Dj's United

I have been looking at USB style mixers and wonder if any one on here has used one. Not a controller but a mixer...

I like the more trad style PA mixer to a DJ mixer but I want a rack mount one. So any recomendations and any reviews would be great..

Ta very much

Nik

A&H ZED range

Had one since they came out a few months ago, great mixer

USB in and out

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

A&H ZED range

Had one since they came out a few months ago, great mixer

USB in and out

Yes they look good for the price you cant fault A&H stuff. Can you give some more personal info on this mixer. Is it one usb from the PC to the mixer or can you have two chan's for deck A & B for example? do they come with rack ears as standard?

Any one else got any info please?

Nik

Edited by UKHero

Nik

Call me after 1400hrs.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I don't know if it is just me, but that mixer you suggested in the link does not seem to be a USB Mixer, just the standard Citronic CDM 10:4. Are you confusing it with the Citronic 4:2 USB mixer, which does look quite similiar?

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=4288&cat=97

There aren't really a lot of USB Mixers in comparison to normal ones. What sort of price are you looking at? Is there any particular reason why you want a usb mixer, apart from not having to connect an extra lead to a soundcard? In many ways it is better to get them separately - if your usb mixer fails then you lose both the mixer function and the built in soundcard function. Also unless you go high end you inevitably end up comprimising on soundcard quality and it is normally cheaper to buy a similiarly specced mixer and an external soundcard, unless you buy budget end usb mixers.

I don't know if it is just me, but that mixer you suggested in the link does not seem to be a USB Mixer, just the standard Citronic CDM 10:4. Are you confusing it with the Citronic 4:2 USB mixer, which does look quite similiar?

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=4288&cat=97

There aren't really a lot of USB Mixers in comparison to normal ones. What sort of price are you looking at? Is there any particular reason why you want a usb mixer, apart from not having to connect an extra lead to a soundcard? In many ways it is better to get them separately - if your usb mixer fails then you lose both the mixer function and the built in soundcard function. Also unless you go high end you inevitably end up comprimising on soundcard quality and it is normally cheaper to buy a similiarly specced mixer and an external soundcard, unless you buy budget end usb mixers.

DOH your right its this one Click me now

I have an edirol USB sound card 10 in 10 out very high spec. and a Soundcraft desk but I want something that I can easily flight case and hide all the wires its the most untidy part of my set up in my opinion.

I just thought a mixer with USB built in would be good for using one of my 3 laptops with out having to worry about drivers and periferal software.

I used to use Citronic stuff years ago and at one time was the industry standard but wanted some info from people on here who had experience of this kind of mixer.

I do like the A&H as mentioned above but I am not convinced its what I am looking for. I am a party Wedding DJ so not into mixing to much or scratching just playing songs back to back is what I do so dont need a fancy mixer with all the bells and whistles...

Nik

Edited by UKHero

If you flight case the mixer, then surely you could just somehow attach the external sound card to the inside of the case and leave it permenantly connected to the mixer inputs/outputs?

I have the DMX controller, Sound card in there. All I need to do is then open the flight case, pull out the mains, USB, DMX and cables to the power amp.. All in the one box and makes setting up so much easier (and neater too).

Cheers,

David.

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

If you flight case the mixer, then surely you could just somehow attach the external sound card to the inside of the case and leave it permenantly connected to the mixer inputs/outputs?

I have the DMX controller, Sound card in there. All I need to do is then open the flight case, pull out the mains, USB, DMX and cables to the power amp.. All in the one box and makes setting up so much easier (and neater too).

Cheers,

David.

Hi Dave thanks for the reply. I sort of have it like that right now. But the mixer is not rack mounted in the case just sits there and all the wires have to come from underneath it. I have my radio mic recierver in there along with my Edirol SC and all the mains etc but it is all just crammed in to what should have been a CD flight case.... I want to have a mixer my radio mic and a HDC or CD player all in one box nice and neat with one mains plug no wires showing other than the ins and outs.

I also want it to be interchangeable with my wifes set up so if we use her laptop it works with no issues on software etc.

Nik

I really don't know whether I should even mention this company name here :yuck: but a high street trader in all things electronic has this one :- MMX-410 4-channel Pro Mixer.

