Dj's United

Denon Hd2500 Questions/faults?

Last monday my new x500 arrived, along with the new HD2500

Ok, the mixer problem........ Connected all inputs on 1, 2, 3, 4 but the "routing" the input chanel selector switches do not apply to the correct channels

for example I have connected input 1 line in... but the selector has to be on 5!!

On input 2 line in, the selector knob has to be on 4!!

And so on, so on.... all the routings are wrong, they do not corrispond to the channel inputs ....it didnt stop me perfoming, as i simply chose the correct route that gave me a signal per channel, but i'm really surprised on a pro mixer from denon, its incorrectly internally wired by the looks? Also to add to the problem, I found that the balance output was slightly out... the main LED meter is slightly biased to the right channel, and it shows on my speaker management controller VU lights too.... You can tell its "off" with the right side louder than the left side, even with balance pot in the center. Again, it wasnt a problem, coz i simply altered the balance to match on the pot... did thye whole gif with the balance pot at "11 oclock" so to speak to equalize the output..... this mixer is obviously a dud!!

Ok on to my 2500 problems..... (latest firmware installed)

Hard drive (internal) loaded with my music files this week, ran the database, all ok!! so i thought!!

Gigging tonight for the first time since bought it, noticed a few annoying problems...

scrolling my music files... up 2 date.... end of night.... motown.... 80's ...... 70's..... etc etc

press the knob down to open a folder

up comes my music files in the folder, can send them to the deck no problem

BUT when i press the "go back/return" button, the folder that i have chosen the last file from is MISSING!!

I have to go back to the main folder of "my music" and open it up, then it will show all the sub folders.

But it wont show them all just simply by "pressing go back once"

Also finding tracks without a keyboard..... I was undr the impression that if I open a folder of say "up 2 date" and ive got 800 tracks stored on the screen in front of me, I can push and turn the knob at the same time to plough through the alphabet quickly to find "S" for sugarbaes without spending ages scrolling a,b,c,d,e,f, etc etc

I was turning the jog wheel to get to the "s" quicker.... but its not really ideal? an anyone help with these issues?

Also another annoying problem.... on the screen it will say " bodyrockers - I like" then scroll the rest of the track info slowly so you have to wait ten seconds or so until you can read the full track title to see if its the remix version or whatever before you send it to the player... know what I mean?

The player is great, but these issues are simple ones that I really need to sort out. Especially when you can get asked to play somethin quick and need speed...

Thanks in advance for your help

OK i'm going to answer this the best I can. I'm sure others can contribute. Lots of questions ...

Last monday my new x500 arrived, along with the new HD2500

Good choices IMO.

Ok, the mixer problem........ Connected all inputs on 1, 2, 3, 4 but the "routing" the input chanel selector switches do not apply to the correct channels. for example I have connected input 1 line in... but the selector has to be on 5!! On input 2 line in, the selector knob has to be on 4!!

OK I don't mean to be harsh here, but did you read the manual ?? This mixer has a matrix system so you can assign any fader to any input on the back. This is by design and is a useful feature when you have lots of sources connected to the back.

Also to add to the problem, I found that the balance output was slightly out... the main LED meter is slightly biased to the right channel, and it shows on my speaker management controller VU lights too.... You can tell its "off" with the right side louder than the left side, even with balance pot in the center. Again, it wasnt a problem, coz i simply altered the balance to match on the pot... did thye whole gif with the balance pot at "11 oclock" so to speak to equalize the output..... this mixer is obviously a dud!!

I can't comment on this. I have 2 of these mixers and it seems to be fine.

Ok on to my 2500 problems..... (latest firmware installed)

Hard drive (internal) loaded with my music files this week, ran the database, all ok!! so i thought!!

Gigging tonight for the first time since bought it, noticed a few annoying problems...

scrolling my music files... up 2 date.... end of night.... motown.... 80's ...... 70's..... etc etc

press the knob down to open a folder

up comes my music files in the folder, can send them to the deck no problem

BUT when i press the "go back/return" button, the folder that i have chosen the last file from is MISSING!!

I have to go back to the main folder of "my music" and open it up, then it will show all the sub folders.

But it wont show them all just simply by "pressing go back once"

I think what you are referring to here is that fact that you cannot scroll back up the list when you press BACK. This is again 'by design' but is a limitation of the design IMO. You will get used to it. It's just the way it works.

Also finding tracks without a keyboard..... I was undr the impression that if I open a folder of say "up 2 date" and ive got 800 tracks stored on the screen in front of me, I can push and turn the knob at the same time to plough through the alphabet quickly to find "S" for sugarbaes without spending ages scrolling a,b,c,d,e,f, etc etc

I was turning the jog wheel to get to the "s" quicker.... but its not really ideal? an anyone help with these issues?

Again, this is mentioned in the manual. Hold down and twist the parameter knob to move through the letters. Also experiment with the 2 step search which is configurable in the Menu. You can then browse by Genre, then Artist, then it shows the tracks. It gets you there quicker. I don't browse by folder so i can't help you with that, but having 800 in a folder doesn't help (there is a 1000 track limit folder limit on the HD2500 anyhow), so you might want to think about sub-dividing, say into 00s-RNB, 00s-Dance. etc.

That said. it is much easier with a keyboard. Keysonic make a very small one which I use, which isn't illuminated, but I know there are some small illuminated ones too, which is useful.

Also another annoying problem.... on the screen it will say " bodyrockers - I like" then scroll the rest of the track info slowly so you have to wait ten seconds or so until you can read the full track title to see if its the remix version or whatever before you send it to the player... know what I mean?

