Dj's United

£1000 To Spend.....on What Though?

Helloa all,

Firstly, many thanks for all your contributions to this forum, I find it really intersting reading and although I don;t understand all of it, I get sdome useful tips.

I am a casual DJ who gigs on avarage twice a month, birthdays, weddings and quite a few childens parties. Charge a fair amount but feel I offer value for money.

I have not spent on my set up for a few years and feel I could do with upgrading a bit, I have about £1000 to spend.....question is, on what?

Let me tell you what I have now:

Numark CDmix3 (plus back up)

Crown 4902 amp (plus back up)

Gemini GX400 passive speakers

Unltimax Goalpost stand with:

2 x NJD Datamoon

2 x Tangos

2 x iShow iBarrells

I am thinking about 1 bass bin(not sure whether my speakers and amps woudl be able to run a bass bin)

or/and some lights.

Having read forums I am thinking about:

1 bass bin

Starcloth

American DJ Starball x 2

LED lighting (will take advice)

Lasers (like the Star Cluster 3D)

What would you buy to make the difference if you had my set up?

All suggestions very welcome and I thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

welcome to the forum - may I recommend you introduce yourself in the following area;

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showforum=13

I think the gear is ok - you've got backup which I class as important.

If you are doing weddings, take a look at the presentation of your set-up. If you don't have a deck stand, consider getting one of those and a starcloth to hide those cables.

I'm not sure of the features of your amp, but if it has a low-cut filter, then running a separate active sub could be one upgrade. This would leave your main speakers and amp runing mid+high, with the sub just doing its job.

Personally, I'd concentrate on a visually neat set-up. A few nice photos of a this on a website would sell your service much more than a better sound system and laser lighting. (unless you do lots of teenage parties)

Speaking to a few brides-to-be, they all want to ensure the equipment is tidy.

Your lights are fine - I assume no-one has complained?

Jason

Personally the first thing I would do is buy an active sub, it would make a massive difference to your sound system. I'd get a Mackie SWA1501 myself, they cost £700 new but excellent used ones can be had for around £400, cheaper alternatives are available. Next I'd do as already suggested and tidy up the 'Look' of your rig, presentation IS important, especially for brides to be. A starcloth is the obvious improvement, NJD do a very reasonably priced wool serge cloth, I'd certainly check them out. Your lights seem OK at the moment, I'd wait and see what develops with LED powered fittings, they're getting better all the time, and will soon be worth buying. I think the Star Cluster laser is worth buying, it would add a different dimension to your show, I'd save rest of the cash towards getting a good pair of active tops when the budget allows.

New Site Clouds Disco

I agree with what vokf and disco4hire say. You haven't mentioned a microphone, which I presume you have but maybe you could get a wireless microphone. Very useful for weddings and they seem to be very popular at the moment. Personally I would upgrade your Numark CDMix3 to a decent twin cd player and a decent mixer, which would give you more features and more possibilities. Exactly what equipment you need will depend on what sort of gigs you do - you say you do 'quite a few children's parties' - is this your main type of gig? Also where do you want to go with your business. Are you considering going full time or doing discos less frequently? Are you considering 'going digital'? (in which case you could spend part of the money on that)

Perhaps more importantly than any other item of kit is insurance and PLI is one of the most important for us DJs, up until September last year, entertainer PLI could only be obtained for over £100.00 from various sources, but DJ@ (www.djassociates.org) offer it as part of their membership from £75.00 which also includes other great benefits. Worth looking into.

This will cover your behind if the proverbial :fan:

Nik

Perhaps more importantly than any other item of kit is insurance and PLI is one of the most important for us DJs, up until September last year, entertainer PLI could only be obtained for over £100.00 from various sources, but DJ@ (www.djassociates.org) offer it as part of their membership from £75.00 which also includes other great benefits. Worth looking into.

This will cover your behind if the proverbial :fan:

Nik

Hi All,

Wow! Fantastic advice, once again thanks for taking the time to respond and give advice.

I do this as well as a full time job and have no intention to take it up full time, I will leave that to the proffesionals. However, I do take it seriously and want to ensure I offer the best value for money I can.

I have been gigging for about 4 years now and have always had PLI of £5m and insurance through musicguard (recommended on here!).

