Dj's United

Workshops, Courses, Training and Careers

This thread may be of interest to those wanting a career in either Sound & Lighting workshops or the Arts / Drama / Broadcast and will be updated as / when I come across more information.

Although mainly aimed at young people looking for a career in the above and about to leave school, although most of the courses are available to anybody.

Please contact the people running the courses directly for more information and application forms, since I haven't any experience of these personally, and neither can I pull any strings on your behalf! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.

Please keep this thread on topic http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/nono.gif

Rose Bruford (in Kent) - BA (Hons) Lighting Design. 3 years

LIPA - (Liverpool) BA (Hons) Theatre & Performance Technology. 3 years

QMUC - Edinburgh - BA (Hons) Stage Management & Theatre Production. 4 years.

Derby Uni - BSc (Hons) Sound, Light and Live Event Technology. 3 years. 4 years with foundation year

CSSD (London) - - BA (Hons) Theatre Practice. 3 years.

Leeds Uni - BA Performance Design and Production. 3 years

Mountview (London) - BA (Hons) Technical Theatre. 2 years

LAMDA - (London) Stage Management and Technical Theatre Course. 2 years

RADA - Selecon Lighting Design Graduate Certificate Course

BTEC National Award (NA) in Stage Lighting ,Rigging and Operation

Loughborough College

Radmoor Road,

Loughborough

Leicestershire

LE11 3BT

E-mail: garner@loucoll.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0)15 0961 8377

Fax: +44 (0)15 0961 8109

BSc in Audio Electronics

University of Derby

Kedleston Road

Derby

DEE 1GB

E-mail: S.Lewis@derby.ac.uk

Web: www.derby.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0)133 259 1761

Fax: +44 (0)133 259 7739

City and Guilds in Sound Engineering

National Diploma (ND) in Sound Engineering

City of Westminster

25 Paddington Green

London

W2 1NB

E-mail: customer.servicescwc.ac.uk

Web: www.cwc.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0)20 7723 8826

Fax: +44 (0)20 7258 2700

Higher National Diploma (HND) in Audio Technology

National Certificate (NC) in Sound Engineering

Glenrothes College

Stenton Road

Glenrothes

KY6 2RA

E-mail: audiotech@glenrothes.ac.uk

Web: www.glenrothes-college.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0)159 256 8105

Fax: +44 (0)159 256 8318

Derby Uni - (Bsc Hons) Audio System Design & Technology - Part time Course

Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Radio Broadcasting

Glenrothes College

Stenton Road

Glenrothes

KY6 2RA

E-mail: audiotech@glenrothes.ac.uk

Web: www.glenrothes-college.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0)159 256 8105

Fax: +44 (0)159 256 8318

• 2 years later...

there is also a BTEC diploma in DJ technology that is the equvilent to 1 A-level and is a two year course the course entailes Mixing records, using final scratch, Live performances, Promotion, making music?, recording music, Health and safety

just about everything you need to learn it may not help you get a job but it can start you off! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/071.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif

Dave

BTEC DJ TECHNOLOGY INFORMATION

However, the course is also weighted with some Music Technology and Studio work, so make sure that you have some interest in these areas too.

Doncaster Courses

Gateshead College

South Nottingham College

Kent College

Print out the course information from the main BTEC website (first link) and give it to your careers advisor, they should be able to find other colleges offering the same course.

Guildford has the A C M, which covers all music. The DJing side is quite comprehensive. The legendary Les Adams teach's there.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

I am trying to find somewhere that does beatmix training etc.. So far I have only had luck with Luton DJ Academy, but was wanting to look around first. Does anybody know anywhere else I could look ??

Thanks

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

I'm a tad old skool and beatmix by ear but am happy using vinyl, CD, DVD and mp3 for mixing.

If you need a crash course - contact me!

smile icon

• 2 years later...

The NADJ Youth Development Program & Youth Scholarship Program

2008 sees a new and overdue initiative from the National Association of Disc Jockeys (NADJ)

The introduction of our Youth Development Program is aimed at introducing young up-coming DJs to the exciting and varied world of DJ’ing and giving them the support they need to find their niche in this industry.

It is not an exaggeration to say that this is long overdue and now, our Chairman has made it his personal target for this year to ensure this program gets off to a great start and has the impact necessary to help develop DJs of the future. It will give them the guidance they need, not only in DJ’ing and music, but in the areas of audio and visual technical work, even starting and running their own business or working on contract.

This year NADJ are introducing a DJ Scholarship program. There will be two positions which will be decided by application and interview. Initial application can be done by completing the form, by voice message or by video message. The scholarship is aimed at, but not restricted to, those committed to starting or improving a career in DJ’ing who are 15 to 19 years of age.

The scholarship program will last a year and will consist of the following elements.

1) A 16 part, 8 week course encompassing all aspects of DJ work from music construction to AV signal technology. From mixing to business practices. These can be attended in different locations around the Country.

This course is well established and recognised across the industry as the best available.

2) Mentoring by the NADJ Youth Development Team which consists of NADJ members with a wide range of DJ’ing experience from mobile to club to radio. Advice and encouragement wil be available 7 days per week throughout the year by text, phone or email.

3) A program of work experience including a minimum of two sessions (ie. 6 in total) with each of the following: a mobile DJ, a club DJ and a radio DJ. Also a session at a professional mixing studio. All costs will be borne by the scholarship.

Unique and superb opportunities to see and experience first hand how a DJ works, what each of the disciplines is like and give the young DJ exposure to help him or her understand the opportunities available.

4) 1 year’s free membership of NADJ

5) Voluntary participation in NADJ Youth Development Program events around the Country, throughout the year.

6) All course fees and travel costs for the above activities to be paid by the scholarship.

To download an application form contact me via PM ow visit the NADJ web site as I can't get a link to work!

Edited by Phil Cunnington

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

Like you said at the AGM Phil this will be a great opportunity and would have loved to have it. As im 16 I do still fit the bracket but I have residencies already and dont know whether I could still go for it.

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

Like you said at the AGM Phil this will be a great opportunity and would have loved to have it. As im 16 I do still fit the bracket but I have residencies already and dont know whether I could still go for it.

You are welcome to apply.

It doesn't matter whether you have started working as a DJ or not.

The only thing that matters is that you are committed to completing the year as it is not a cheap exercise and we don't want to waste money, resources or peoples' time. Or waste the opportunity that someone else could have taken.

Bottom line is, the two that get it will be the one's that we are convinced want it the most.

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

You are welcome to apply.

It doesn't matter whether you have started working as a DJ or not.

The only thing that matters is that you are committed to completing the year as it is not a cheap exercise and we don't want to waste money, resources or peoples' time. Or waste the opportunity that someone else could have taken.

Bottom line is, the two that get it will be the one's that we are convinced want it the most.

I for one can vouch for steves deddication in the djin field.I have helped him myself privately and seen him grow from the early days.If you need a refference steve u got one here m8.

Cheers Paul, think I will apply :-)

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk