Dj's United

The Sorry State Of Our Music Charts

Following on from a recent thread about the amount of different genre in the charts, and not keeping upto date with everything thats in the charts.

Please somebody explain how this weeks number 21 (Chipmunk - Chip Diddy Chip) can possibly be so popular that it even hits the top 100 never mind number 21.

The mind boggles, maybe I'm just getting old.

Jim

What a name! I just listened to it on youtube and it must be one of the most stupid songs I've ever heard but it is does seem annoyingly catchy. :hide: You'll just have to hope that it isn't one of those songs that is going to be requested at every school disco and teenager's birthday party for the next six months. tongue out icon

Following on from a recent thread about the amount of different genre in the charts, and not keeping upto date with everything thats in the charts.

Please somebody explain how this weeks number 21 (Chipmunk - Chip Diddy Chip) can possibly be so popular that it even hits the top 100 never mind number 21.

The mind boggles, maybe I'm just getting old.

Jim

I actually think that the Saturdays cover of Just Can't Get Enough is a bigger travesty.

They are only forgiven because

a) It is for Comic Relief

b) They are very easy on the eye.

I have heard worse than that Chipmunk record. I'm undecided whether Ironik - Stay With Me or Soulja Buoy - Crank Dat is my worst record of the last year or so.

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

I don't know of any function DJ who takes the charts seriously any more. I used to and always kept the top 20 singles in the 80's and early 90's. Now it's a waste of time and money.

Maybe as a DJ i should, but i never play annoying tracks from people like "Chipmunk" What a load of rubbish!

This could end up being requested all the time just like Soulja boy was. Grrrr, Soulja boy :angry:

Top 10 Singles

1. FLO RIDA FT KESHA - RIGHT ROUND

2.LADY GAGA - POKER FACE

3. SATURDAYS - JUST CANT GET ENOUGH

4. KELLY CLARKSON - MY LIFE WOULD SUCK WITHOUT YOU

5.TAYLOR SWIFT - LOVE STORY

6.TI FT JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - DEAD AND GONE

7. LILY ALLEN - THE FEAR

8.LADY GAGA - JUST DANCE

9.SHONTELLE - T SHIRT

10.KINGS OF LEON - SOMEBODY

I actually think that the Saturdays cover of Just Can't Get Enough is a bigger travesty.

Hehe.. I'd say pleasing on the eye, not just easy ... Look up the video of it on Youtube and you'll see where I'm going with this :D

Top 10 Singles

2.LADY GAGA - POKER FACE

7. LILY ALLEN - THE FEAR

8.LADY GAGA - JUST DANCE

9.SHONTELLE - T SHIRT

Never been asked to play any of these!!

I get asked all the time. I do alot of 18ths/21st, and also my residency has alot of young ones. If you havent got the latest track in the charts they pull funny faces. The younger ones where i work expect it from a DJ.

There is alot of good new stuff coming out, some good club n dance stuff too, but the chart stuff is mainly rubbish.

2.LADY GAGA - POKER FACE

7. LILY ALLEN - THE FEAR

8.LADY GAGA - JUST DANCE

9.SHONTELLE - T SHIRT

Where did you get those from - official top 10 is -

1 Flo Rida Ft Kesha - Right Round

2 Saturdays - Just Can't Get Enough

3 Lady Gaga - Poker Face

4 Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You

5 Taylor Swift - Love Story

6 Ti Ft Justin Timberlake - Dead And Gone

7 Lily Allen - The Fear

8 Lady Gaga - Just Dance

9 Shontelle - T-Shirt

10 Pussycat Dolls/Missy Elliott - Whatcha Think About That

Saturdays, Kelly Clarkson & Lady GaGa are worth playing and possibly Flo-Rida with an RnB crowd. The rest are a bit slow.

I've been asked for Lady Gaga, Flo Rida, Lily Allen & Kings of Leon in the last couple of weeks - 2 Weddings and a 50th, so not at 18ths, clubs etc. And anyhow, since when did we only play what people ask for and not chosen tracks ourselves too?