I should have mentioned I have a wireless mic a Shure PG58.

I have an ultimax stand which I cover my wires with a black cloth at the moment, just looks a bit like a punch and judy show! I tape the overhead cables to the stand with duck tape and that seems to work.

A starcloth would look a lot better, I am wary about the life of them though as reports seem to suggest they break quite easy. I will take a look at the NJD one though. I think there is one with 30 lights and one with 50? I guess you get what you pay for.

I need a bit more advice around an active sub please. As mentioned I have a Crown xls402 amp and a Gemini GXA 1600 amp(Back up), with the Gemini GX400 which I know are not the best speakers but actually don't owe me anything so will do for now.(I was ready to rush out and spend my money on a pair of SRM450 V2's until I read veried reports).

I would always use a basic set up for Childrens parties but do quite a few adult parties, birthdays and weddings and would like a little more clout.

If I was to buy the Mackie SWA1501 how would that actually set up? Would that plug staright into my CDmix3?

If it helps I do also have a Numark CDN30 and CM100 mixer but I find it a bit clunky. I have thought about a new CD player but to be honest I wouldn't use half the features it would offer. I do a bit of beat mixing where appropriate but generally it is good old party tunes and the CDmix3 is perfect for me.

So, an active sub, how would it work? (And I know nothing about active crossovers, etc so please keep it stupidly simple for a simpleton;o)

I am undecided about the laser, may need to see one in action in the flesh.

As for LED lighting I will follow your advice and see what comes out round the corner.

I wouldn't go digital, again not really my kind of thing and I haven;t had any complaints at all (well not about my set up anyway!)

It is just, you know, boys and new toys.........

Cheers once again,

Simon

If I was to buy the Mackie SWA1501 how would that actually set up? Would that plug staright into my CDmix3?

If it helps I do also have a Numark CDN30 and CM100 mixer but I find it a bit clunky. I have thought about a new CD player but to be honest I wouldn't use half the features it would offer. I do a bit of beat mixing where appropriate but generally it is good old party tunes and the CDmix3 is perfect for me.

So, an active sub, how would it work? (And I know nothing about active crossovers, etc so please keep it stupidly simple for a simpleton;o)

Simon

The SWA1501 is very easy to use, you just take two XLR's leads from the CD3Mix's main output to the input of the 1501 and another two XLR's from the Hi-pass output on the 1501 to your existing Amp inputs, it's that simple, the 1501 has a built in active crossover. You can find more details on the Mackie website.

New Site Clouds Disco

The SWA1501 is very easy to use, you just take two XLR's leads from the CD3Mix's main output to the input of the 1501 and another two XLR's from the Hi-pass output on the 1501 to your existing Amp inputs, it's that simple, the 1501 has a built in active crossover. You can find more details on the Mackie website.

Cheers, I understand. I just need to find a reasonably priced one now.

If I can;t find a reasonably priced one do you have any recommendations for a similar bin but a bit cheaper? i.e any other with an active crossover.

Simon

Cheers, I understand. I just need to find a reasonably priced one now.

If I can;t find a reasonably priced one do you have any recommendations for a similar bin but a bit cheaper? i.e any other with an active crossover.

Simon

I wouldn't recommend anything I hadn't tried or used myself, and I have only owned Mackie actives, I have used various passive subs including Wharfedale, Class D, Turbosound, and Ohm, with the exception of the Ohm BR218's, the rest were, IMO, absolute garbage! The Ohm's were fantastic but are big, heavy and power hungry, they're OK if you have a big, strong roadie, but these days I don't have that luxury, any volunteers?

New Site Clouds Disco

Well looking at your setup i'd say you have good lighting and sound isn't too bad although as others have mentioned probably look down the route of a powered/active sub - which then means it will work perfectly well along side your existing audio set up....

I'd then look at the presentation side of things... and of course i can highly recommend the deckstand booth pro which is a mixture of a professional booth and deckstand in one... You can even have the option overhead lighting add on as well so that it's a complete solution in one.. Far classer and professional looking that just putting a standard starcloth over a deckstand - but then i would say that wouldnt i :lol2: :lol:

I wouldn't recommend anything I hadn't tried or used myself, and I have only owned Mackie actives, I have used various passive subs including Wharfedale, Class D, Turbosound, and Ohm, with the exception of the Ohm BR218's, the rest were, IMO, absolute garbage! The Ohm's were fantastic but are big, heavy and power hungry, they're OK if you have a big, strong roadie, but these days I don't have that luxury, any volunteers?