Again this is a 'feature'. Use the Info Button and scroll up and down and this will give a bit more info on the track, but it's not ideal. It tend to shorten title tags which helps me naviagte quicker

The player is great, but these issues are simple ones that I really need to sort out. Especially when you can get asked to play somethin quick and need speed...

You'll get used to it. I recommend getting a keyboard. I can change tracks with 30 seconds to go no problem. Requests sometimes get granted as they a going back to the dancefloor. As they say 'Practise and Enjoy!"

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

...all the routings are wrong...

I think DH has covered this point.

...I found that the balance output was slightly out...

This could be a problem because, like DH, I've never noticed it on my gear. At least I don't think I do but I don't have a speaker management controller!

Can't help but smile at the genre 'up to date'. A DJ friend used to have a similar category in his CD box. However, he must have started it in the mid 90's because it contained everything from Oasis' first album to Blur to EMF to Take That & Party!

[insert quirky comment]

The mixer is the second x500 i own... own another one already that ive used for 2 years...

I know its asignable, the problem is....

Say line 1 is accepting a signal from a cd player.... so on fader 1 the channel selector pot should be on 1 to get it to "output" but you have to put the pot on 4 to get the output

Channel 2 , is the same but this time you have to select 5!!

It all works, because you simply select the number "that works" but they do not corrispond to the channel numbers at all

If I have signals coming in from 4 sources.... say inputs 1, 2, 3, 4 The channel pot assign numbers should be switched to 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively along the face of the mixer from left to right

But I have to have mine on .... 4, 5, 2, and 7 to get my line signals through lol

even when ive only used 1, 2, 3, 4 inputs... 5, 6, 7, and 8 are not even plugged in???

The balance being a little out is a flaw on this mixer, its only a little out, but all night long the VU level was biased to the right hand side.... and was noticably louder on the right obviously. I fixed it easy enough by adjusting the balance off center on the pot main output. But for a brand new mixer, these problems should not be their. Thinking of sending it back, The prices have gone up loads on Denon stuff lately... So cost me more than my other one by far

HD2500

So to explain further, I switch on, I select "my music" main folder.......

I then select "80's" folder

I want "erasure"

So I hold down and turn the parameter knob..... but it will not scroll down the alphabet, only scrolls singualry through the A's and B's etc etc taking ages to get to "E"

I thought by holding and turning the parameter knob, it quickly allows you to go to the start letter of the alphabet?

Also when I hold down the parameter knob, and turn it, expecting it to whizz through the alphabet.... soon as you release your "push" it loads the song that it happens to be on when you let go...Annoying!

I ended up using the jog wheel to whizz through the files to find tracks, but this still took time.

Not too bothered, as the unit is ace! so fast and great features, just some beginners annoying problems

The other problem about missing file is....

switch on..... press my music..... press 80's ...... press Erasure..... loads great!!

But then I wanna search again for a track ..... press the little white return button...... to hopefully ""go back"" to the 80's folder...... MISSING!!

Ive got to press the white return button twice to go back to "my music" and then press the parameter button again to get the 80's folder up on screen

Surely just by pressing return should display the 80's folder after you've just used it?

Thanks for ya help anyway guys .... the more the merrier! I'm sure i'll get used to it

I know the keyboard will make it easier, but it was my first gig with it last night, and didnt have one handy.

BTW up 2 date was an example.... I have several Up 2 date folders 01 02 03 04 bla bla lol

Edited by jeffwall

The mixer is faulty and should go back, I can't think for the life of me how that particular routing problem has arrisen!!

You should be able to go through the letters by holding down the preset, both of mine do. Are you absolutely sure your files are up to date and the database version is also the latest, as the old build of the database will not work with the latest updates. Both MM and the version of the software must be compatible.

Keep us informed on this Jeff, interesting!

Re - the mixer

Have you checked that the phono slide switches on the back are in the right position compared to your other one?

You sound pretty au fait with the mixer, so sorry if i'm insulting your intelligence. I can't explain the out of balance symptom, my DNX1500 (bigger brother) was faulty from new as well and had to go back.

I guess that as a fully digital mixer, any firmware glitch could give very weird symptoms.

confirmed faulty mixer, went through the process tonight in testing each chanell to see what output it comes out at on the selector switches.... I was slightly mistaken, its only 1 and 2 that are mixed up... I can live with that to be honest. Also tested the balance being "off" too, its fine now, so dont get it?? haha

was defo out when I gigged on saturday, perhaps a faulty line cable from 2500 has caused this, so replaced the 3 line cables from players to mixer... all seems fine. Dont wanna send it back over to inputs being in-correct, when I simply assign where I want anyway

Still having a few issues with the 2500, Its likely its just me not being used to it

I notice I can push and hold the parameter knob to scroll the alphabet, but it only works after I press file view button, otherwise It dont work... I'll get used to it lol

confirmed faulty mixer, went through the process tonight in testing each chanell to see what output it comes out at on the selector switches.... I was slightly mistaken, its only 1 and 2 that are mixed up... I can live with that to be honest. Also tested the balance being "off" too, its fine now, so dont get it?? haha

was defo out when I gigged on saturday, perhaps a faulty line cable from 2500 has caused this, so replaced the 3 line cables from players to mixer... all seems fine. Dont wanna send it back over to inputs being in-correct, when I simply assign where I want anyway

Still having a few issues with the 2500, Its likely its just me not being used to it

I notice I can push and hold the parameter knob to scroll the alphabet, but it only works after I press file view button, otherwise It dont work... I'll get used to it lol

A few day's late here but........ Denon dj forums........ Direct support , straight from the horses mouth !

Good choice on the hd2500 !