Edited by Danno13

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

a) It is for Comic Relief

I have heard worse than that Chipmunk record. I'm undecided whether Ironik - Stay With Me or Soulja Buoy - Crank Dat is my worst record of the last year or so.

I actually like the Saturdays Cover, for the above reasons, but the song brings back many memories - and at least its not being sampled by some 19yr old kid and rapped over.

I played it on Friday night to a full dancefloor - and parents joined in (and I was bogging behind the gear.

Unfortunately, the mood was wreaked by many requests for Soulja Boy - now THAT peice of music really, really annoys me! ggrr (I've taken to letting Carmen put it on whilst I take a few mins breather! :yuck: )

I think it depends entirely on your market and the client and function you are aiming for. There are some tracks and 'must haves' which no doubt we all take from the same playlist from time to time, but then essentially there are tracks that you'd play at a Wedding which you'd never play in a club and vice-versa.

Anybody doing club work, pub work and U18's events are going to need, by default, significantly more chart / dance and in the case of club work - pre-release promo material, than those whose business plan is made up of weddings and anniversaries

Even the audience age / sex can sway hugely the playlist on any particular night, for example, I did a blokes 18th birthday the other week which had significantly less 'cheese' requested than the equivalant 18th birthday with a largely female element to the audience.

Who knows what tomorrow's gig will bring.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I think an important thing is to no be a sheep.

just because a song is requested doesn't mean it has to be played!! That decision is what you are being paid to make.

I think an important thing is to no be a sheep.

just because a song is requested doesn't mean it has to be played!! That decision is what you are being paid to make.

I strongly agree with this.... But I also think we as older DJs need to play the tune dependant on the audience and not on our age and feelings towards the song.... Same for young DJs playing older tracks.

Nik

I think it depends entirely on your market and the client and function you are aiming for. There are some tracks and 'must haves' which no doubt we all take from the same playlist from time to time, but then essentially there are tracks that you'd play at a Wedding which you'd never play in a club and vice-versa.

Anybody doing club work, pub work and U18's events are going to need, by default, significantly more chart / dance and in the case of club work - pre-release promo material, than those whose business plan is made up of weddings and anniversaries

Even the audience age / sex can sway hugely the playlist on any particular night, for example, I did a blokes 18th birthday the other week which had significantly less 'cheese' requested than the equivalant 18th birthday with a largely female element to the audience.

Who knows what tomorrow's gig will bring.

What an excellent post!

I really do despair sometimes when i read peoples replies.. not everyone is a function DJ and not everyone has a function DJ mentality..I spend a pretty penny on chart music as thats what my pub venue crowds want.. I also think that a lot of chart music is good. yes there are odd tracks that are not so great but that has always been the case.

I do find it shocking that as professionals that some here do not take a little interest in what is in the charts, yes they are not as representative as they used to be and the album chart IMHO is really more of a barometer of what the masses are currently into.

This is our job , our passion if we can not be bothered to even look each week at what's in the chats whether we like the songs or not.. what does that say about us?

I have played and been requested all the current top ten..I often look at the US chart to see what is going to be released here later to get a heads up.

I also look at what songs i should then get for karaoke , guessing which ones people will want to sing.

It is no wonder , general members of the public have a opinion that a lot of DJ's and KJ's will only play the same old cheese and same old karaoke songs , don't get me wrong i play loads of the standards but i do throw in chart stuff so everyone is happy and so my show is different each and every time working at a residency this is quite important to stop "groundhog day" .

I have got constant work through playing music that my audience likes and that includes chart music..

I am not knocking anyone and if your style works great but please remember not every one is the same.

as McCardle so eloquently said "I think it depends entirely on your market and the client and function you are aiming for"

Chart music has its place

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

• 5 months later...

Re: Chipmunk

Lest us 'older' DJs forget, other generations have inflicted:

Mr Blobby

Joe Dolce

and even Pinky and Perky :omg:

(Oh, and 'Little' Jimmy Osmond!!)

onto dancefloors across the country!!

Painful as it is, I also have to keep current doing 18ths, etc.

and have a kids night coming up at the end of the month

where that's all they'll want!! :hide: