Dj's United

Me and my mate have started a mobile disco, we are aware we need a produb licence, but do we need one each? or can we just licence the disco?

Good question.

I suggest you contact the ProDub team for clarification.

http://www.prsformusic.com/musicforproduct...DubLicence.aspx

There is a lot of mis-information flying about, so you need to get this from an official source.

If you do require the ProDub (ie, public performance), then its not worth risking your busines.

I assume you will both be running gigs together, so no 2nd rig?

(as opposed to 2 separate gigs per night?)

Jason

There is a lot of mis-information flying about, so you need to get this from an official source.

If you do require the ProDub (ie, public performance), then its not worth risking your busines.

I assume you will both be running gigs together, so no 2nd rig?

(as opposed to 2 separate gigs per night?)

yeah, using the same rig.

But we only intend on doing private functions at the moment. Is it only needed for public or both?

i guess i should read the link really :P lol

BIG Fish Discos

The pro-dub license is needed regardless of whether you do public or private functions.

Basically you are paying for the permission to convert from one original format to another format. So if you convert vinyl to mp3 or rip cd to mp3 then you'll need to get one. Its a license to convert (format shift) material, and not a license to play music, so it still applies regardless of whether you are playing in pubs or doing weddings.

The only way of avoiding a license is to use original material in the original format in which it was bought.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'