, which should at least save you the hassle of having to re-rip all your music from cd again

I know it sounds crazy but there are plenty of DJ's using Windows Media Player or Winamp with crossfading plugins or crossfading turned on.

Virtual DJ has an automix function and is easy to get to grips with. Mixmeister has great beatmatching but works in a timeline way rather than 2 decks so takes a bit of getting used to. These are both in the 100-200 quid bracket for licensed versions.

Serato Scratch Live has Itunes integration although i don't believe it plays DRM protected files. If you have CD decks already this might be a good way of utilising them to control your laptop for a more hands on approach. The downside .. ? £390. But it is very very good apparently.

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

Hi Tommo,

Forum members mean to be helpful but sometimes miss the issue (newbie, budget etc).

Hence if you are new to the digital world of mp3 / laptop Djing, you will find you will over a period of time go through using various types of software before you hit on something you feel is 'right for YOU'.

Therfore m8 download a few demo's and see how you get on with them personally , some peoples likes are others dislikes and vice versa. My biggest mistake in the past have been buying software on the recommendation of others and find it didn't suit my personal needs (some of this software isn't cheap and can run in to a few hundred quid).

As mentioned earlier in the thread I also know of Dj's who are using Winamp (with x fade plugin) with no problems. A friend of mine uses J RIVERS Media Jukebox (Free) and has configured the x fade fantastically.

Again it can be down to what type of event you cater for, if you beatmix or just crossfade etc.

Personally I use OtsDj but SAM Party Dj / Broadcaster is another bit of software I have had great results with.

However if you are testing the water you could do a lot worse than this for 20 Euros you get the full beatmix function or if you dont mix the simple crossfade version is FREE

http://www.djmixpro.com/djmixpro/djmixpro.html

Hope it helps :Thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Hi All....

Not posted for a while but am looking into changing all Cd's over to MP3, have done a couple of gigs using itunes and an ipod to mix / swap between songs until I can find a peice of software that can do it alot easier.

Using a laptop with seperate hard-drive, alot easier than carting flightcases full of CD's around!

Would like one that runs alongside itunes if possible as that is where all my music is currently stored and filed. A piece of free software would be even better!!!!

Just so many around I am after comments or feedback from anyone who is or has been in the same situation that cares to give me the benefit of theor experience.

Thanks in advance................over to you guys!

Currently I am using Virtual Vinyl from Numark (Virtual DJ with Numark branding). I also have the DMC2 controller. Once everything is configured and tweaked I have found the response of the control vinyl to be almost indiscernible from using traditional vinyl.

I use the TT 500 decks from Numark, I sold my Technics 1200 2 years ago and I can honestly say that my new decks actually exceed the capabilities of the industry trusted wheels of steel.

The plugin features of virtual vinyl are fairly robust and if you're any kind of C++ developer you can readily make your own, or if not just download the 3rd party VST effects.

The record library is acutely defined in version 5 and above. I would advise a decent hardware base to play your mp3's from. Personally I would avoid Vista, although it is compatible with Virtual vinyl. A multi-core PC is a must if you want to use mp4 (video). The BPM scan algorithm is fairly tight, although naturally it does suffer slightly on the non-sequenced pre 1985 material. Always back up your media of course and as yet I've had no application crashes unlike PCDJ

The only downside is that you can easily be drawn into using the visual waveform display as a means of beat matching rather than first trusting your ears.

Prior to this software I was using PCDJ VRM Red with a DAC3, having used virtual vinyl for over 9 months now I have thoroughly consigned these items to my DJ museum.

If you want any more info then post another reply

Thanks

DJ Psypha

ADMIN EDIT

Edited by Dukesy