Dj's United

How is the recession affecting work?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Halfway through the second month of the New Year, how are things still looking since last months thread?

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Interesting statistics shown here ( as at 22.15 hrs 15/02/08).

I would like to hear some comments on the figures expressed, or are more realistically worried than would like to admit in public.

Blinkers anyone? :shrug:

I voted quiet at the moment, but busier later. December was down on last year, January was up only due to a big payment for an event in March, most of which will be paid out again, so thats artificial.

I've had at least one a week during the quiet months, so not too bad really, I've always had to let the summer subsidise this time of year, so aslong as things tick along and bills are paid I'm happy! I even managed a holiday in January! April is also suprising busy, with 6 weddings, one on a Thursday, and all the Fridays still free for birhdays and the more last minute events.

I'm reasonably confident becuase I have 44 bookings in total for the year so far, 39 of which are Weddings. A few have gone for extras like all-day service or uplighting and I have dates where I'm doubling (and one where I'm tripling) up already, which is much better than this time last year.

The only difference I'm noticing is people are asking more questions and being more careful about who they spend their money with, this can only be good for the quality operator IMO.

Edited by Danno13

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

I would like to hear some comments on the figures expressed, or are more realistically worried than would like to admit in public

I have noticed a big reduction in comments on the how was it for you discussions, along with the lack of pictures of gigs and roadshow set ups at venues and there does seem to be an absence on Saturday / Sunday / Mondays of gig related topics such as something which may have occured at last nights booking. Either there are a run of mundane / boring bookings with nothing happening worth discussing, or people simply are not out working in the frequency which they were 6, 12, 18 months ago.

If you check out the 'How was it for you' section alone, not only are topics getting started closer to the weekend than previously, but instead of reaching double figures, we are now currently struggling to reach 3 or 4 replies, and often 2 or 3 of them are stating that the Author isn't out working this W/E

Maybe things will get better in the coming months.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I have noticed a big reduction in comments on the how was it for you discussions, along with the lack of pictures of gigs and roadshow set ups at venues and there does seem to be an absence on Saturday / Sunday / Mondays of gig related topics such as something which may have occured at last nights booking. Either there are a run of mundane / boring bookings with nothing happening worth discussing, or people simply are not out working in the frequency which they were 6, 12, 18 months ago.

If you check out the 'How was it for you' section alone, not only are topics getting started closer to the weekend than previously, but instead of reaching double figures, we are now currently struggling to reach 3 or 4 replies, and often 2 or 3 of them are stating that the Author isn't out working this W/E

Maybe things will get better in the coming months.

I used to manage a retail shop and am still good friends with the owner, I pop in at least once if not twice a week for a chat and coffee (He is also in my quiz team!!). I bump into very compitent DJs there and every single one is struggling, not one has much work. Interestingly though, the "cheap guys" still seem to be reasonably busy and of course the wind up merchants who claim they can platt fog are still rushed off their (imaginary) feet.

I have never seen it so bad for so many.