Dj's United

When I gig I tend to find that my energy levels are drained by 11pm or even earlier! I think this is because I peak far too early, maybe as early as 7:30. I have thoughts on why this is but I wonder when your levels begin to deteriorate..?

Here's my typical day:

It's the day of a big wedding gig. You've woken up thinking about the night and what could go wrong. You get your gear out to double check everything. You go through all your pre-gig notes to ensure you have all the songs requested, especially the first dances, and the clients names, etc.

You check your wardrobe, you pack the gear in the van, you shower, you change and you go. You arrive in plenty of time to unload, set-up and sound and light check. You go and get changed into your gig clobber.

7:30 You start the background music to welcome guests. You mingle, and get a few requests.

8:15 First mic announcement.

8:30 First dance

8:35 Encourage everyone to join the happy couple

8:40 Try and keep some people on the floor

9:00 Buffet, turn music down

9:40 Lights down

9:41 Party starts

I think I worry too much during the day and waste a lot energy through nerves. Then the physical aspect kicks in - lifting gear into van, off van and into venue, setting up. As 7:30 approaches the nervous energy builds up the adrenaline levels and I start to feel re-energised. I welcome guests and try to get some requests off them. Then I do my formal announcements, then it's the buffet. As my big moment approaches, the first 'proper' song of the night...the final energy resources are called upon.

By 10pm I'm drained, just when I need them most.

I'll share my thoughts on why I think this happens to me later in the thread. I think there are four, maybe five, specific reasons why I am the way I am. I am looking at addressing these issues.

Is this how most of you feel? Do you have ways of controlling your energy levels? Do you get your roadie to do most of the work pre-9:40? Do you consume copious amounts of chocolate or energy drinks? what's your secret?

[insert quirky comment]

carnt say i have this problem i can never rest when i have done a gig it takes me a couple of hours to relax. i always make sure i eat before i go out pasta is normally my choice slow release carbs. half the time the buzz off doing it keeps me going thats why i can never sleep!lol

I would make sure you eat properly before you go and then take something with you.

and don't drink diet drinks. Through the night you are working and at 2 stages through the night you are humping and dumping stuff.

check your stuff the day before the gig or if your gigging the night before then you know it works. i have all my paper work in folders so i check it in the morning and take the folder with me! so i can relax most of the day!

just a few ideas

Old age mate.

If I start at 1930hrs then in the morning I would be at the stables with daughter in the morning.

start thinking about the gig at 1600hrs.

I think it is called experience.

Normally tired for 30 minutes at 2230hrs, but then am OK.

Normally get home at 0230hrs, cup of tea and TV, bed for 0400hrs.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

my energy levels dip at arou nd the 7:30-9pm period, because theres not always alot of work to do (like someone said, the roadie could do it) so im always quite sleepy at this point, then i have a pint of coke and im buzzing then! (i also carry chewits in the car for a much needed sugar boost)

An interesting debate. Lots of things will factor on peoples peak energy period, or even if they have one. Body type / size, age, level of fitness and current state of health will have some bearing, not to mention whether they have had to carry the gear up stairs or for any great distance, even before the gig has begun.

Don't forget to factor in people's lifestyle, such as whether they are at work all day with a full time job. Imagine a wedding or other booking held on a Friday, whereby at 5pm the deejay may have already worked through a normal 8 hour day, before loading the car and heading out to another 7 or 8 hour stint with Job no 2. I would imagine that the peak energy period here would be earlier, and probably occur in Job no 1 and by 9pm he / she may already be knackered having been up for 12 - 14 hours, compared to his full time colleagues who may have treated themselves to a lie in, in preperation for the long and late night ahead and at that point be (and feel) far more rested.

Of course people can condition themselves (in)to all sorts of lifestyles - Astronauts are the more obvious evidence of this. However I have seen the effects of overwork and stress first hand, and the funeral was held a month back. "Working yourself into an early grave was stark reality in this case". He worked, every hour that god sent, and yet lost everything as a result.........his health, his family, his house, his friends, his self respect and finally his life.