Quite honestly if you think that Turbosound passive subs are "absolute garbage" I should turn your hearing aid on! :wall:

Just out of interest which models did you try?

Just out of interest which models did you try?

I had a pair of TXD 115's which I bought to replace the Wharfedale SB15's I was using at the time. I bought them on the reputation of turbosound, and unfortunatley I didn't bother auditioning them properly first. I tried them with a variety of good quality amps JBL MPX600, Citronic PPX 1200 and a Cloud VTX1500 and was very dissapointed with them. IMO there were no better than the SB15's except in looks. I only used them 3 or 4 times before selling them on ebay where they reached quite a good price. I was pleased to see them go.

New Site Clouds Disco

I had a pair of TXD 115's which I bought to replace the Wharfedale SB15's I was using at the time. I bought them on the reputation of turbosound, and unfortunatley I didn't bother auditioning them properly first. I tried them with a variety of good quality amps JBL MPX600, Citronic PPX 1200 and a Cloud VTX1500 and was very dissapointed with them. IMO there were no better than the SB15's except in looks. I only used them 3 or 4 times before selling them on ebay where they reached quite a good price. I was pleased to see them go.

I understand now,however putting Turbosound TXD115's in the same sentence as OHMBR218's is very misleading.As you are well aware i'm sure they are designed for completely different applications.

Also the amps you quote are quite underpowered to run the Turbo' boxes.

You could have a look at the DB SUB15, which I have heard recommended before. It is more powerful than the mackie one and cheaper.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3634...gies-sub15.html

Thanks once again all. I will look at the DB Sub and keep an eye out for the Mackie sub 2nd hand maybe.

The Star Booth does look mighty fine, maybe a little out of my league (at the moment).

Anybody got a star cloth they wish to recommend?

It is good to hear that my set up is competitive and seems to tick most of the boxes.

One more question. Can anyone receommend a controller I could use for the iRock barrels? I have a lead linkig them toegether so they do the same thing but would be great to be able to control the damn things. Just like I have with my datamoons. *Stupid question time* Can I link up my datamoons and my ibarrels and use one controller?

Cheers again,

Simon

You should buy my Mackie 450s (mint!!), bags, Mackie 1500 sub, and my Madscans with controller. I'll also chuck in a SM58 Shure and some speaker stands

Just add laptop and thats all you need virtually...great sound system and four great scanners

Just a grand! Bargain!!

Helloa all,

Firstly, many thanks for all your contributions to this forum, I find it really intersting reading and although I don;t understand all of it, I get sdome useful tips.

I am a casual DJ who gigs on avarage twice a month, birthdays, weddings and quite a few childens parties. Charge a fair amount but feel I offer value for money.

I have not spent on my set up for a few years and feel I could do with upgrading a bit, I have about £1000 to spend.....question is, on what?

Let me tell you what I have now:

Numark CDmix3 (plus back up)

Crown 4902 amp (plus back up)

Gemini GX400 passive speakers

Unltimax Goalpost stand with:

2 x NJD Datamoon

2 x Tangos

2 x iShow iBarrells

I am thinking about 1 bass bin(not sure whether my speakers and amps woudl be able to run a bass bin)

or/and some lights.

Having read forums I am thinking about:

1 bass bin

Starcloth

American DJ Starball x 2

LED lighting (will take advice)

Lasers (like the Star Cluster 3D)

All suggestions very welcome and I thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Simon

One more question. Can anyone receommend a controller I could use for the iRock barrels? I have a lead linkig them toegether so they do the same thing but would be great to be able to control the damn things. Just like I have with my datamoons. *Stupid question time* Can I link up my datamoons and my ibarrels and use one controller?

With a dmx controller you will be able to control both of them and any other dmx lights you buy in future with the one unit (providing you don't use more lights than there are channels on the dmx controller). You will be able to program to do whatever you want and program colour, gobo, scan, speed, strobe etc.

Here is a dmx controller but there are others avaliable

http://www.djstore.com/item/lighting_control/procont06.htm