Dj's United

Problem With My Speakers

Good Morning , Can someone help me please. I am new to Mobile Dj'ing and this week bought a Speaker package (BRAND NEW) which included 2x 15" Bass Bins and 2x 12" Top bins and a 1000w Amplifier. I connected the Top bin to the Bass Bin and then the Bass Bin to each side of my amp. The Sound was really good for approx 40mins then suddenly the sound went quiet. I appear to have lost my high end (Treble) and i noticed an electronic burning smell from one of the top bins. I managed to finish the party (but seemed all low end) . Thank god it was only a 2hr party. Can you please advise if i had connected wrong or i have maybe a faulty speaker set. Thanks . Woodpen

have you lost the top end on both of the speakers (left and right) or just one of them?

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Might be an idea to tell us what speakers they are and any ratings they might have Watts Ohms etc.

Not a lot to go on with what you have provided. Was this sold to you as a matched system? What I mean is did you go to a DJ store and the owner say this amp will work fine with these speakers or did you buy the amp from one place and the Speakers from another. Were the cables new that connected all the components together. Were you pumping a high level of sound out when this happened?

Give as much info as possible and the guys here will do there best to help....

Nik

Glossary required please.

Speakers are one of the most important items in our itinerary....but they have a lot of jargon attatched to them on here.

Scores of imponderable questions for me??

I entertain 80/120 people most of the time.I have never had bass bins...how would they enhance my sound more than turning up the bass knob on my mixer??

What are OHMS

WATTS

SUBS

TOPS

WOOFERS

HORNS

TWEETERS

CROSSOVERS......

And how would be life be more complete with them in it??

Also please define.....Active / Passive.......does active mean with built in amplifier??

Glossary required please.

Speakers are one of the most important items in our itinerary....but they have a lot of jargon attatched to them on here.

Scores of imponderable questions for me??

I entertain 80/120 people most of the time.I have never had bass bins...how would they enhance my sound more than turning up the bass knob on my mixer??

What are OHMS

WATTS

SUBS

TOPS

WOOFERS

HORNS

TWEETERS

CROSSOVERS......

And how would be life be more complete with them in it??

OK EBR I am not as technical as some of the guys on here and they will go into the mathmatics and the logarythms of Ohms and watts etc. But I will try to answer as I understand it.

OHMS The impedence of the speaker or capability of the amp as in 8 4 or even 2 ohm. You need to match the ohm's from your amp to the ohms of your speakers higher ohm speakers are ok with an amp that can handle lower ohm speakers as in and 8 ohm speaker being driven by an amp capable of 4 ohm but the other way round spells danger and can blow up your amp...

WATTS Is how most people measure the power of a speaker or amp but this is not as accurate as SPL or sound pressure level. How ever the most used refference is Watts RMS the more watts the louder it is or is capable of going reffers tro amps and speakers again.

SUBS They are the bass component of a multi way set up as in bass mid and treble on your mixer the bass goes to a sub that is dedicated to producing the low frequencies the mid goes to a speaker dedicated to the middle frequencies and the trebble goes to a speaker producing the high frequerncies.

TOPS Most people use a two way speaker system and tops are the mid and high frequency part of the system so in a two way system you would have Subs the bass bins if you like and tops which would actually have a cross over built in to then take the high frequencies only to a tweeter or a Speaker capable of delivering high frequencies

WOOFERS Again a form of speaker woffers are mid and below speakers its just a turm some people use a sub contains a woffer but so does a mid. Different drivers (another turm for the speaker component in a cab (The box that holds the speaker) are turned to different frequencies and so a sub woffer will perform better when producing low frequencies than a mid would and vice versa.

HORNS You can have HF horns which is high frequency but you can also have compression mid horns and folded sub forms. Its a way of delivering the sound from a speaker. But in the main when a DJ talks a bout a horn (other than the great girl he talked to at the gig lol) He means a HF horn.

TWEETERS See above

CROSSOVERS They can be passive as in built in the box and not needing any extra power or active and are usually rack mounted. The passive ones are fitted after the amp and the active ones are before the amp so its mixer >EQ > Crossover > Amp > Speaker.

If your happy with your sound and it all works fine dont change a thing if you want a system that will perform better then look at getting some subs etc they will take the strain of your mids (or tops) and so make for a better less stressed system. The down side is more equipment more expence and more gear to lug around...

As I say this is a very basic laymans turm on the above points so please the engineers on here dont shoot me down in flames if it aint 100% accurate.

Nik

Sounds like you blew a tweeter. This happens when the amp is clipped, i.e. you try to get more volume out of it than it can safely provide. Get it fixed, then either play it a little more quietly next time or buy a bigger system!

Good Morning , Can someone help me please. I am new to Mobile Dj'ing and this week bought a Speaker package (BRAND NEW) which included 2x 15" Bass Bins and 2x 12" Top bins and a 1000w Amplifier. I connected the Top bin to the Bass Bin and then the Bass Bin to each side of my amp. The Sound was really good for approx 40mins then suddenly the sound went quiet. I appear to have lost my high end (Treble) and i noticed an electronic burning smell from one of the top bins. I managed to finish the party (but seemed all low end) . Thank god it was only a 2hr party. Can you please advise if i had connected wrong or i have maybe a faulty speaker set. Thanks . Woodpen

Hi Thanks , It looks like the tweeters have blown , there is a small printed board inside the top bins which has burnt causing the tweeter to stop working although the 12" driver works ok. Ive been told to buy a crossover unit and run two amps. What you think caused it. Thanks

If I were to have bought it brand new and as a package, it would be going straight back to the shop for them to sort it out.

Not only should you not have to pay for the repairs, but by doing ANY repairs yourself you will void ALL warranties.

Jim

And we still don't know the makes/models of the speakers & amp in question....

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]