It's only because you yourself brought up the citronic!!!!! :yuck:

Sorry, my mistake......I thought I'd been looking at a USB version......but it obviously ain't!

Edited by digitaldistortion

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

I really don't know whether I should even mention this company name here :yuck: but a high street trader in all things electronic has this one :- MMX-410 4-channel Pro Mixer.

It's only because you yourself brought up the citronic!!!!! :yuck:

Sorry, my mistake......I thought I'd been looking at a USB version......but it obviously ain't!

Hi DD

So are you saying that Prosound is as good or better quality wise than Citronic?

Nik

when you consider that Citronic is actually Skytronic/Skytec

im not sure if i could choose between Prosound and Skytec....

OMG nooooooo Citronic is as bad as Prosound. This is bad news to me.... Would you say that numark is better than citronic then?

Nik

What about the similarly named Omnitronic? I inherited an Omnitronic 'club' 19in mixer (in blue), that came with a flight-case...

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

id give Numark the edge, especially the new range of numark mixers, they have a nice quality feel about them

But what is the sound quality like this is important to me?

Ok any suggestions of a non usb mixer thats upto say £300 that comes rack mounted I preffer the normal mixer to the DJ style mixer but can be swayed... What a bout the new Behringer desks? Or the Yamaha desk?

Nik

Edited by UKHero

Denon x500, the best sound I have found in this price level.

Thanks for your input I know you have worked in a music shop so take your comments on board I will look at this mixer.

Nik

Hi DD

So are you saying that Prosound is as good or better quality wise than Citronic?

Nik

I would say that Citronic ISN'T what it once was.......and to be honest I don't really think it was ever anything more than basic/mor gear. I can remember back in the 70s that a good percentage of plinths were citronic, but they weren't really offering anything different than you could buy and mount yourself (IMHO)

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Took your advice and got this many thanks Andy and everyone else who replied.

Click Me

Nik

You won't be dissapointed. I have two, and considering I can order whatever I want at TRADE PRICES, my choice is massive. The Denon is an excellent bit of kit for a standard mobile dj, no effects etc but neither you nor me would use them anyhow.

In all fairness I use a Zoom reverb/pitch shifter etc on the insert and usually "shift" the Birthday Boy's speech, best man etc etc. Good fun and when I am on with a singer I can use it for reverb, making my console ideal for "tribute" type artistes.

You won't be dissapointed. I have two, and considering I can order whatever I want at TRADE PRICES, my choice is massive. The Denon is an excellent bit of kit for a standard mobile dj, no effects etc but neither you nor me would use them anyhow.

In all fairness I use a Zoom reverb/pitch shifter etc on the insert and usually "shift" the Birthday Boy's speech, best man etc etc. Good fun and when I am on with a singer I can use it for reverb, making my console ideal for "tribute" type artistes.

Yes I have an FX unit that I will put in the rack along with an EQ two Radio Mic recievers and maybe an HDC for another back up.

Thanks again for the recommendation. Its on its way as I have been given a tracker no so hope it comes tomorrow.

Nik

when you consider that Citronic is actually Skytronic/Skytec

But only within the past 6 years. Citronic was a well respected manufacturer with products originally designed and built in the UK, and during the 70's , 80's and 90's along with other companies like Cloud Electronics most DJ's owned (or had owned) at least one product or a console made by them at some stage in their career smile icon .

I suppose you have to wonder whether Skytec inherited and used Citronics' technology and reputation in their new range of equipment marketed under both brand names or whether the reverse has happened and Citronic has just become a budget brand :( . When VW bought out Skoda, they didn't suddenly start fitting Skoda engines into their Golfs and Polos, it was the budget brand which inherited the technology and reliability of VW. Could the same have happened here?.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

its not necessarily the technology, its the production values

first thing they did was to shift all production to China, the first batch of twin CD players were terrible and the mixers often arrived with half the screws loose

Yes I see what your saying I have two Mackie SRM450 one made in italy and one made in China.

The italian one makes no noise when turned on, however the Chinese one makes a small pop as you turn it one. I guess a smoothing capasitor or something was left off the chinese one.

Nik

Edited by UKHero