Dj's United

Getting Started For Cheap (<£100)

I don't know if I want to DJ properly - I just want some basic "stuff" to get started. I'd be going digital (CD) rather than vinyl, and I would be mixing trance/hard dance music to start with. I've been producing music a few years, and curiosity has just got the better of me.

If I get a cheap DJ mixer (2 channel) for £30 off ebay, and 2 cheap CDJ decks, would that be good enough to get started? Sorry if this seems daft, but what is the actual difference between something like a CDJ-10 and a -1000? Surely they both just play a CD and it's the mixing and effects in the equipment chain that produce the "mix"?

Oh, by the way, I've got some MDR-V700 headphones from sony already (for music production), and I'm sure I can easily find some Hi-Fi speakers to hook up. Better still, within the next few months I will be getting some studio monitors.

So, would this be enough:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=017

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citronic-CDM3-2s-2-C...%3A1|240%3A1318

and obviously the cables!

Regards

Matthew

Depends entirely on what you want to do with 'em. if this is just for messing about at home, then yes, they will probably do just fine, however if you are intending to go out with them 'gigging' then certainly hi-fi speakers are not going to be substantial enough, especially if you aim to be playing Dance and Trance stuff

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Depends entirely on what you want to do with 'em. if this is just for messing about at home, then yes, they will probably do just fine, however if you are intending to go out with them 'gigging' then certainly hi-fi speakers are not going to be substantial enough, especially if you aim to be playing Dance and Trance stuff

Yeah, well obviously I'd need to learn the basic skills first. But I am aware it's also a "learn on the job" type thing - if I was interested, that is. Why do people buy more expensive CDJs? What features do they offer that real simple ones (eg. the CDJ-20s) don't. I want to be a little future proof, but still at rock-bottom cost!

Cheers

There are loads of differences, for your budget you'd be hard pushed to get anything with true instant start, which is a must for any kind of serious mixing.

Also things like master tempo, looping, effects, hot starts etc. and just the reliability of the player.

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

Why do people buy more expensive CDJs?

Choice?, Personal preference? More / Better features?. The same way that some people will buy a Ford Focus and others will buy a Jag or Bentley :D

Obviously there is also a school of thought that you get what you pay for, and so more expensive equipment could be better constructed, use higher quality internal components and better error correction etc to name but a few non cosmetic points which may not be immediately visible. I've used neither of the products in your comparison so i'm not qualified to pass an opinion, i'll let somebody who has used either to give you a review.

But I am aware it's also a "learn on the job" type thing

It is, but usually under the guidance of somebody else smile icon . Most deejays tend to start out by helping a working DJ (an apprentice in other words) for a period of time and they learn their skills from watching them at work and being given advice. This works two fold, as it means that they can see exactly what it involves and perhaps even eventually have a go themselves without commiting to buying any expensive equipment

There is nothing wrong with practicing at home, and the system that you are looking at will probably suit you just fine for home use, but I would seriously consider getting a decent, proper PA system if you intend to work at venues or even the local village hall, as a hifi system or even studio monitors just won't cut it. If they did, we'd all be saving £100's and be using them ourselves

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

the ONE feature you will need is Instant Start

when you press Play, you want it to play instantly, not a slight delay and not a second or two delay

the cheap ones dont tend to do this, or if they do, its not every time

Agreed.

If you are serious about mixing you need a set of decks that start the beat the INSTANT you press play. The lag on some of the cheaper decks can be horrendous and throw your mix track right off beat. You also find that the more expensive rigs will have a more reactive fader-start which also help with your beat mixing. For somebody not too interested in beat-mixing the cheaper decks are sufficient BUT the *finer* details on the more expensive decks make the price difference well worthwhile for the serious mix DJ.

Edited by Slimboy Fat

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

DJ equipment and related tools is all-so-personal, be it headphones, studio monitors, decks, mixers, software, etc.

If you intend to be more instrumental in the mix - a 'hands-on' mix DJ, at the end of the day, whatever you purchase, always aim to be in a position to try before you buy!

If you want to be a little future proof then perhaps it's worth considering a player that is not limited to CD Audio matthewdowloads??!!! tongue out icon

If I was buying more expensive equipment off ebay I would be slightly cautious about the cd players seller, as he only has 13 feedback and non of it is for selling. Obviously at this price then I wouldn't worry too much but something to bear in mind.

I am afraid that 'rock bottom cost' and quality/features are pretty much mutually exclusive, although there is some good budget equipment around. However you would be lucky to get even a new budget twin cd player for £100. They say that if you pay peanuts, you get a monkey and unfortunately the majority of the time this is the case and whilst I do not have any experience of the cd players in question, they do look rather budget.

The CD Players do have anti-shock and pitch bend, which is probably enough for a beginner but I would be concerned about the quality. You do not know how old the cd players are as they are second hand and bearing in mind that real budget equipment in general does not last a long time, I would not imagine these lasting any great length of time, especially if taken out on the road.

If you want to 'future-proof' as you mention then why CDs? More and more DJs have converted or are in the process of converting to MP3s, using either a laptop based setup or a hard drive controller, although this does mean that you will incur the Pro-Dub License.

If you are not sure if you want to dj properly then why not contact a local dj and ask them if you can go with them if you can go with them for a few gigs to get a flavour, before spending any money on something that you may decide is not for you. If you do decide that you definitely want to be a serious mobile dj, rather than just doing house parties and the odd mate's party, then you need to save up much more money than £100, probably looking at £1000 minimum by the time you have speakers, lights, stands, insurance, PLI, PAT, website, business cards.

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much for the comments guys. As you can see, that auction went for >£100 which means, I will probably avoid CD altogether. Now the choice becomes vinyl and digital. I can see advantages in both - but probably digital sounds better.

Now for a cheap digital controller!