The original thread was here, and yes its a bit shocking,

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22591

If the thread does shock a little then GREAT!, but thats because its reality, and probably just like 'you', 5 years ago he probably would also have read something just like it, and thought just the same as 'you', namely

Oh, that'll never be me

My advice is ensure that any peak energy is apportioned fairly, and not just directed to work but in the company of friends, family and doing stuff you enjoy. Also make sure that you take time to yourself to rest, get some sleep, recuperate fully from any signs of illness and get back to 100% before pushing yourself back into a gruelling rountine with long, unsocial hours, because the older you get the longer it takes us to get back what we are taking out, just like a car in winter with a flat battery.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I seem to generally peak after 10pm till about 11.30, the early evening is usually pretty easy going so I don't waste energy trying to gee up a sober crowd, once the buffet's over it's time to get things rockin, if the crowd are up for it, that carries me and I have plenty of energy till the last song. If the crowd are hard work it starts to drain you a lot sooner. On a really good night when the crowd are up for it from the start, then so am I - energy high all night, even if it's five hours of keeping up the pace, not a problem. Day after is the time I'm knackered.

Ben - maybe you do worry a bit too much.

Relax. As long as you have backup gear, full details for the gig, allow plenty of time for travel/setting-up etc and have requests asked for in advance, then you have yourself pretty much covered.

Yes - the actual event itself can be a challenge, but put in effort and relax and all should be OK.

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

I will tell you when I get tired...on those long distance bookings where you set up at 6.30 pm, sit around till nearly 11 and then go on. By that time I have lost a considerable amount of enthusiasm, especially when drunken gits talk crap to you and then expect you to play over the agreed 12 o'clock finish.

Ben - maybe you do worry a bit too much.

Relax. As long as you have backup gear, full details for the gig, allow plenty of time for travel/setting-up etc and have requests asked for in advance, then you have yourself pretty much covered.

Yes - the actual event itself can be a challenge, but put in effort and relax and all should be OK.

Agreed! ... i've worried in the past, but now i have everything covered.

I always ask if there is anything specific they want to hear, and most just say 'oh the normal stuff and a bit of chart music' I always ask for requests on the night. I plan a playlist in advance (on my laptop) which generally based around the general floor fillers and the current chart stuff.

As for energy peaks, I think I get 'in the zone' about 11pm when the floor is full. I hate the lull for about 2 hours at the start of the night when they are all getting bladdered (and often i'm not!)

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Firstly, I do worry but not to the point of stress or other health risking level. I just want everything to go well so we can all go home happy.

I think there are five main areas I can work on.

1) I work completely on my own. So, I test, load, drive, unload, carry-in, set-up, check, gig, break-down, carry-out, load, drive home and unload completely on my own.

2) I use CD's. I like to play lots of different music all night. This means that I am looking through my boxes, six in total, all night searching for just the right track. That's pretty tiring in itself.

3) Food. I generally eat something light at lunch because, as a family, we normally eat a substantial meal in the evening. On a typical gig day I'll miss the meal and take some sarnies instead. For a man of my size...my stomach thinks my throats been cut!

4) My size/fitness/health. Since the two little munchkins were born eight and six years ago, respectively, I've been increasing in size and decreasing in fitness year-on-year.

5) Work. DJ'ing has always been a part-time job that I've done as well as full-time employment.

So, having identified these weaknesses, what am I going to do about them?

1) I can test the day before, as someone has already mentioned. I could actually prepare the vehicle for loading and load some gear the previous night. I could also take less gear...although I'll continue to take at least one complete back-up rig.

2) I have begun to use my Ots system that I purchased years ago! This will help in so many ways - less CD cases to carry and search through, pre-prepared set lists for the buffet or start of the night and quick access to requests.

3) Bloody obvious. Eat more substantially at lunchtime!

4) I'm working on this now, but I can't believe (a) how unfit I have become and (b) how hard it is to lose it as I approach 40!

5) I have left full-time employment so DJ'ing has more of my time.

I identified my energy drain as one of the main reasons I felt I wasn't offering a top-notch service. Having taken steps to overcome this I'm hoping to improve my performance. Watch out Bournemouth!

[insert quirky comment]